**** 2019 Golf Thread ****

Been getting myself recently back into golf, when I was young I was a handicap of around 7-10 at aged 15 and loved it but didn't go much further. Would confidently say iv played two courses in about 10 years at most. Unsure what happened but 35 now and been getting back to the range, and done couple 9 hole courses (Cocken Lodge) and played one in June at Halifax way with a mate, remembered how frustrating it can be but if i'm honest i'm getting obsessed with it again, thinking about shots more and my swing so potentially getting myself ready for next year more. Mate reckons to simply get onto courses make plenty of mistakes etc

Just wondered if anyone had a long time away from it for whatever reason and started getting back into it? Any advice from anyone?

It’s a bit after time but the slow play in the Solheim Cup was absolutely ridiculous. Golf needs to sort it’s lineage out

Been getting myself recently back into golf, when I was young I was a handicap of around 7-10 at aged 15 and loved it but didn't go much further. Would confidently say iv played two courses in about 10 years at most. Unsure what happened but 35 now and been getting back to the range, and done couple 9 hole courses (Cocken Lodge) and played one in June at Halifax way with a mate, remembered how frustrating it can be but if i'm honest i'm getting obsessed with it again, thinking about shots more and my swing so potentially getting myself ready for next year more. Mate reckons to simply get onto courses make plenty of mistakes etc

Just wondered if anyone had a long time away from it for whatever reason and started getting back into it? Any advice from anyone?
I missed about ten years with moving around the UK and concentrating on drinking and shagging rather than golf. I started playing regularly again at about the same age as you when I joined a golf club having settled in Lancashire and soon got back into it.

Join a club get a handicap and start cleaning up that comp prize money

I’m in the same boat, grew up playing at Houghton and got to be fairly handy but then basically had a 10yr break, then another 10 years with an on/off relationship with it...last year or two I’ve wanted to get back into it. I’ve played half a dozen times over the last 12 months but played twice in the last fortnight...last round was about 15 over...I know it’s still in there but it’s going to take some teasing out and a lot of practice...guess that’s my advice - just play mate.

I’m playing Boldon tomorrow, and assuming nothing drastic has happened to the course over the last year or so, i’ll be joining as a member after my round...I know there are other courses, different membership fees etc but I live 5mins walk from the course and to me it makes sense.

What's the lowest you think you could get your handicap down to without taking lessons and putting some decent work on the range? On average I go round sharply in 92 or so without really putting any work in on the range. Been round Throsten in 86 but that's a easy course with not much danger on it. I'm not really itching to get the scores down mind, just curious to hear peoples thoughts

I’m in the same boat, grew up playing at Houghton and got to be fairly handy but then basically had a 10yr break, then another 10 years with an on/off relationship with it...last year or two I’ve wanted to get back into it. I’ve played half a dozen times over the last 12 months but played twice in the last fortnight...last round was about 15 over...I know it’s still in there but it’s going to take some teasing out and a lot of practice...guess that’s my advice - just play mate.

I’m playing Boldon tomorrow, and assuming nothing drastic has happened to the course over the last year or so, i’ll be joining as a member after my round...I know there are other courses, different membership fees etc but I live 5mins walk from the course and to me it makes sense.
Makes perfect sense, never played Bolton. When I was a member and played loads when a kid I was at wearside. Loved it, however politics and that when I look back spoilt it etc probably same at most courses mind, I used to beat men much more experienced/older and they didn't like it :lol: was a good time when I look back :lol:

I'd go back to that course but may see what's around as live Tunstall way at sharply not far and recommended

What's the lowest you think you could get your handicap down to without taking lessons and putting some decent work on the range? On average I go round sharply in 92 or so without really putting any work in on the range. Been round Throsten in 86 but that's a easy course with not much danger on it. I'm not really itching to get the scores down mind, just curious to hear peoples thoughts

Any fit golfer can get to an 18 handicap easily imo

I reckon the average 18+ Handicap golfer gives up to 5 shots up through stupid decisions and lack of concentration

Bogey is a good score

I reckon the average 18+ Handicap golfer gives up to 5 shots up through stupid decisions and lack of concentration

Bogey is a good score

What you mean by fit golfer?

I couldn't do that

I can play well, went round Dunstanburgh in 88 last week but I am so hit and miss

You need lessons

Sometime I can conssitnely drive 170+ straight

other games I just can barely get if off the tee

What you mean by fit golfer?

I couldn't do that

I can play well, went round Dunstanburgh in 88 last week but I am so hit and miss

You need lessons

Sometime I can conssitnely drive 170+ straight

other games I just can barely get if off the tee

Anyone who can reasonably swing a club ... 170 yard drives would do it

You’ve just said you can you have shot 88 (and I bet you still left a few shots out there through silly decisions)

A handicap isn’t something you should shoot all the time mind it’s a reflection on what your best score can be

I’m off 14 mate and I still can card 95-100s if my big fuck off block into the river wear rears it’s head

Last edited:

Bogey is a good score

Add another 4 or 5 shots and that’s me.
I can go from birdie to carding an 8 or 9 on the next hole, then back to a par !
Infuriating game sometimes.

i got down to 7 without any lessons or practice just rocking up on a morning and teeing off
personally think i could get lower with practice but just dont have the time
best score upto now is 71 gross around seaham

i got down to 7 without any lessons or practice just rocking up on a morning and teeing off
personally think i could get lower with practice but just dont have the time
best score upto now is 71 gross around seaham
whats seaham like as a course? thinking there or houghton le spring this week thats all

Back