2020 cycling thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 23273
  • Start date
Mud guards 👀🤦‍♂️😂 winter boots? Soft, I just use toe covers

really suffer in the cold...still in bib tights, winter jackets, winter gloves, buff and skullcap :eek:

having said that last week in shorts and short sleeves.

no point in gunning it on rides if I’m on a winter bike and carrying all the weight ;)

this time of year I do start some hill reps but that’s about it

really suffer in the cold...still in bib tights, winter jackets, winter gloves, buff and skullcap :eek:

having said that last week in shorts and short sleeves.

no point in gunning it on rides if I’m on a winter bike and carrying all the weight ;)

this time of year I do start some hill reps but that’s about it
I wore ear warmers, a thicker jacket, bib trousers, and a buff, with toe covers. I overheat loads, I wore a cap today to absorb sweat. I was in shorts today too.

Why do you do hill reps if you're not competing?

I wore ear warmers, a thicker jacket, bib trousers, and a buff, with toe covers. I overheat loads, I wore a cap today to absorb sweat. I was in shorts today too.

Why do you do hill reps if you're not competing?

has always been a panic measure in the month or so before Mallorca ( bike equivalent of last minute exam cramming)
Meant when I got out there and swapped winter bike for a nice carbon hire bike and had a few weeks of Cox Green in the legs it wasn’t a huge shock...

So even though not now going its almost a March/April tradition now

has always been a panic measure in the month or so before Mallorca ( bike equivalent of last minute exam cramming)
Meant when I got out there and swapped winter bike for a nice carbon hire bike and had a few weeks of Cox Green in the legs it wasn’t a huge shock...

So even though not now going its almost a March/April tradition now
Ahh I get it.
Is why we cycle no?
If it was for fun I wouldn't be doing hill reps, especially at cox green.

Ahh I get it.

If it was for fun I wouldn't be doing hill reps, especially at cox green.

still bitter that Rocka nicked the KOM...doing it as a one off blast up rather than being part of a ride is f***ing wrang....not that I’m bitter or owt :lol: and I’ve told the twat that
And I know I won’t have those legs again:evil:

still bitter that Rocka nicked the KOM...doing it as a one off blast up rather than being part of a ride is f***ing wrang....not that I’m bitter or owt :lol: and I’ve told the twat that
And I know I won’t have those legs again:evil:
f***ing strava wankers

Mud guards 👀🤦‍♂️😂 winter boots? Soft, I just use toe covers
I've been known to put a jumper on and a pair of jeans in winter.Rather than cycle shirt and shorts for 10 months.

Tough as owld boots us owld buggers.Them 15C winter days down under can be chilly at 8am😊

I'll get the pressure washer out this week. I normally use gt85 and a rag on the chain and then lube. I don't trust myself to take my chain and casette off.

Get a chain cleaning tool. Open it up, close it around chain, fill with degreaser, back pedal for a minute, open up, pour dirty degreaser where next doors cat will drink it, put away, stand back and admire your gleaming chain.

I've not been out on my bike since the lockdown started, except for one slow pootle around the streets with my young sun. Until yesterday when there was an emergency at work I had to pop in for. 5 mile there, 5 mile back and it left me feeling great afterwards.

I've not been out on my bike since the lockdown started, except for one slow pootle around the streets with my young sun. Until yesterday when there was an emergency at work I had to pop in for. 5 mile there, 5 mile back and it left me feeling great afterwards.

Its frustrating as fuck, especially if the weather is canny. I've had the bairn out just to stretch her legs for an hour some days. Even that doesn't feel right in a weird way.

Spot on.

Bizarrely there are people on my Strava feed heading out on canny rides still.
It's not socially responsible doing a 40miler that takes almost 3hrs....not even close to home either. Then having the nerve to post the fuking ride on Strava.

Rant over :)

Been out everyday this week , twice I was out for one hour twenty minutes ,I’m sure the curtain twitchers in our street have noticed and logged it accordingly.

As for going out on your tod for three hours , I can understand stand why folk are tempted to do it , less risk than standing in a queue at Tesco from the virus imho.

Posting it on Strava is a bit dim though.

I'm only doing one or two rides a week at the moment, but the last one a, few days ago, ended up being over 3 hours. What constitutes "close to home"? Is it supposed to mean within half a mile of your house or is it the idea that you shouldn't drive 50 miles to then get out and ride? My rides at the moment probably never stray much more than 10 miles away from my house, and sometimes have been just hill reps etc never much more than a couple of miles away. The focus for me is social distancing. Whether walking, running or cycling I try to use routes and times where there are likely to be fewer people (I am lucky to live somewhere that that is possible), and I avoid going out on the bike in nice weather when there will be more people around (for some reason if you ride into the Peak district back roads early morning in the freezing drizzle you never see anyone else!). I guess what with my age and a heart condition I need to consider what I do at the moment, and that is what I am trying to do. So I focus on hygiene, isolation and trying to keep fit. I only go out once a day. If that happens to be on a bike is it really an issue whether it is for an hour more or less than whatever? As far as I can judge the most risky thing I ever do is go to the supermarket.
We all live in different locations, environments, and in different circumstances (it must be particularly difficult if you have young kids for instance). One size doesn't fit all so we should be applying common sense in all things and trying to do the best we can, Shirley.

I'm only doing one or two rides a week at the moment, but the last one a, few days ago, ended up being over 3 hours. What constitutes "close to home"? Is it supposed to mean within half a mile of your house or is it the idea that you shouldn't drive 50 miles to then get out and ride? My rides at the moment probably never stray much more than 10 miles away from my house, and sometimes have been just hill reps etc never much more than a couple of miles away. The focus for me is social distancing. Whether walking, running or cycling I try to use routes and times where there are likely to be fewer people (I am lucky to live somewhere that that is possible), and I avoid going out on the bike in nice weather when there will be more people around (for some reason if you ride into the Peak district back roads early morning in the freezing drizzle you never see anyone else!). I guess what with my age and a heart condition I need to consider what I do at the moment, and that is what I am trying to do. So I focus on hygiene, isolation and trying to keep fit. I only go out once a day. If that happens to be on a bike is it really an issue whether it is for an hour more or less than whatever? As far as I can judge the most risky thing I ever do is go to the supermarket.
We all live in different locations, environments, and in different circumstances (it must be particularly difficult if you have young kids for instance). One size doesn't fit all so we should be applying common sense in all things and trying to do the best we can, Shirley.

If I’m told to stay near home and what actually constitutes close to home I will stick to it.
My rides are all solo ( apart from a weekly ride with missus on a Sunday )
Will continue to do longer rides Sat/Sun but obviously isolate by the fact I ride on my own.

will have to disagree with Slacky on whether it’s irresponsible cycling for 3 hours plus. Can’t see why a shorter mid week ride on my own on quiet roads is any more responsible than adding another 20 miles or so on a weekend.
Only go out once a day and that’s to bike...wife does shopping as Sainsbury’s dont allow couples

Last edited:
I've been out doing hill repeats before WFH (aiming for 45 to 50mins).

Doing it by time rather than distances but I worked out Friday to be 10 miles in 50mins

Planning to increase the time to 60 mins or more this week and can already notice the difference - mainly being too goosed to do owt this morning

Back