**** 2019 Golf Thread ****

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can you imagine being stuck behind a 3 or 4 ball, all 40+ handicappers in a comp?

Mate, been there, seen it, moaned and complained, thats why I no longer am a member of a golf club and just follow my professional golf son, not worth the aggravation

Mate, been there, seen it, moaned and complained, thats why I no longer am a member of a golf club and just follow my professional golf son, not worth the aggravation

The pro at Boldon is very good. If the play is too slow you just give him a ring, tell him where the hold up is, and he'll come and sort it out.

The pro at Boldon is very good. If the play is too slow you just give him a ring, tell him where the hold up is, and he'll come and sort it out.

Sorry mate but that is my club, and this does not happen, we have no pro, and only a shop keeper so not so sure where you are coming from here

Whats everyones thoughts on the new handicap system that will be brought in shortly. I'm not keen but time will tell
I play like 5 or 6 rounds a year so for me it would be good to actually get a handicap which would motivate me to play more to get it down.
However I’d never dream of playing a competition until I actually got good.

Can I also add it while I’m not very good, I do play quickly and I’ve been stuck behind “good” players who play 8 practice shots for each shot so it’s not just bad players who lead to long rounds

Sorry mate but that is my club, and this does not happen, we have no pro, and only a shop keeper so not so sure where you are coming from here

Happened last year with us. Karl is the pro (shop owner). We'd been on the course for about 2 hours and were only on the 8th stuck behind the slowest 4 ball I've ever seen. Another game behind us phoned Karl and he came and spoke to us. We told him it was the game in front that was holding up the course and he made them stand aside for at least 3 other games. They walked down the 17th after playing the 10th and were never seen again.

Happened last year with us. Karl is the pro (shop owner). We'd been on the course for about 2 hours and were only on the 8th stuck behind the slowest 4 ball I've ever seen. Another game behind us phoned Karl and he came and spoke to us. We told him it was the game in front that was holding up the course and he made them stand aside for at least 3 other games. They walked down the 17th after playing the 10th and were never seen again.

Fair dos mate, but it very rarely happens

Are you still a member or have you given it up?

Karl told us if we're ever held up and the game isn't giving way then we just need to phone him and he'll sort it out.

I stopped playing some 3 years ago, i was captain in 2010, and the back problem is bad at present so unwise to try to swing the golf club.My two sons are well known members, team players, the younger now the professional, its a nice golf club, always short of funds, a great membership and always have the club at heart. The course is superb, the new green keeper has turned it round big style and is now a top course in north east golf

I stopped playing some 3 years ago, i was captain in 2010, and the back problem is bad at present so unwise to try to swing the golf club.My two sons are well known members, team players, the younger now the professional, its a nice golf club, always short of funds, a great membership and always have the club at heart. The course is superb, the new green keeper has turned it round big style and is now a top course in north east golf

We hadn't been members anywhere for 13 years and were looking for a club last year (the kids are older so we can play more). We played Sharpley and Shields and they were OK but Sharpley wanted over £800 :eek: We played Boldon in April and the course was in amazing condition, probably the best I've seen the greens on any course at that time of year. We joined pretty much there and then and don't regret it. Some great lads and lasses there.

If you were captain in 2010 I'll probably know you as I was a member for 3 years up until 2005.

We hadn't been members anywhere for 13 years and were looking for a club last year (the kids are older so we can play more). We played Sharpley and Shields and they were OK but Sharpley wanted over £800 :eek: We played Boldon in April and the course was in amazing condition, probably the best I've seen the greens on any course at that time of year. We joined pretty much there and then and don't regret it. Some great lads and lasses there.

If you were captain in 2010 I'll probably know you as I was a member for 3 years up until 2005.

PM me mate

Your youngest wouldn't be Rhys, now on the Euro Tour would it? He was on our team for the SMB Golf day, blew us out of the water and I think he was 14 then. Glad he's living his dream. Been following him on Instagram and some of his training is a bit mindblowing, but I suppose that's what you have to do these days. Sorry to hear about your back, nowt worse when your an avid golfer.

Kin'hell, how much! Nice enough place, a bit short and a good test in the wind but I'm amazed someone is going to pay that to be a member there :eek:

Got a mate at Hexham, only £650 I think and head and shoulders above Sharpley I think.

Your youngest wouldn't be Rhys, now on the Euro Tour would it? He was on our team for the SMB Golf day, blew us out of the water and I think he was 14 then. Glad he's living his dream. Been following him on Instagram and some of his training is a bit mindblowing, but I suppose that's what you have to do these days. Sorry to hear about your back, nowt worse when your an avid golfer.

Kin'hell, how much! Nice enough place, a bit short and a good test in the wind but I'm amazed someone is going to pay that to be a member there :eek:

Got a mate at Hexham, only £650 I think and head and shoulders above Sharpley I think.

Its £720 pal

Im sure the handicap secretary can put a max handicap on competitions @madone might be able to confirm this

Aye that's right as our comp sec has max of 20 in most individual comps. Pleased Rhys is living his dream mate.

Last edited:

If you’re a winter golfer it’s probably worth it

Sharpley must make an absolute fortune in the winter/autumn from guest fees compared to other clubs

My first time stepping on a course I was better than a 50 handicap. Hopefully most courses see sense and split it in divisions. What point reduction will a 50 handicap get per shot under handicap? Must be nearly a full shot. 8 or thereabouts.
I prefer medal comps anyway. When your getting 42 points and not being In the prizes it does your head in.
Miss the days I was getting 42 points though.

Off to Benidorm with the lads next week for Cheltenham and was hoping to maybe fit in a round. Has anyone played Villaitana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back