2020 cycling thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 23273
  • Start date
certainly is a good pad as far as I’m concerned..and I’ve tried loads. Like saddles, a personal choice....and I’m fully aware of the Le Col back story and Barkers selling to investors thanks.

they fit me perfectly...and I’m far from super skinny
How tall are you? If I was 6ft I think they'd be sound.

Similar to Rapha and less so Le Col. They started out innovating and developing the best possible stuff but institutional investment took over, Assos and it’s founder went back to R&D.

There are smaller, more passionate, less return-on-investment driven manufacturers who now produce far better clothing and better quality chamois.

Assos has retained exclusivity though.
I'd love to know what is better than my asos bib shorts like. 300km and 8000m of climbing in a day and bit a hint of rubbing or soreness.

Want to buy them? 60 quid, free postage

What's the sizing like? Canny annoying all these cycling companies, says xxl is a 38 waist, I'm a 36 ffs
I go for xl and I’m about 5’11” 34 waist and 44 chest all the stuff I’ve had off them fits well. Most stuff I get is xl so there sizing is compatible. Made by a uk firm so probably why it fits better.

I'd love to know what is better than my asos bib shorts like. 300km and 8000m of climbing in a day and bit a hint of rubbing or soreness.

Cycling wear is a bit of a hobby of mine. I collect old riders’ jerseys and got in contact with some of the older manufacturers, it started from there. If you scratch the surface with it, the evolution of kit is fascinating.

Assos use an Italian manufacturer for their chamois. They’re one of the best manufacturers there is. The same manufacturer however supply those same chamois you find in your shorts to lots of other brands. Brands like DHB, Trim-Tex (Hushovds brand), Isole and Kalas.
Assos are great, but there are cheaper and just as good out there. I get Assos are about the exclusivity of the brand, if you look good you feel good

Santini are one of the very few bigger brands to make their own chamois and not buy them in. Wiggins supposedly had Santini chamois sewn into his team kit as it was made.

Decca have been making kit since the 1970’s. They’re tested in the Belgian amateur teams In Flanders and their chamois have been the choice of Merckx, Sean Kelly, Joop Zoetemelk, Jan Raas, Freddy Maertens. They do also now buy in from the same supplier to Assos for their custom wear range. The top stuff is still their own.
Cycling wear is a bit of a hobby of mine. I collect old riders’ jerseys and got in contact with some of the older manufacturers, it started from there. If you scratch the surface with it, the evolution of kit is fascinating.

Assos use an Italian manufacturer for their chamois. They’re one of the best manufacturers there is. The same manufacturer however supply those same chamois you find in your shorts to lots of other brands. Brands like DHB, Trim-Tex (Hushovds brand), Isole and Kalas.
Assos are great, but there are cheaper and just as good out there. I get Assos are about the exclusivity of the brand, if you look good you feel good

Santini are one of the very few bigger brands to make their own chamois and not buy them in. Wiggins supposedly had Santini chamois sewn into his team kit as it was made.

Decca have been making kit since the 1970’s. They’re tested in the Belgian amateur teams In Flanders and their chamois have been the choice of Merckx, Sean Kelly, Joop Zoetemelk, Jan Raas, Freddy Maertens. They do also now buy in from the same supplier to Assos for their custom wear range. The top stuff is still their own.

Just a slight correction on that. Santini use De Marchi chamois under the brand name Symec. Also used by Rapha. Not surprisingly, they’re very good.

De Marchi make beautiful quality kit.

Last edited:

Just a slight correction on that. Santini use De Marchi chamois under the brand name Symec. Also used by Rapha. Not surprisingly, they’re very good.

De Marchi make beautiful quality kit.
Good post. I found the assos floating chamois the best thing about them. I've had dhb before and not impressed with it to be honest. The assos bins are 5+ year old now and still as good as gold.

Screen and gps permanently on, a couple of hours. Screen off, gps on around five. As the phone is on the bars, it’s a press of a button to get the screen on to check the map.
That's still no use for touring. You would need to carry power banks and/or have a dynamo charging system on the bike, which is a lot of extra expense & faff.
I have never felt the need to have a permanent map display on my handlebars anyway. Loads of times I have been in a group where I seem to have been the only one without some sort of smart device clamped on to the bars. Perhaps I'm just an old fart stick-in-the-mud.

