2019 the good the bad the sad and the ugly

Good year here, much better than 2018 which was shite for about the first 9 months.

Started the year with a once in a lifetime trip to India with work. I would have liked more time to actually do non-work stuff but actually it some of the work related stuff that was the stuff that was “once in a lifetime” (visiting rural villages to see the research project in action etc)

In May I was offered a promotion at work, and also a job back in the industry I’d left to join that place. I had to make a choice of staying somewhere I hated but was highly thought of for a big payrise, or starting again somewhere I knew I’d be happier for a more modest payrise but flexitime etc. I decided to leave for less stress and more family-friendly conditions.

In July I had 2 whole weeks in a row off work for the first time in 6 years (excluding paternity leave). Had a great trip to Disney Paris, and saw Kiss and Ben Folds in concert.

Started the new job in September and am now enjoying 2 whole weeks off over Christmas and new year.

Overall a thumbs up. My dad was in intensive care for a couple of weeks but it's the 3rd time in 4 years it's happened, the bloody drama queen.

Jnr has done me proud, the mrs is doing very well too.

Only real down side was getting tangled up as a witness to a serious crime, which became very complicated and quite worrying. It's going to drag on into the first few months of next year too but we know where we are now and have made our feelings clear on where we stand.

Started working part time. Started doing some consultancy on the side. Finished a masters. Began to make serious inroads into getting a second completely different career and began to have some tiny green shoots of success. Finished the ground floor of our doer-upper. Went 90% vegetarian, 90% organic. Discovered that supermarkets sell orchids for a fiver and have a new obsession.

Everyone in good health (should have started with that).

Politics generally shite but our seat kicked out its Tory.

Been an odd one for me.
Went back to working full time after four years working for myself as a writer.
Was a granted a Creative Development Fellowship by Sunderland Culture which funded a week long residential course with Mike Gayle and Freya North to work on my latest novel.
Saw my seventh and eighth defeats at Wembley. The weekend of the Portsmouth game highlighted some issues with my heart. Eight months later I had two stents fitted after they discovered one artery was 90% blocked and another 70%.
Co-wrote a song, saw it performed live and it was produced by a Mercury Prize nominee.
Put on two stone from not being able to run or go to the gym.
Had some of my best reviews ever for my books (including multiple people emailing me to say I'd made them laugh and cry).
Had my name painted on the wall of the Civic Centre.
Seen loads of theatre I would never have seen if someone else wasn't paying and choosing what I saw. A true eye opener and showed the value of moving out of my comfort zone. The highlight was a feminist musical about post natal depression following the birth of a disabled son. :eek: REVIEW: Bryony Kimmings I'm A Phoenix Bitch, Edinburgh Fringe ✭✭✭✭✭
Probably lots of other stuff that I've forgotten as I've sort of been in a holding pattern until I got my heart sorted. Now trying to get back to fitness after nine months of no exercise, being on about ten different types of drugs and having had someone poking about inside my heart.

Good year work wise but personally pretty rubbish. Split with longtime partner and had to move out of where we lived for 10 years then lost my dog in August. So I’ll be glad to see the back of 2019, roll on 2020.

Good - After 11 long years, of suffering from a debilitating illness, I'm finally healthy again, and mostly enjoying life, seeing friends again, going to the match again, and being able to do things, many people, take for granted.
@foggy's continuing improvement, and recovery from cancer. 👍 👍

Bad - I still haven't had Helen Skelton, Abbie Dewhurst, or Martine McCutcheon, bombarding me with proposals and pledges of love, marriage and lust. ☹

Sad - Losing long time friends, work colleagues, and family. :cry: :cry:

Good year here, much better than 2018 which was shite for about the first 9 months.

Started the year with a once in a lifetime trip to India with work. I would have liked more time to actually do non-work stuff but actually it some of the work related stuff that was the stuff that was “once in a lifetime” (visiting rural villages to see the research project in action etc)

In May I was offered a promotion at work, and also a job back in the industry I’d left to join that place. I had to make a choice of staying somewhere I hated but was highly thought of for a big payrise, or starting again somewhere I knew I’d be happier for a more modest payrise but flexitime etc. I decided to leave for less stress and more family-friendly conditions.

In July I had 2 whole weeks in a row off work for the first time in 6 years (excluding paternity leave). Had a great trip to Disney Paris, and saw Kiss and Ben Folds in concert.

Started the new job in September and am now enjoying 2 whole weeks off over Christmas and new year.
Forgot to say I’ve also lost a stone and a half of the 2 stone I put on stress eating in my previous job. Joined the gym and really enthusiastic about it (it helps that it’s literally across the road from my house) - doing 4 days a week one week and 5 days the next (my daughter to has a gym class on a Friday evening but they don’t do one for my son so only one of us can take her use the gym while she’s in her class). I’ve even been every day apart from Christmas Day while I’ve been off work.

GOOD
Some class days out especially in Edinburgh and London.
Went to Italy for the first time.
Finances are looking somewhat decent.
Me and the lass are still going strong.
Lost a bit of weight...or at least it looks like it.

BAD
Grandad dying, which hit me harder than I thought it would.
Me and the lass still haven't moved in together.
The lasses employment situation which does look to be getting a bit better now.
Still in League One and the reign Phil Parkinson.
My job situation. Like my job and the people I work with but the money isn't what it was and I think i'm getting to the point where I need a change which i'd feel bad about doing because they're very short on staff.

Cant really remember it - I've enjoyed learning about the aliens and getting pissed all the time, did quite a bit bucking too. Quite enjoyed looking at all the conspiracy theory stuff. Did some amazing gigs but I'm considering packing it all in for good as I'm quite sick of it.

Had a shit year tbf. My sons health and flooded out of our home

Hope you get your home sorted - think being flooded must be one of the worst things that can happen to anyone. Hope your son's health
Improves; good luck with 2020 - hope it's a dry one.

Hope you get your home sorted - think being flooded must be one of the worst things that can happen to anyone. Hope your son's health
Improves; good luck with 2020 - hope it's a dry one.
We got back in a couple of weeks ago cheers

Back