2019 Cycling thread

Where did you go dan? All new to me so never know where go . Need to do a basic bike maintenance course as know nowt if have problems when out on it

No mate , lad called Chris , did have a chat with rocker while there
Get yourself on strava.

Yes , did 2hr16 which is longest I’ve done yet :D:D , bang on 40mile , it’s all new to me but the wind was a twat at times , car nearly wiped me out up near Morrisons doxy Park , he even pulled up to apologise

Where’s that mate
Good on him to apologise but no good if he hit ya. I nearly got wiped out yesterday.

I think it's Lanchester.

Missed chance to edit ... I know that’s not fast but it is what it is , happy to be out that long as I’ve akways hated cycling and trying to change my mindset :D Still hate dicing with the traffic mind . Amazing how many cars don’t indicate at junctions and roundabouts and wankers who give you hardly any room when overtaking
Good on him to apologise but no good if he hit ya. I nearly got wiped out yesterday.

I think it's Lanchester.
Didn’t hit me just missed by inches, I must have slapped the Vs up to half dozen motorists this morning

Last edited:
Missed chance to edit ... I know that’s not fast but it is what it is , happy to be out that long as I’ve akways hated cycling and trying to change my mindset :D Still hate dicing with the traffic mind . Amazing how many cars don’t indicate at junctions and roundabouts and wankers who give you hardly any room when overtaking

Didn’t hit me just missed by inches, I must have slapped the Vs up to half dozen motorists this morning

I nearly hit a cyclist this morning in Durham - he was obscured by a car overtaking him as I looked along the road when it was clear he must have been in the blind spot when I pulled out but managed to stop. Went to apologise as I'm often on the other side of the argument on my bike only to get a fuck off you wanker before I'd even spoke.

I nearly hit a cyclist this morning in Durham - he was obscured by a car overtaking him as I looked along the road when it was clear he must have been in the blind spot when I pulled out but managed to stop. Went to apologise as I'm often on the other side of the argument on my bike only to get a fuck off you wanker before I'd even spoke.
Good judge of character.

Can anyone recommend some cycling footwear? I commute to work and do a leisure ride or two per month of up to 60 miles each time. I often end up popping into Tesco or somewhere on my way home, so I really don't fancy the expensive clip-on shoes that you can't really walk in and end up tottering about skidding like you have footy boots on. I sometimes just jump on my bike for a quick trip into town wearing my everyday trainers or go to the pub.

At the moment I have a bog standard pair of MuddyFox cycling trainers and the sole just wore through. I'm generally after something with a hard wearing sole, that is not going to break up like a softer standard trainer. Under £40 would be ideal.

If I do go more expensive is there any sort of pedal & clip that will give me the power advantaged of clipping in but without the bambi on ice awkwardness of some clips?

I know a few people get round the problem by having two or more bikes to chose from. Might be an option if I get a new one in a couple of years.

Can anyone recommend some cycling footwear? I commute to work and do a leisure ride or two per month of up to 60 miles each time. I often end up popping into Tesco or somewhere on my way home, so I really don't fancy the expensive clip-on shoes that you can't really walk in and end up tottering about skidding like you have footy boots on. I sometimes just jump on my bike for a quick trip into town wearing my everyday trainers or go to the pub.

At the moment I have a bog standard pair of MuddyFox cycling trainers and the sole just wore through. I'm generally after something with a hard wearing sole, that is not going to break up like a softer standard trainer. Under £40 would be ideal.

If I do go more expensive is there any sort of pedal & clip that will give me the power advantaged of clipping in but without the bambi on ice awkwardness of some clips?

I know a few people get round the problem by having two or more bikes to chose from. Might be an option if I get a new one in a couple of years.
Sounds like some mtb pedals (SPD) are in order.
You should be able to come in under budget but the pedals will be a one off cost. I've always got on well with Shimano.

Sounds like some mtb pedals (SPD) are in order.
You should be able to come in under budget but the pedals will be a one off cost. I've always got on well with Shimano.

Cheers. I was looking at those earlier, though there is not much of a discount in my size.

Back