Last edited:
I go for xl and I’m about 5’11” 34 waist and 44 chest all the stuff I’ve had off them fits well. Most stuff I get is xl so there sizing is compatible. Made by a uk firm so probably why it fits better.
6ft 2, 213lb, xxl fit me perfect in planet x gear, but morvelo are snug.

What do you lads use phones mounted on handlebars for?
Serious question. My phone goes in back pocket.

Loads of apps to show various stats (I like cycledroid, simple, no ads and free), I also have a Lezyne thing but my old eyes like the big phone screen better.
You can do loads of shite like program a route with target times etc.
But my main use is motivation, try to maintain a minimum average speed for eg.
This week I told the missus to send me a text when the pizza arrived :lol:

I had an embarrassing topple today. My fixed gear bike has a tight frame with a bit of toe overlap on the front wheel. So if you stand up to move away from standing at lights with your toe the wrong side of the wheel you are fucked. I ended up flat on my back under the front wheels of a builders' van with the lads in the van pissing themselves. It's years since I last did it - I'd almost forgotten how much of a twat you feel when you do it 😅

I had an embarrassing topple today. My fixed gear bike has a tight frame with a bit of toe overlap on the front wheel. So if you stand up to move away from standing at lights with your toe the wrong side of the wheel you are fucked. I ended up flat on my back under the front wheels of a builders' van with the lads in the van pissing themselves. It's years since I last did it - I'd almost forgotten how much of a twat you feel when you do it 😅
I had a spill today. Was on fixie doing a track stand at the lights. Green. Gave it the big heave ho and my right cleat popped out. Kneed the bars so they turned 90 degrees and over we went

Yes. Absolutely loved it.

Do you still do it? Had booked onto a taser session thing which obviously got cancelled, thought I’d see what it’s like as it’s quite easy to get to from work for a couple of hours a week practice. Never ridden a fixie before so will probably end up in a heap at the bottom of the banking.

Do you still do it? Had booked onto a taser session thing which obviously got cancelled, thought I’d see what it’s like as it’s quite easy to get to from work for a couple of hours a week practice. Never ridden a fixie before so will probably end up in a heap at the bottom of the banking.
I did some racing yeah. Honestly most fun you'll have doing scratch. It's hot af in there. The worst bit of the assessment is keeping 4 in line around the bends. Some poor bloke is at 30 degrees plus pleading for your inside rider to speed up.

Worst thing about fixie is not riding a fixie off track. I commute on one so it's fine but when you blow over the line you think you can freewheel. Nope.

I did some racing yeah. Honestly most fun you'll have doing scratch. It's hot af in there. The worst bit of the assessment is keeping 4 in line around the bends. Some poor bloke is at 30 degrees plus pleading for your inside rider to speed up.

Worst thing about fixie is not riding a fixie off track. I commute on one so it's fine but when you blow over the line you think you can freewheel. Nope.

Doubt I will go as far as racing, just use it as an alternative to outdoor riding come the winter months.
That’s my biggest worry, forgetting I am on one and trying to freewheel!

Doubt I will go as far as racing, just use it as an alternative to outdoor riding come the winter months.
That’s my biggest worry, forgetting I am on one and trying to freewheel!
Yeah you need to be racing. Honestly it's amazing. People calling out numbers on your name, lights, music. It's brilliant.

I've taken to no handing pedalling as my soft pedal now so I don't have free wheel as an option.

Yeah you need to be racing. Honestly it's amazing. People calling out numbers on your name, lights, music. It's brilliant.

I've taken to no handing pedalling as my soft pedal now so I don't have free wheel as an option.

I used to ride everywhere doing none handers as a kid, now I get a bit nervous taking one hand off to get a drink!

Hopefully things might start easing up in the next few weeks and the place can reopen.

I used to ride everywhere doing none handers as a kid, now I get a bit nervous taking one hand off to get a drink!

Hopefully things might start easing up in the next few weeks and the place can reopen.
Rising a fix with no hands is well balanced. Honestly my bike handling since I got the fixie is so much better.

Riding on the track is fun, but you should ride fixed gear on the road. Everyone should, they just don't realise it. Yes, MT & I both fell off ours today but don't let that put you off.

Back