**** 2017 Cycling Thread ****

We do a lot of social rides around the 90 mile mark and stop somewhere. My dad has just got a Dawes galaxy which is nice.

Pure lush out there today like hew.

Which obviously means all the fucktards are out walking their dogs/children in the middle of the cyclepaths.

Took refuge in a bar to gather my thoughts (onto my second Vedett).

It looks OK. A traditional style touring bike with reasonable-ish components. It's a style of bike that's fallen out of favour cos not so many people do touring these days & people seem to think it's not cool to ride a bike with a pannier on even though it's really useful. A very practical style of bike for all-year steady commuting if you're not bothered about pretending to be a racer, & the gearing will get you up any hill as gently as you like. I still have my 30yr-old steel touring bike & often go for a ride for it just because it's so comfortable - it feels like riding around on an armchair in comparison to some of my other bikes, which is often what you want - I can put a pannier or two on & nip to the shops, have a trundle to the pub, etc. Might even use it for touring again some day. Everyone should have one if you ask me.
I really should sell my Disc Trucker, but I just can't do it. Absolutely the best bike I've ever ridden. Slower and heavier than most tectonic plates, but an absolute joy to ride.

Last edited:
Are fixed gear bikes the best thing ever invented? Absolutely in love with mine.

Went up Cox Green/Wearside Golf Club climb for the first time on it last night :lol:

Are fixed gear bikes the best thing ever invented? Absolutely in love with mine.

Went up Cox Green/Wearside Golf Club climb for the first time on it last night :lol:
I did 42 mile round trip commute twice this week on mine. Hopefully this is me starting to get some miles in again but the old legs are a bit wobbly at the moment - maybe due to 87" gear. Fixed gear is just a joy - my favourite ride so long as nee proper hills are involved.

I did 42 mile round trip commute twice this week on mine. Hopefully this is me starting to get some miles in again but the old legs are a bit wobbly at the moment - maybe due to 87" gear. Fixed gear is just a joy - my favourite ride so long as nee proper hills are involved.
I've racked up 100+ miles on mine this week :lol:

I just love it like. Mind, I'm only pushing a weeny 74 inches...

Had a bit of a disaster coming home on tuesday night, going up downhill lane on my way home. I think the chain of events were, snapped half of a quick link, that went round into derailleur, got jammed up in the jockey wheels, pulled the derailleur round on itself snapping the hanger. Derailleur then makes a bit for freedom down the road to become even more of a mangled mess :cry: Had to order a new chain £20, a new derailleur £35, a new rear hanger £18, new gear cable £2. But obviously since I was putting an order it I had to order some new GP4season tyres some tubes, and a muck off cleaning kit.

I am going to take the cassette off and give that a good clean. What is the best way to get it looking as good as new, can I just put it in a bucket of a chemical for a couple of hours?

Had a bit of a disaster coming home on tuesday night, going up downhill lane on my way home. I think the chain of events were, snapped half of a quick link, that went round into derailleur, got jammed up in the jockey wheels, pulled the derailleur round on itself snapping the hanger. Derailleur then makes a bit for freedom down the road to become even more of a mangled mess :cry: Had to order a new chain £20, a new derailleur £35, a new rear hanger £18, new gear cable £2. But obviously since I was putting an order it I had to order some new GP4season tyres some tubes, and a muck off cleaning kit.

I am going to take the cassette off and give that a good clean. What is the best way to get it looking as good as new, can I just put it in a bucket of a chemical for a couple of hours?

I'd include some new bar tape there while you're on.

Re cassette - just a sqirt with some degreaser, rub down & re-lube. No need to be too anal about it - I always think there's something a bit wrang with people who's cassettes are unnaturally clean.

And be thankful that the rear hanger did it's job. They are designed to snap off like that so as not to wreck the frame.

Right then, you're next. When are you gannin' to start riding fixed?

when get back/hip sorted and make it back racing I'll consider it ;)

Overgearing up steep hills probably caused injuries in the first place so riding fixed maybe not the best idea

good point, my bar tape is white and I've been meaning to replace it with black for months, forgot to order it so it'll have to wait a bit longer,

And be thankful that the rear hanger did it's job. They are designed to snap off like that so as not to wreck the frame.
yea I know that's what it's there for. It didn't save the derailleur but at least there is no snapped carbon.

Re cassette - just a sqirt with some degreaser, rub down & re-lube. No need to be too anal about it - I always think there's something a bit wrang with people who's cassettes are unnaturally clean.

Guilty as charged :lol:
WHEN I clean it I like to use the ultrasonic cleaner( filled with de greaser) Was only £15 quid from Aldi and intended for cleaning jewellry etc but does a great job on cassettes

when get back/hip sorted and make it back racing I'll consider it ;)

Overgearing up steep hills probably caused injuries in the first place so riding fixed maybe not the best idea
Look, it's going to happen eventually. Best not fight it. Secretly you know it makes sense - you're little excuses already sound feeble.

Look, it's going to happen eventually. Best not fight it. Secretly you know it makes sense - you're little excuses already sound feeble.
He lives round the corner from me, he can have a go on mine.

Not on Strava.....didn't happen ;)

BTW that first bit up from pub( to first bend) is possibly the most pot holed road in the NE...terrible

Aye, it's horrible. Rarely ride it though.

Logon or register to see this image
[/IMG]

I've not made a ride public this year I don't think. All the kudos notifications started to get on my tits...

Last edited:
He lives round the corner from me, he can have a go on mine.

Aye, it's horrible. Rarely ride it though.

[/IMG]

I've not made a ride public this year I don't think. All the kudos notifications started to get on my tits...

Aye get on my nerves, especially those from people you don't know and for nothing type rides.

Cox Green my hill repeat of choice, short but nasty with shitty surface

GVA :cool: arguably a Sagan fuck up away from the perfect classics campaign

Backed among others Moscon at 15o/1

To say I was getting excited at the end is a bit of an understatement :lol:

He is a huge huge talent

Lovely this morning...did see a full team kit wanker with head to toe Sky kit..including helmet and overshoes :lol:
Also another pet hate of mine....polka dot jersey wearer.
Know it shouldn't bother me...but it does ;)

Back