**** 2019 Golf Thread ****

A longer post than I would like, but trust good advice here:

Took up golf 2 years ago in my late 40's
Started to feel it coming....suspect this is like reaching for the holy grail
Then last November started getting pain in my right elbow (yeah golfers elbow), sat out as the weather was shit anyway
Played a game in January with family and regretted it
Got the straps etc
It got worse even trying to rest it so pushed the doc and got a steroid injection about a month ago
Carried on resting and started to feel the odd wince so have moved onto stretching exercises
That has seemed to help, though feel the odd wince still

My question one, has anyone else gone through this and when can I expect to get swinging again?
I also suspect I grip too hard when digging for moles.
So any tips to help with a softer grip?

Killing me cos the weather this week is screaming to me to get out on the course!

I have had a few elbow issues from the gym and golf, and it seemed to be linked to the tightness of the muscles in my arms and forearms pulling at the tendons in the elbow. So I started foam-rolling with one of those small black-roll foam rollers. A cheaper alternative would just be a water bottle, rolling pin, maybe a tennis ball. Roll out the triceps, and the side of your upper arm and it compliments the stretching.

Logon or register to see this image

And ice it after a round.

Off to villamoura for 4 nights in a few weeks and still haven't had a round this year, not even been to the range either. ffs

Fucked
Don't despair mate, if you're anything like me, you'll come back stronger after losing all your bad habits over the winter. I've only played Villaitana this year and did ok, can't be arsed going out in the quagmires over here yet. Hopefully another week like this should dry everywhere up a bit. Wish I was off to play in the sun again, you cannot whack it.

Don't despair mate, if you're anything like me, you'll come back stronger after losing all your bad habits over the winter. I've only played Villaitana this year and did ok, can't be arsed going out in the quagmires over here yet. Hopefully another week like this should dry everywhere up a bit. Wish I was off to play in the sun again, you cannot whack it.
Immeadialty feel 100% more confident. Are you a motivational speaker by any chance ;)

I have had a few elbow issues from the gym and golf, and it seemed to be linked to the tightness of the muscles in my arms and forearms pulling at the tendons in the elbow. So I started foam-rolling with one of those small black-roll foam rollers. A cheaper alternative would just be a water bottle, rolling pin, maybe a tennis ball. Roll out the triceps, and the side of your upper arm and it compliments the stretching.

And ice it after a round.

Cheers, I forgot all about my ice bag after my steroid injection!

Been nice playing in the sun and warmth again. Played in shorts yesterday and played canny bar two holes. Irons were good as was my driving. Had a chip in birdie as well still early in the season but some positive signs.

How many shots did they take off you?

I've played 6 times this week. My putting has turned to absolute shit. I've just booked a putting lesson at Ross Jackson Golf for tomorrow night. I 3 jabbed the last two holes from nowhere today as my arms turned to jelly.

Has anyone used the SAM putting lab before?

Are you off +5 like??? Its all in the heed man putting or ye have too much time and money to waste.

Are you off +5 like??? Its all in the heed man putting or ye have too much time and money to waste.
The last putting lesson I had was 4 years ago and it got me down from 10 to 7 in two months.
I've been driving well and hitting my irons well but I'm struggling to make birdies. I've gone back to 5.5 and I know it's my putting that's holding me back. My aim this year is to get to 4

I mean, you can be as cool as ice, but if you can't start a putt on line, judge break or judge pace then you will be shit at putting.

I've played 6 times this week. My putting has turned to absolute shit. I've just booked a putting lesson at Ross Jackson Golf for tomorrow night. I 3 jabbed the last two holes from nowhere today as my arms turned to jelly.

Yea, I used it last year at the start of the year and rather enjoyed the experience. I learnt some pretty important things, e.g. I had an extremely consistent strike pattern, however for some reason it wasn't in the middle of the putter. I consistently hit it in the exact same spot slightly towards the heel.

So he gave me a drill to fix it - the usual Tiger Woods one using two tees as a "gate" for the putter to pass through:

Last edited:
Played in my first comp of the year, +7 gross after 9 including a triple bogey on the 4th.

Back 9 +2 gross with a double bogey on the 16th, played to my handicap of 9, fuckin golf man :evil:

I mean, you can be as cool as ice, but if you can't start a putt on line, judge break or judge pace then you will be shit at putting.

Yea, I used it last year at the start of the year and rather enjoyed the experience. I learnt some pretty important things, e.g. I had an extremely consistent strike pattern, however for some reason it wasn't in the middle of the putter. I consistently hit it in the exact same spot slightly towards the heel.

So he gave me a drill to fix it - the usual Tiger Woods one using two tees as a "gate" for the putter to pass through:

I can read puts absolutely fine but for some reason I've turned into Billy f***ing Mayfair but without the end result.

I have Rob its really good. My results showed I had a really consistent stroke but my tempo was terrible I was quitting on my putts. I bought a Visio arc after my lesson and practice on that in the house.

I have Rob its really good. My results showed I had a really consistent stroke but my tempo was terrible I was quitting on my putts. I bought a Visio arc after my lesson and practice on that in the house.
I found it hard work due to my back issues I'm basically facing well left of the target also my putter grip that I had put on a couple of years ago had the face closed. So now I'm set up feeling that I'm aiming a foot to the right but it's bang on line. It feels absolutely awful. I was there for around 1.5 hours in total.

I found it hard work due to my back issues I'm basically facing well left of the target also my putter grip that I had put on a couple of years ago had the face closed. So now I'm set up feeling that I'm aiming a foot to the right but it's bang on line. It feels absolutely awful. I was there for around 1.5 hours in total.

Just remembered my alignment was slightly off when setting up. I bought a cheap lazer off ebay that puts a line on the floor and set up putting down that. That might help you based on what youre saying as should reinforce aim. You can lend it if you want it's got a cross beam as well so you can see if your face is square to target.

I might have a look down it looks a good set up from what I've seen on line

Just remembered my alignment was slightly off when setting up. I bought a cheap lazer off ebay that puts a line on the floor and set up putting down that. That might help you based on what youre saying as should reinforce aim. You can lend it if you want it's got a cross beam as well so you can see if your face is square to target.

I might have a look down it looks a good set up from what I've seen on line
Gary Spalding works there now.

Back