*********2018 Cycling Thread********

The coaches are the main reason for choosing month and time of day.
Earlier or later in day better and tourist season best avoided.

Soller climb not too bad....find femenia tough due to the heat (rocks somehow reflect the heat on that climb)

Loads of lesser known climbs to monasteries...san Salvador (South of island) and Santa Margalida( near inca) though not easy to find the fucker.
San Salvador- that's the one. There's a hotel in Cala Dor with a Canyon hire shop attached to it, noticed they do organised rides up to the monastery.

Most likely doing this in March

Should be ok...still the odd bus.
If possible do it early or later in day
Problem is generally you’re a couple of hours ride at least to get to foot of climb...so might mean a long day and early start.
Also a couple of draining climbs whichever way you head there( femenia, Batalla or Soller)

Problem is generally you’re a couple of hours ride at least to get to foot of climb...so might mean a long day and early start.
Also a couple of draining climbs whichever way you head there( femenia, Batalla or Soller)
Great!

On an unrelated note, where do you buy epo?

Great!

On an unrelated note, where do you buy epo?

All depends where you’re based...if Pollenca or Alcudia probably Femenia or Batalla...then you have a tough couple of K climb to get to the official top of Col de Reiss before the descent
E bay...love to try it mind

Wonder how much difference a couple of doses would make on a hard climb :cool:

Mate at work did it last year with a group. Said they'd done some hard climbs before they got to the Col de Reiss. (From Porta Polenca) they did the short climb up and down Sa Colobra. When they got to the bottom, one of them asked "how do we get back?" :lol:
He didn't realise there was only one road. He paid for a taxi back over €100

Mate at work did it last year with a group. Said they'd done some hard climbs before they got to the Col de Reiss. (From Porta Polenca) they did the short climb up and down Sa Colobra. When they got to the bottom, one of them asked "how do we get back?" :lol:
He didn't realise there was only one road. He paid for a taxi back over €100

Or wait for the boat...which in off season is every two days:lol:
That’s the unusual thing...no bale out option( fuck paying a taxi) so if you go down you know you’ve got to come back up the thing.

Know the likes of a Hitchin and others on here will have long longer or climbs with more ascent...still quite tough though as no way to start it fresh on your ride

Last year was a right off for me cycling wise lost a lot of fitness. On a mission to get back on it this year start of our in the CX then into the road bike when the weather improves

Target 2,000 miles plus.

Also either Bastogne to Arnhem or St Malo - Le Harve via Omaha. In other words Battle of the Bulge to A Bridge Too Far. Or Saving Private Ryan.

And you should all enter this - http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-76/
I
Nee word on whether The Penshaw Punisher is returning this year, the organiser is keeping his cards close to his chest...
I enjoyed that last year can highly recommend it. If I ever manage to get back on a bike I might do it again myself. 0 miles or Ks this year. Work and man flu have finished me.

Riding wise probably same old same old....nowt specific unless someone on here wants to organise summat ?

Foreign/sunny jaunt ?
@Cee Jay fancy trying something for the TDF?
Has anyone done any of the Foundation's cycling challenges? Just wondered what they were like?
John Monghan sp? has not sure of his user name om here.

F

Last edited:
I enjoyed that last year can highly recommend it. If I ever manage to get back on a bike I might do it again myself. 0 miles or Ks this year. Work and man flu have finished me.

Got the new bike just before New Year, finally got out on it tonight and managed about 500 yards backwards and forwards in the street in the dark with no lights on. A cracking start to the New Year. Ambitions are low.

@Cee Jay fancy trying something for the TDF?

John Monghan sp? has not sure of his user name om here.

F

Could be interested...route not going anywhere in laws place this year and always fancied doing something TDF wise.

Going to be tight leave wise this year..especially if I can get @Oswald Ballbag out to Mallorca again in September.
Sure I could wangle a bit time off if anything comes of it ;)

Mallorca Easter, wife’s 50th so sure we will do summat and usual fortnight at the outlaws...

Always sick leave I suppose :lol:

Fecking lunatic drivers. About 5 of them. All this afternoon.
Out on my bike above Kibblesworth, comes to the brow of a small hill with a bend. A car flies past me, doing about 60 in same direction as me. He gave me plenty of room, but was fully on the other side of the road as he overtook me. He had the same view of the road ahead as me, none. Anyone coming the other way and it would have been carnage, and would have probably taken me out too.
Back home, goes to Aldi in the car. Car ahead coming towards me is indicating right, and sits there till i just about reach him, then decides to turn. If i hadn't jumped on the brakes, i would have hit him.
Coming back from Aldi, gets to Heworth roundabout and waits for green. Green light,so we pull off, only for 3 cars to fly across at high speed, all on red.
Potential killers these twats. Thats without the texters and phone users being taken into consideration.

New bike project underway

Sold TT bike which is going towards another self build( by lbs obviously ;))

Reckon by using existing good wheels and swapping saddle I can put together a carbon bike with di2 for £1300(including labour)

Be impossible to get one like that for anywhere near that...quite like the shopping about for bits and bobs.

Groupset ordered
Dolan carbon Frameset ordered

:cool:

Fecking lunatic drivers. About 5 of them. All this afternoon.
Out on my bike above Kibblesworth, comes to the brow of a small hill with a bend. A car flies past me, doing about 60 in same direction as me. He gave me plenty of room, but was fully on the other side of the road as he overtook me. He had the same view of the road ahead as me, none. Anyone coming the other way and it would have been carnage, and would have probably taken me out too.
Back home, goes to Aldi in the car. Car ahead coming towards me is indicating right, and sits there till i just about reach him, then decides to turn. If i hadn't jumped on the brakes, i would have hit him.
Coming back from Aldi, gets to Heworth roundabout and waits for green. Green light,so we pull off, only for 3 cars to fly across at high speed, all on red.
Potential killers these twats. Thats without the texters and phone users being taken into consideration.
It's terrifying the amount of absolute ***** on the road: few near misses last year.

New bike project underway

Sold TT bike which is going towards another self build( by lbs obviously ;))

Reckon by using existing good wheels and swapping saddle I can put together a carbon bike with di2 for £1300(including labour)

Be impossible to get one like that for anywhere near that...quite like the shopping about for bits and bobs.

Groupset ordered
Dolan carbon Frameset ordered

:cool:
Which frame?

Which frame?

Just the L'etape...was going to get the Ares ( reduced from £950 to £400 but only large and extra large in stock)
With The Ultegra di2 and my American Classic semi aero wheels should make a decent bike, and certainly would have cost at lot more for similar spec if bought as full bike.

I've found in most cases it's no cheaper to do a self build, but the odd time when there are a lot of discounts about, like now, it can be cost effective.

I also like nice new shiny parts arriving in the post ;)

Back