**** 2019 Golf Thread ****

Very tough track. I played it for the first time last weekend. Won 3 nearest to the pins and still only managed 26 points. Nearly impossible to hold the greens as well with them running away front to back.

You must have been part of the visiting party on the Saturday? I can have a run of pars and then from nowhere ill hoy a nice double or triple in. I played in the midweek medal and went double (don't ask) par, double, double. By the time i get round to the 13th I'm still one below my handicap of 12 so I'm not doing too badly then whoosh OOB and I card a bastard 8 on a par 4. I finished with an 87 so 17 over and 5 over my HC. It's a lot tighter than I'm used to and the greens have much more break than I'm used to. I'm 2 bad rounds away from going to 12.5 :evil:

Very tough track. I played it for the first time last weekend. Won 3 nearest to the pins and still only managed 26 points. Nearly impossible to hold the greens as well with them running away front to back.

I played in the team open there on the last bank holiday Monday

the Par 3s were brutal like the first one despite being about 120 yards and downhill seen 12 people have a go and not one came anyway close to the green :lol:

I played in the team open there on the last bank holiday Monday

the Par 3s were brutal like the first one despite being about 120 yards and downhill seen 12 people have a go and not one came anyway close to the green :lol:

And that's the easiest one. :lol:

the 2 back to back is it 9 and 10? blobbed both :lol:

Yeah, anything right on 9 and you're basically trying to play a flop shot onto a narrow green, anything left and the big tree comes in to play. 10 has trouble on the left but if you hit it right then your playing from the rough onto a green which runs away from you iirc. The safe shots are short and straight on both holes. I've only managed to par both in one round once so far in maybe 15 rounds. :lol: The lads i play with tell me the greens become even quicker come July/August etc.

I escaped with a pair of 4's on Wednesday and felt like I'd done ok.

I suppose if anything it might make me a better player.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, anything right on 9 and you're basically trying to play a flop shot onto a narrow green, anything left and the big tree comes in to play. 10 has trouble on the left but if you hit it right then your playing from the rough onto a green which runs away from you iirc. The safe shots are short and straight on both holes. I've only managed to par both in one round once so far in maybe 15 rounds. :lol: The lads i play with tell me the greens become even quicker come July/August etc.

Greens were class like it had pissed down all night and they were still fast and firm

That 9th is a proper par 3.
Really picturesque and has trouble everywhere.
Last time I played it I had to hit a 5 wood into it. Great hole.

Anyone watching the Memorial at the moment? Martin Kaymer and Jordan Spieth playing some absolutely incredible golf. Hopefully Spieth can pick up one more birdie on the final 2 holes to make it into the final group for tomorrow alongside Kaymer again.

Sorry for the delay, only just seen this.
We played
Rio Real
Santa Maria
Los Naranjos
Real club de golf Guadalmina

A cracking few days with a wee damper put on it for me when I got a call on the Wednesday evening to say me mother had died.

Played the first 3 and they are all superb courses.
Sorry to hear that news about your mam mate.

Played the first 3 and they are all superb courses.
Sorry to hear that news about your mam mate.
One of our group is a playing professional. Took a week off from earning a living to join us.

At the first at Santa Maria we are all routing in the bag for an old ball as lacking confidence in clearing the pond and the ravine. He drove it through the green. Different course for those fellas.

Golf en Marbella, Costa del Sol | SANTA MARÍA GOLF CLUB

Those distances are in metres so add 10% for yards.
About 330 yds to clear first green from the yellows.

Guadalmina was a beast.

Thanks for the thoughts on me mam. It was a shock but not a surprise as she had been fighting cancer for a while.

Sorry for the delay, only just seen this.
We played
Rio Real
Santa Maria
Los Naranjos
Real club de golf Guadalmina

A cracking few days with a wee damper put on it for me when I got a call on the Wednesday evening to say me mother had died.

Los Naranjos brings back a rather bad memory of too much to drink the night before.

Walked off the 8th hole with 2 points in total , jumped in the buggy to hoy up in the bogs at halfway without playing the 9th.walked onto the tenth tee a new man .

Portugal the week after next for the 14th annual golf trip.

Laranjal
Palmares
Monte Rei
QDL south.

Day off in the middle , which some of us will hire bikes and do a decent ride before heading for a late lunch on the beach , the day after the messiest of messy nights.

Cracking trip , cracking set of lads.

37 points won
30 points won
30 points came 2nd.
27 points came 5th.

Won by 2 points overall

€240 , kerching.

Shot 84 round Throsten this morning for my best ever score. New after I hit 42 on the front nine of i held it together for the easier back nine I could be on for a good one. Conditions were perfect mind, practically zero wind on a dry course. Still had couple of daft 3 putts from 25ft to. @Voice of fair play had a cracking round of 89 anarl. Teed off at 7.15 and finished by 10.30 with not having to wait for a single shot all round. The way golf should be played :cool:

Back