*********2018 Cycling Thread********

Just the L'etape...was going to get the Ares ( reduced from £950 to £400 but only large and extra large in stock)
With The Ultegra di2 and my American Classic semi aero wheels should make a decent bike, and certainly would have cost at lot more for similar spec if bought as full bike.

I've found in most cases it's no cheaper to do a self build, but the odd time when there are a lot of discounts about, like now, it can be cost effective.

I also like nice new shiny parts arriving in the post ;)
I HAVE BEE
Just the L'etape...was going to get the Ares ( reduced from £950 to £400 but only large and extra large in stock)
With The Ultegra di2 and my American Classic semi aero wheels should make a decent bike, and certainly would have cost at lot more for similar spec if bought as full bike.

I've found in most cases it's no cheaper to do a self build, but the odd time when there are a lot of discounts about, like now, it can be cost effective.

I also like nice new shiny parts arriving in the post ;)

Fuck knows what happened there! Anyway, I was about to say that I have been thinking about the Tuono frame for a new build - it looks good with more classic horizontalish top tube, but not sure if it would be a bit stiff/ harsh ride for my aged bones. The L'etape is a bit old-manish for my aesthetic, despite me being an old man. Good frame, like though but.

Fuck knows what happened there! Anyway, I was about to say that I have been thinking about the Tuono frame for a new build - it looks good with more classic horizontalish top tube, but not sure if it would be a bit stiff/ harsh ride for my aged bones. The L'etape is a bit old-manish for my aesthetic, despite me being an old man. Good frame, like though but.

Had a Dolan bike/frame in the past and liked it.
To be honest I liked the look of the Ares but not my size( being a short arse)
The di2 is the "older version" rather than the 800 series, but changes really aesthetic( git big crank arm etc trickle down from Dura Ace. The 6780 version works superbly and the wife has it on her "summer bike"

If I'd gone for the bike direct with Dolan( after adding pedals,better wheels and Adamo Saddle I'd easily be looking at £1000 quid more than what I can put it together for, benefit I suppose of being able to recycle/cannabilise.

I’ve just racked up 500 miles for the year after my commute today, hoping to beat 8000 for the first time this year.

No target but I'd expect to be around the 10,000 again...normally try and get set hours in with distance taking care of itself.
slightly down last year( 9,500 ish) and year before exceeded the 10,000

See what is around the corner( injuries/illness)

Last edited:
They do seem to do some great deals on the odd Ares frame on the factory clearance site, but I guess you would just have to wait and hope that the right size would come up sometime in an acceptable colour - for some reason the ones in the An Post green used to be sold off cheap a lot. I'm maybe keeping my eye out for a Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi Mod frameset/bike in the right size & colour to build a nice light one, but I'm too tight to pay what they are worth. The thing is I have to love my bikes, and that means they have to have a bit of a classic look to them - In my mind's eye I look like Eddy on the bike so proper sloping top tubes are out for a start. I accept that this might be an illness but I'm old enough to be considered eccentric now anyway.

They do seem to do some great deals on the odd Ares frame on the factory clearance site, but I guess you would just have to wait and hope that the right size would come up sometime in an acceptable colour - for some reason the ones in the An Post green used to be sold off cheap a lot. I'm maybe keeping my eye out for a Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi Mod frameset/bike in the right size & colour to build a nice light one, but I'm too tight to pay what they are worth. The thing is I have to love my bikes, and that means they have to have a bit of a classic look to them - In my mind's eye I look like Eddy on the bike so proper sloping top tubes are out for a start. I accept that this might be an illness but I'm old enough to be considered eccentric now anyway.

:lol:

The Ares reduction is a stonker, but not for the first time it left me wishing I was a bit taller.
Quite impatient when I start something, and besides the previous summer bike is past it's best and will become permanent turbo bike, so would like new one for March ish.

The di2 is the "older version" rather than the 800 series, but changes really aesthetic( git big crank arm etc trickle down from Dura Ace. The 6780 version works superbly and the wife has it on her "summer bike"

If I'd gone for the bike direct with Dolan( after adding pedals,better wheels and Adamo Saddle I'd easily be looking at £1000 quid more than what I can put it together for, benefit I suppose of being able to recycle/cannabilise.

No target but I'd expect to be around the 10,000 again...normally try and get set hours in with distance taking care of itself.
slightly down last year( 9,500 ish) and year before exceeded the 10,000

See what is around the corner( injuries/illness)
Having 4 kids (including a 1yr old and a 2yr old) is my biggest barrier to doing those miles at the mo. Class distances though mate

Having 4 kids (including a 1yr old and a 2yr old) is my biggest barrier to doing those miles at the mo. Class distances though mate

A lot of junk miles I'm afraid...when I raced I would do a few thousand less but quite structured and hard ..nee junk miles...now all about just keeping base ticking over.

As for kids

Just sell them ;)

Decent sale on at Ekoi at the minute

I've got some of their stuff and it's very decent quality( all Italian made)
These are a decent bargain
http://www.ekoi.com/en/1116-soldes-flash-speciales-collants

Last edited:
A lot of junk miles I'm afraid...when I raced I would do a few thousand less but quite structured and hard ..nee junk miles...now all about just keeping base ticking over.

As for kids

Just sell them ;)

Decent sale on at Ekoi at the minute

I've got some of their stuff and it's very decent quality( all Italian made)
These are a decent bargain
http://www.ekoi.com/en/1116-soldes-flash-speciales-collants
I just use my Aldi bib trousers when it's cold

I just use my Aldi bib trousers when it's cold

The ekoi stuff is canny...

The best full on winter bibs I've got are the old dhb( full Roubaix and wind slam panels etc) I have, very warm..
I've one of The Ekoi Thermal skinsuits that I wear more often than not. No gaps etc and when worn with a good jacket and even a baselayer you're good to go no matter how cold( even for me who suffers in the cold)

The skinsuit looks a bit like a onesie mind :oops:

I see Froome's defence is going to be that his kidneys weren't taking the piss. Guilty or innocent is he always going to be tainted from now on? Is team Sky doomed? Do we care?

I see Froome's defence is going to be that his kidneys weren't taking the piss. Guilty or innocent is he always going to be tainted from now on? Is team Sky doomed? Do we care?
yes and yes, would have nice to have believed it WAS marginal gains, which I suppose the asthma stuff it, but legal ones mebbe?

Yes, not sure, not really

As I’ve said previously it’s bizarre that it could be something not performance enhancing nor a masking agent( from a lot of what I’ve read) that might be what tarnishes his career

Very odd

The Dolan frameset just arrived( very quick delivery) and must say it’s a belter...nice big fat downtube ( @Al might not like the “ modern” look)
Stonking value given it includes fork, seatpost and headset...

https://www.imageupload.co.uk/image/E1xx

Nee rush now for the small bits and bobs needed given a few months on winter bike yet ;)

As an alternative to Mallorca which we did last year and loved, anyone ever stayed in Nice for a cycling holiday and if so, what's the craic?

Back