2019 Cycling thread

Calf strain running/swim a week ago , dunno whether to get the bike out or if that will still hit the calf ?

Been cut short cos of flooded roads , Shame for such a big event

Aye missing Buttertubs or Grinton. Looks like the whole of the Dales is underwater, so makes sense but it's shite like.

Gilbert looks fucked after that crash. Broken ribs?
Van Der Poel fucked it, gassed at the start of the last circuit.

Trentin must be a shoe in for this now.

Last edited:
Cant relly see the value in £120 road shoes, carbon or otherwise.

having many years ago wore cheaper ones the difference is massive when even wearing mid level shoes ( which is where they’re positioned) or the top end shoes.
Given it’s one of the main contact points one a bike, this isnt a lot to pay

Given it’s one of the main contact points one a bike, this isnt a lot to pay

It depends on the individuals reason for cycling.
Personally I cycle for the gentle cardio exercise, fresh air and and the countryide views. No benefit in me having Carbon shoes for that. Trainers do me just fine.

Last edited:
It depends on the individuals reason for cycling.
Personally I cycle for the gentle cardio exercise, fresh air and and the countryide views. No benefit in me having Carbon shoes for that. Trainers do me just fine.

and that’s all well and good. The majority of bike riders on this thread however will be slightly more serious than you about cycling and may well be in the market for some shoes at ( believe me on this one) a good price.

I’ve not been getting many miles in this year, since my big op. No particular reason - just been spending time doing other stuff. So when I when I do get out I feel slow. I can’t judge how much of this is down to being out of condition, how much is just getting old and how much might be a result of having had my chest jacked open. So yesterday after I’d done about 45 miles that Sarah Storey came past me with a cheery hello. She looked like she was just cruising easily without putting much effort in. I couldn’t get on to her wheel. I spent the next couple of miles burying mesel trying to close the gap. She was in the distance now looking like she was just ambling along. I f***ing gave up. I’m just getting old.

Last edited:
I’ve not been getting many miles in this year, since my big op. No particular reason - just been spending time doing other stuff. So when I when I do get out I feel slow. I can’t judge how much of this is down to being out of condition, how much is just getting old and how much might be a result of having had my chest jacked open. So yesterday after I’d done about 45 miles that Sarah Storey came past me with a cheery hello. She looked like she was just cruising easily without putting much effort in. I couldn’t get on to her wheel. I spent the next couple of miles burying mesel trying to close the gap. She was in the distance now looking like she was just ambling along. I f***ing gave up. I’m just getting old.

I've done nowt for almost a month. Changed jobs a while back so no commute on the bike and travelling a bit more with the new job.
Joined a local gym and getting back into the rowing machine and a few classes when I get the chance. Bikes might just stay in the garage till March/April.

Fitness will comeback quicker than you think when you get back into the routine. I am a fair weather cyclist so have given the road bike its last clean for the year and tucked it away and no doubt will be a lot slower when I begin next year, compared with my final ride of the summer just gone.

We dont get slower because we get old. We get old because we go slower. Or some shite like that.

I've done nowt for almost a month. Changed jobs a while back so no commute on the bike and travelling a bit more with the new job.
Joined a local gym and getting back into the rowing machine and a few classes when I get the chance. Bikes might just stay in the garage till March/April.

used to do the same...but makes a huge difference getting winter miles in.

shame that you’re missing your commute...and as we know shit weather doesn’t bother you ( shorts on C2C :lol: )

Steady winter here but about 90% of it on the turbo trainer with zwift. So important to just have some base miles and keep ticking on over the winter. You’ll feel the benefit in Spring.

Steady winter here but about 90% of it on the turbo trainer with zwift. So important to just have some base miles and keep ticking on over the winter. You’ll feel the benefit in Spring.

winter miles summer smiles...or some such bollox

Great ditching the winter bike in March/April, the weather improves and jumping onto “best bike” and you feel like you’re flying.
The winter slog makes it worthwhile

Does anyone expect anything to come out of the Richard Freeman hearing?

As I understand it he has admitted to something like 18 out of 22 allegations of misconduct. So far we have learned that:
  • Freeman admits he ordered the gear but only because Shane Sutton bullied him into getting it to use for his erectile disfunction & it was never intended for use on athletes.
  • Shane Sutton says Freeman is a lying bastard and you could hang a towel on it, mate.
  • Steve Peters says he knows nowt.
  • Everyone agrees that Shane Sutton can be a right bastard at times (like this is news!)
Today I think one side was trying to get an endocrinologist to testify as to whether Shane Sutton would be able to get it up without help or not, but I'm not sure whether this has happened.
The hearing is due to conclude on 20th Dec, so who knows what they are going to talk about for the next three weeks. Surely they can't fill all that time with speculation about the roadworthiness of Shane Sutton's manhood.

Does anyone expect anything to come out of the Richard Freeman hearing?

As I understand it he has admitted to something like 18 out of 22 allegations of misconduct. So far we have learned that:
  • Freeman admits he ordered the gear but only because Shane Sutton bullied him into getting it to use for his erectile disfunction & it was never intended for use on athletes.
  • Shane Sutton says Freeman is a lying bastard and you could hang a towel on it, mate.
  • Steve Peters says he knows nowt.
  • Everyone agrees that Shane Sutton can be a right bastard at times (like this is news!)
Today I think one side was trying to get an endocrinologist to testify as to whether Shane Sutton would be able to get it up without help or not, but I'm not sure whether this has happened.
The hearing is due to conclude on 20th Dec, so who knows what they are going to talk about for the next three weeks. Surely they can't fill all that time with speculation about the roadworthiness of Shane Sutton's manhood.

it’s a complete mess....both Sutton and Freeman come across as very very dodgy, while Peters seems ineffectual.

Do think the DM has some affidavits held in a safe as insurance against court action by the likes of Wiggins, as seemed likely at one point. Then again Freeman’s legal team could well be just chucking more shit to muddy the waters

Back