2020 cycling thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 23273
  • Start date
Maybe not woods as such but still enough places you can ride about off road away from any street lights. The other night I did the Northern Boundary Route, Hylton Dene and Fulwell Quarry.

I’ve cut through the quarry a few times but I’ve never been in Hylton Dene. Tend to stay along the river or South along the lines.

I fully expect the restriction on duration of exercise to be tightened next week.
currently doing longer bike rides at weekends ( on own or with wife) but will obviously stick to whatever new rules come in.

Turbo will then get used
Just gan out at night in the woods.

Got a road bike second hand a few months back - took it out the shed today to oil the chain, pump the tires etc.

Took it out for a quick spin round the block and think it might be too big! I’m 6ft2 with a 32 inside leg and my bike frame is 61cm.

I’m sure it will be fine for the few miles I will do as a beginner though - just need to pluck up the bottle to get out on the road on my own for the first time :lol:

Got a road bike second hand a few months back - took it out the shed today to oil the chain, pump the tires etc.

Took it out for a quick spin round the block and think it might be too big! I’m 6ft2 with a 32 inside leg and my bike frame is 61cm.

I’m sure it will be fine for the few miles I will do as a beginner though - just need to pluck up the bottle to get out on the road on my own for the first time :lol:

doesn’t sound that wide of the mark to be honest for your height

Got my new wheels delivered last week and got them all fitted up with tyres, tubes and a new cassette and put new break cartridges on. Haven’t had a chance to get out to try them out yet due to work but hoping to ride to work tomorrow.

Was running the gears up and down and noticed that the rear derailleur doesn’t put the chain onto the biggest gear even though the shifter won’t move any further. Not sure if this happened on the old wheels though to be honest. The new cassette is the same brand, model, size and tooth range as the old one. All of the indexing is fine. It’s as if I have put a 1 speed bigger cassette on.

Got my new wheels delivered last week and got them all fitted up with tyres, tubes and a new cassette and put new break cartridges on. Haven’t had a chance to get out to try them out yet due to work but hoping to ride to work tomorrow.

Was running the gears up and down and noticed that the rear derailleur doesn’t put the chain onto the biggest gear even though the shifter won’t move any further. Not sure if this happened on the old wheels though to be honest. The new cassette is the same brand, model, size and tooth range as the old one. All of the indexing is fine. It’s as if I have put a 1 speed bigger cassette on.

Looks like the cassette is positioned slightly outboard of the old one. This is common due to manufacturing differences in the hub. If the tension of the gear cable is right, then it’s down to the end stop (hi/low) screws on the derailleur need adjustment. Easy job to do and look for a tutorial on YouTube so you get it right first time.

not a spacer needed ?
you can buy wheels that take a 10 or 11 speed for example but a spacer might be needed on a 10 speed cassette

Looks like the cassette is slightly outboard of the old one. If the tension of the gear cable is right, then it’s down to the end stop (hi/low) screws on the derailleur need adjustment. Easy job to do and look for a tutorial on YouTube so you get it right first time.

That’s what I thought it was but the changes at the bottom end are fine whereas if the cassette was off centre of the old one you would think the other end would be out too.
not a spacer needed ?
you can buy wheels that take a 10 or 11 speed for example but a spacer might be needed on a 10 speed cassette

It’s an 11 speed so don’t need a spacer

That’s what I thought it was but the changes at the bottom end are fine whereas if the cassette was off centre of the old one you would think the other end would be out too.

It’s an 11 speed so don’t need a spacer

As it’s a new cassette too, it’s possible it’s half a mil or so wider. I’d give the hi/low screw a try first. The top stop is to prevent the chain going over into the gap between the cassette and spokes. This will prevent movement into the big ring if that line is further over than the last set up.

Back