2020 cycling thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 23273
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23273

Cyclists of the SMB. What have you got planned for this year? Personally, I’m getting out twice a week and getting in the best shape I can for the Australian Police and Emergency Services Games being held in Wollongong in October. That’s my goal, what’s yours?

No goals as such....try and get about the same miles in as previous years, couple of cycling trips abroad to look forward to.

oh and try to avoid being clattered and abused by motorists would be a start

Nothing really planned. But intentions are to do more miles 2020 than 2019. If i stay injury free, thats probable.
Will get a new road bike soon. Mrs R is urging me to do this, not my idea. I'm tight as fuck and my current road bike is rideable once you get used to its faults.
But it let me down on our last summer hols, ( well, it was the back wheel) and i spent 300 euros for a hire bike. Will let the shit weather pass before i get one, and in time for our hols this year. The one i hired was a "Time". French brand i believe and was very good. Hoping to participate in cx races this year. Missed most of them last year.

Nothing really planned. But intentions are to do more miles 2020 than 2019. If i stay injury free, thats probable.
Will get a new road bike soon. Mrs R is urging me to do this, not my idea. I'm tight as fuck and my current road bike is rideable once you get used to its faults.
But it let me down on our last summer hols, ( well, it was the back wheel) and i spent 300 euros for a hire bike. Will let the shit weather pass before i get one, and in time for our hols this year. The one i hired was a "Time". French brand i believe and was very good. Hoping to participate in cx races this year. Missed most of them last year.

Try second hand, you can generally pick up a bargain around this time of year.
You can pick up nigh on new bikes relatively cheap...

My aim is to get out more. Bought my first road bike in August and only managed about 10 rides so far due to work and weather but did 61km yesterday in -5c and loved it. Same again tomorrow. Hoping to get to a stage where 100km in a single ride is normal/standard. I'm no chubster and I'm quite fit athletically so shouldn't be an issue, just practice with a new form of exercise that's all (I'm used to running and football).

I've put 10 pound on over Christmas I'm Zwifting till that's gone: doubt I'd get my winter tights on atm.

Cyclists of the SMB. What have you got planned for this year? Personally, I’m getting out twice a week and getting in the best shape I can for the Australian Police and Emergency Services Games being held in Wollongong in October. That’s my goal, what’s yours?
Coast and castles for me and the London to Paris 24hr sportive. I must be mad.
Well that would probably mean you going starkers ;)

Wouldn't be averse to something like the CTC in a day.
Last year I set off from Redcar and did coast to coast to coast. Got back at 6.55pm and did the Stockton wheelers club 10 at 7! Was ruined but still managed 27.45

Last edited:
Coast and castles for me and the London to Paris 24hr sportive. I must be mad.

Last year I set off from Redcar and did coast to coast to coast. Got back at 6.55pm and did the Stockton wheelers club 10 at 7! Was ruined but still managed 27.45

What course is their 10 on ?

I've got a helluva an advantage in this department.

Retired. ( check)

Bike paths like motorways ( check)

Live in a country of wonderful weather,minimum 300 days a year of blue skies and sunshine ( check).

Continue to my 1500 klms a month ( check ).

Not too hilly for a gentleman of senior years ( check).

When life gives you lemons make lemonade I suppose

Happy New Year :).

Back