2019 the good the bad the sad and the ugly

Good: the cat is still alive, work going well, mental health strong, visited a new country to me (Ghana), some great music/films/TV (particularly TV tbh)
Bad: had a minor health scare, dad's had a bad year health wise (but is for now through the worst), cat's had a bad year health wise, SAFC
Sad: SAFC mostly, the government we have (probably deserved but the opposition twatted on when they need to go direct).
Ugly: just the trivial stuff that seems to make major news (Rebecca Vardy's Instagram bag of arse etc.) and bananas.

Better year for me than the last few. Changed job and went part time, far less money but for the first time since being made redundant from a job I loved, I don't hate going to work.
Good: the cat is still alive, work going well, mental health strong, visited a new country to me (Ghana), some great music/films/TV (particularly TV tbh)
Bad: had a minor health scare, dad's had a bad year health wise (but is for now through the worst), cat's had a bad year health wise, SAFC
Sad: SAFC mostly, the government we have (probably deserved but the opposition twatted on when they need to go direct).
Ugly: just the trivial stuff that seems to make major news (Rebecca Vardy's Instagram bag of arse etc.) and bananas.
Good to hear the cat is still going strong.

Last edited:
Good to hear the cat is still going strong.

I'm not sure about strong but she's still going. She had an epileptic fit about 5 weeks back (horrible thing to see, I thought she was gone) and the vet gave me the you've been brilliant but "realistically..." talk. She's now on three types of meds (the kidney one has been going for ages but liver and epilepsy are new to her) and she's wobbly on her feet at times but ace (and also permanently attached to my knee). Also, the vet is amazed (in fairness, he's amazed she's survived given the size of her kidneys).

I'm not sure about strong but she's still going. She had an epileptic fit about 5 weeks back (horrible thing to see, I thought she was gone) and the vet gave me the you've been brilliant but "realistically..." talk. She's now on three types of meds (the kidney one has been going for ages but liver and epilepsy are new to her) and she's wobbly on her feet at times but ace (and also permanently attached to my knee). Also, the vet is amazed (in fairness, he's amazed she's survived given the size of her kidneys).
Oh bless her. Well fingers crossed she continues for however long. You'll know yourself when she's had enough, but for now, continue to spoil her.

Good - still got a decent job and I'm still alive with supportive family and friends. Cricket World Cup.
Bad - physical health has been awful leading to terrible mental health.
Ugly - A month in Sunderland Royal with 3 x fractured spine and two weeks being unable to put anything in my stomach without it coming back up within minutes. SAFC.

1.Changed job
2.Wife(no) changed job twice
3.Mother diagnosed with Parkinsons
4.Dad had stent fitted
5.Cousin who couldn’t have kids now expecting twins
6. Still haven’t scored with Dua Lipa

Bit of a mixed bag I’d say

Good: things continue to go well with the new lady in my life. She is lovely. Just wish we’d got together 15 years ago when we had the chance.

Bad: my colleague, with whom I work in Hannover once per month, and his wife had a new baby.He was born gravely ill and the doctors recommended that the life support was switched off and organs donated to desperate recipients. They agreed and prepared themselves only when the machine was turned off the brave little fighter kept breathing.... for a few weeks!! They never left his side at the hospice and my colleague stood up at the funeral and read out a detailed eulogy. It was the bravest thing I have ever seen. For somebody who stutters on in meetings, repeating the first word of the sentence (stutter or stammer?) he read it absolutely perfectly and beautifully. Unfortunately “the system” such that it is failed to get the organ transplants sorted in time so they went to waste. This lad is determined to have his baby’s memory and short existence mean something worthwhile so hen is taking steps to help improve “the system” in some small but crucially important way. A very worthwhile thing to do with his time.

Ugly: the continued demise and free fall of Sunderland AFC. We’re continuing to break records each month.... our lowest ever position in the football league.

Last edited:

Back