**** 2019 Golf Thread ****

Loving my golf at the minute, slowly went to shit, but a few lessons and I've turned it around, lowest score the other day with a +1 over par (73), would of parred the round but for a crap duff chip. Some nice very scores, even with some silly doubles on the card.

My US handicap went up to 12.4 from 8.7, now back down to 9 and it should be lower tomorrow after our bi monthly handicap adjustment.

All this practice and playing is starting to pay off, retirement is good. My teacher has told me that maybe my clubs are holding me back a bit, a nice problem to have I guess ;)

Loving my golf at the minute, slowly went to shit, but a few lessons and I've turned it around, lowest score the other day with a +1 over par (73), would of parred the round but for a crap duff chip. Some nice very scores, even with some silly doubles on the card.

My US handicap went up to 12.4 from 8.7, now back down to 9 and it should be lower tomorrow after our bi monthly handicap adjustment.

All this practice and playing is starting to pay off, retirement is good. My teacher has told me that maybe my clubs are holding me back a bit, a nice problem to have I guess ;)
Bi monthly??? That's nuts. Changes after every round here. Maybe it will change from next year for us

Bi monthly??? That's nuts. Changes after every round here. Maybe it will change from next year for us

It is to be honest, though its a different system and every round you play counts towards your handicap competition or not (or should unless you are sandbagging). My state NC is open for play all year round, the other other state I lived in (NY) had a closed season from November to April, any scores made between Nov/Apr did count towards your handicap.

USGA Handicapping:

Q. How often are USGA Handicap Indexes revised?
A. USGA Handicap Indexes are revised no less often than once a month and no more often than once every two weeks during the playing season as determined by the authorized golf association..

I wish world golf would go with one system to make it a lot easier, it would save me having a UK & US handicap.

It is to be honest, though its a different system and every round you play counts towards your handicap competition or not (or should unless you are sandbagging). My state NC is open for play all year round, the other other state I lived in (NY) had a closed season from November to April, any scores made between Nov/Apr did count towards your handicap.

USGA Handicapping:

Q. How often are USGA Handicap Indexes revised?
A. USGA Handicap Indexes are revised no less often than once a month and no more often than once every two weeks during the playing season as determined by the authorized golf association..

I wish world golf would go with one system to make it a lot easier, it would save me having a UK & US handicap.
We are moving across to the world handicap system next year, it will be a nightmare when it's first set away.

I played Catterick last week, greens were mental, fast and on slopes. Ive never seen so many people twist about fast greens. There was one green in particular which was stupid. Lad I played with off 1, putted up to an inch and it rolled back 15 foot, he did it again straight after. Same group a lad missed from 2 inches and it went off the green.
There was cat 1 players 6 putting it was mental.

Started playing golf regularly in March and been really enjoying it so I’m thinking a few lessons would be a good way to go to set me on the right track. Anyone got any recommendations for coaches in the area?

Last edited:
We are moving across to the world handicap system next year, it will be a nightmare when it's first set away.
Didn't know that, glad its happening. Interested to see how the slope/course rating (like we have here in the US) transfers to the regular course I play while back in Blighty.

For whatever reason Hexham slaps me silly and I never play we there and it doesn't seem any harder that courses I play here.

Starting to get back into it at moment, looking at getting my irons re gripped as due, just to prolong my clubs further and if I get really back into it will invest in some new irons. Tempted to get some still :lol:

Had a dodge up to the Scottish open on Sunday, a couple of hours up the road and well worth a visit.

Big social scene up there as part of the day for all you raging alcoholic types , as anyone who has visited The Open will confirm.

I played at Royal Porthcawl on Sunday and the welcome which I received was the best I have experienced anywhere. To the extent that when asking which tees I could play from the reply was "you're our guest, you can play from any tees you wish". Which is a massive change from "all visitors must play from the yellow tees" which you get at 90% of courses.
The course was decent but not spectacular and I would have felt short changed if I'd paid the full visitors green fee of £150 plus.

I'm wanting to buy a Ping G400 driver regular flex 10.5 degree. Wanting to get a decent second hand one. If anyone regularly updated their driver and wants to sell let me know.

Back