*********2018 Cycling Thread********

I have no experience of them, but there's no reason for them not to work well I suppose. But it seems a bit of a strange thing to do if you are talking about brand new kit. I would have thought you could buy a full groupset much cheaper than mixing & matching components.

What exactly do you have in mind? Personally I love Campag road gear, but if I was buying a new setup I wouldn't want to have anything below Chorus because the lever design on the lower groupsets don't let you do the same multiple gear shifts with one stroke of the lever like you used to be able to do across the whole range on earlier designs. And then It's starting to get expensive, whereas it sounds like you are wanting keep the price down. The latest Shimano 105 groupset looks like the best current price/performance offering at the moment I think. Although I would rather look for good second-hand high-end Campag stuff personally like - but then I'm just a mad old git.

its just one of those crazy ideas i get sometimes

full groupset (of anything) is out of my budget.

but new campy triple veloce shifters (somewhere between tiagra and 105 i believe) are about 50 quid cheaper than tiagra triples and about 100 quid cheaper than 105 triples

and i already have a 10 speed 105 RD, which means all i would need is a 10 speed shimano cassette (which is buttons compared to a campy one, and with nicer ratios for a fat bloke from Consett), and the shiftmate

I have no experience of them, but there's no reason for them not to work well I suppose. But it seems a bit of a strange thing to do if you are talking about brand new kit. I would have thought you could buy a full groupset much cheaper than mixing & matching components.

What exactly do you have in mind? Personally I love Campag road gear, but if I was buying a new setup I wouldn't want to have anything below Chorus because the lever design on the lower groupsets don't let you do the same multiple gear shifts with one stroke of the lever like you used to be able to do across the whole range on earlier designs. And then It's starting to get expensive, whereas it sounds like you are wanting keep the price down. The latest Shimano 105 groupset looks like the best current price/performance offering at the moment I think. Although I would rather look for good second-hand high-end Campag stuff personally like - but then I'm just a mad old git.

New Tiagra 10 speed very decent...as with Campag, SRAM and Shimano trickle down means you get very decent components for “relative” buttons

its just one of those crazy ideas i get sometimes

full groupset (of anything) is out of my budget.

but new campy triple veloce shifters (somewhere between tiagra and 105 i believe) are about 50 quid cheaper than tiagra triples and about 100 quid cheaper than 105 triples

and i already have a 10 speed 105 RD, which means all i would need is a 10 speed shimano cassette (which is buttons compared to a campy one, and with nicer ratios for a fat bloke from Consett), and the shiftmate
I thought them jtek things work by adjusting the pull on the cable to the rear mech, but what do you do with the front? To be honest I don't know how modern front shifters work (all my stuff is older models) & I don't know how compatible a campag front lever will be with a Shimano triple front mech. Years ago you could mix & match all sorts but I would avoid it with modern stuff if I were you.

I thought them jtek things work by adjusting the pull on the cable to the rear mech, but what do you do with the front? To be honest I don't know how modern front shifters work (all my stuff is older models) & I don't know how compatible a campag front lever will be with a Shimano triple front mech. Years ago you could mix & match all sorts but I would avoid it with modern stuff if I were you.

apparently front mechs just 'work' no matter what you use - road/mtb, sram/shim/campy

whats the worst that can happen

;)

I mentioned a few months ago that a diagnosis of angina has given me a dignified excuse for years of shit tt performances.
Yesterday on the club ride a guy commented that it was the first time ever that he's been able to overtake me on a climb.
Today I saw my cardiologist for the results of CT angiogram last week - It's looking like a double bypass op for me pretty soon

I mentioned a few months ago that a diagnosis of angina has given me a dignified excuse for years of shit tt performances.
Yesterday on the club ride a guy commented that it was the first time ever that he's been able to overtake me on a climb.
Today I saw my cardiologist for the results of CT angiogram last week - It's looking like a double bypass op for me pretty soon

That’s not good news. If it’s any consolation I know a bloke who had one in his early 50’s I think he was, said it was great and gave him a new lease of life. Still runs and cycles, now just complains that his knees can’t keep up with his new heart

That’s not good news. If it’s any consolation I know a bloke who had one in his early 50’s I think he was, said it was great and gave him a new lease of life. Still runs and cycles, now just complains that his knees can’t keep up with his new heart
That's what I'm hoping for - PBs all the way next year :)
For now I'm more worried that it might fuck up the skiing holiday we've already booked.
Trying not to think about them jacking me chest open like though but.

That's what I'm hoping for - PBs all the way next year :)
For now I'm more worried that it might fuck up the skiing holiday we've already booked.
Trying not to think about them jacking me chest open like though but.

Tell the bloke at the club to take advantage of overtaking you while he can because you will be back with a vengeance!

Bloody Hell! I hope you get yourself sorted soon.

Right. Things have accelerated a bit over the last week or two. Cardiac angiogram report says part of my left anterior descending artery has stenosis of "more than 95%". FUCK! I'm getting my chest cavity jacked open tomorrow morning for a double bypass jobbie.

The surgeon says there's only a 1% chance that my bikes will be appearing on eBay next week.

Right. Things have accelerated a bit over the last week or two. Cardiac angiogram report says part of my left anterior descending artery has stenosis of "more than 95%". FUCK! I'm getting my chest cavity jacked open tomorrow morning for a double bypass jobbie.

The surgeon says there's only a 1% chance that my bikes will be appearing on eBay next week.

Bloody hell...sounds serious

Best way of luck

Best of luck with that Al.

Do we get smb discount?

Good luck!

Just met the anaesthetist. He was in his cycling gear - just ridden down from Manchester Royal Infirmery to the Alex in the rain on a fixie. We've been comparing time trial times. I think everything is going to be OK.
Good luck Al

Back