2020 cycling thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 23273
  • Start date
( Ellingworth also there)
Didn’t know that, probably what’s fuelling the rumour...
Anyone notice drivers are particularly mental and dangerous on a friday? Nearly clipped 3 or 4 times this morning.
Not fridays particularly...

but in general, whereas 7 weeks ago the roads at the beginning of lockdown were empty, it’s noticeable the level of traffic has ramped back up again...

Last edited:

Do you still do it? Had booked onto a taser session thing which obviously got cancelled, thought I’d see what it’s like as it’s quite easy to get to from work for a couple of hours a week practice. Never ridden a fixie before so will probably end up in a heap at the bottom of the banking.

I did a taster session at Manchester about 8 years ago now - really enjoyed it

fixie and clips took a bit of getting used to - thought i had cracked it until i came in to land at the very end, completely forgot and took out the instructor and ended up in a heap on top of her (very cute little thing she was as well)

was a full kit wanker in my replica Sky WC top (ala Cav), got picked up by an old bloke who said 'dont worry son, I've seen the real deal do just that on this track)

:)

I did a taster session at Manchester about 8 years ago now - really enjoyed it

fixie and clips took a bit of getting used to - thought i had cracked it until i came in to land at the very end, completely forgot and took out the instructor and ended up in a heap on top of her (very cute little thing she was as well)

was a full kit wanker in my replica Sky WC top (ala Cav), got picked up by an old bloke who said 'dont worry son, I've seen the real deal do just that on this track)

:)
Every time with newbies it's the end that gets them. Pass the finish line and people start to try and free wheel.

Every time with newbies it's the end that gets them. Pass the finish line and people start to try and free wheel.

Silly question as I have never ridden a fixie but if you stop pedalling and relax your legs does the wheel not just drive your legs round?
Or do most people stop pedalling and try and keep their legs still at say 2 and 8 o’clock which then causes the problems?

Last edited:
Silly question as I have never ridden a fixie but if you stop pedalling and relax your legs does the wheel not just drive your legs round?
Or do most people stop pedalling and try and keep their legs still at say 2 and 8 o’clock which then causes the problems?
Yeah but it's the not expecting it bit. So people soft lock at 12 and 6 or 8 and 3 then the back wheel freezes and jumps.

Going down hills is the tricky one.

Actually I find one of the biggest problems is if I've only been riding the fixie for a few weeks then the first time I get on a geared bike the first time you stop pedalling and the freewheel kicks in does me heed in cos the muscle memory is expecting everything to be still in fixed mode. Actually come close to coming off a couple of times because of that

Actually I find one of the biggest problems is if I've only been riding the fixie for a few weeks then the first time I get on a geared bike the first time you stop pedalling and the freewheel kicks in does me heed in cos the muscle memory is expecting everything to be still in fixed mode. Actually come close to coming off a couple of times because of that
Not sure I've ridden anything other than my fixie since September

Just started getting out on my road-ish bike, new pedals and shoes for first time. Anyone recommend a good quiet circular sround durham dales? Was thinking of starting from park n ride, 40ish mile? Cheers

Just purchased my first hybrid/road bike

What's people average bike ride distance. Usually been going around 10 miles on my old mountain bike.

Are Range Rover drivers actually worse than BMW drivers? Riding along and get pulled out on from the right. The road is empty, so I assume he'll cut across the road and not be in my way. But no, comes all the way across to the left and nearly puts me into the curb.
Just purchased my first hybrid/road bike

What's people average bike ride distance. Usually been going around 10 miles on my old mountain bike.
Started using a turbo so 20 or 30 miles outside plus a few hours of suffering on that. If it's more road bike it'll roll so much better that 20 on the road will feel like 10 if it's set up right.

Last edited:

Back