2013 cycling thread -Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if any of you have local contacts but we got a couple who work the ski season in the Alps to provide us with support on the day. They used their own car and the van that we'd hired to meet us at a few points around the course to stock up on gels, bars, drink etc. Saved us carrying loads of stuff - even more important when you're riding for (presumably) 15+hrs. If I can find their details I'll pass them on if you're interested. When we all pooled in together it only cost us @ £40 each for their wages and petrol and it was worth it's weight in gold rather than queuing at the feed stations for the lottery of crap that they supply.

My mate who wanted to do the Tour de Mt Blanc lives in Brockley - don't you live in SE London? I could put you in touch (although he's a W Ham fan!).

that's really kind mate-hadn't even thought about something like that. they have a van that you can drop bags of gear in and it meets you at 3 checkpoints and they make hot food up too. also have to think about lights and night gear etc. if you have the contact details that'd be great.

does he ride at a local club? i am indeed in SE London.[DOUBLEPOST=1388145216][/DOUBLEPOST]
Or you could go down to the Costa Blanca (Altea, Calpe) Highly, highly recommend it for the quality of the roads and glorious mountain rides.

my folks live on the opposite side of the valley to the coll de rates and I've never thought to take my bike!

that's really kind mate-hadn't even thought about something like that. they have a van that you can drop bags of gear in and it meets you at 3 checkpoints and they make hot food up too. also have to think about lights and night gear etc. if you have the contact details that'd be great.

does he ride at a local club? i am indeed in SE London.[DOUBLEPOST=1388145216][/DOUBLEPOST]

my folks live on the opposite side of the valley to the coll de rates and I've never thought to take my bike!

I know the Coll de Rates really well. I guess your folks live in Parcent or elsewhere in the Jalon Valley? I'll be cycling past their place next week - going out from 2th-9th Jan to kick start my training. It is fabulous cycling country and highly recommended for early spring training before the Alps or the Pyrenees are open. Go up to places like the Port de Tudons & Aitana and you'll climb up to over 1,000mtrs, which starting from sea-level are really good climbs. I'm back out in March and maybe again in May.

I don't think my mate rides with a club - my bunch of mates in London ride regularly together and we do sportives together so no need for a club really.

I know the Coll de Rates really well. I guess your folks live in Parcent or elsewhere in the Jalon Valley? I'll be cycling past their place next week - going out from 2th-9th Jan to kick start my training. It is fabulous cycling country and highly recommended for early spring training before the Alps or the Pyrenees are open. Go up to places like the Port de Tudons & Aitana and you'll climb up to over 1,000mtrs, which starting from sea-level are really good climbs. I'm back out in March and maybe again in May.

I don't think my mate rides with a club - my bunch of mates in London ride regularly together and we do sportives together so no need for a club really.

ha they do-they live in vernissa park so I think when mrs mt is busy revising I will bugger off there for a couple of long weekends. to be fair I only started cycling a couple of years ago but now I know I have that resource it's fantastic. someone mentioned a bike hire shop down in javea which I might use rather than schlepping my bike around.

to be honest if I'm in a big group like the club ride in I find it gets too congested with the stopping and starting that you can't avoid like at junctions and the like.

ha they do-they live in vernissa park so I think when mrs mt is busy revising I will bugger off there for a couple of long weekends. to be fair I only started cycling a couple of years ago but now I know I have that resource it's fantastic. someone mentioned a bike hire shop down in javea which I might use rather than schlepping my bike around.

to be honest if I'm in a big group like the club ride in I find it gets too congested with the stopping and starting that you can't avoid like at junctions and the like.

I know of good bike hire shops in Altea & Albir but don't know Javea so well (apart from that it's the start of one of the biggest climbs in the area, up the Sierra Bernia). Let me know when you're thinking of going out and we may get to ride together. I can at least give you lots of routes through the mountains. I'm leaving one of my decent bikes out there this year to encourage me to get out quite regularly.

Sale on at Rapha...

aye just had their e mail. .
fancied another merino baselayer but fuck that still too pricey.
final ride of 2013 done. .
safe riding next year everyone and hope we can do smb ride next year. . .
hurry back Flav and get the fucker organised

aye just had their e mail. .
fancied another merino baselayer but fuck that still too pricey.
final ride of 2013 done. .
safe riding next year everyone and hope we can do smb ride next year. . .
hurry back Flav and get the fucker organised
Aye happy new year to all the cyclists. 40 mins on the turbo for me last night, that's the training over for 2013. Hope we get another brilliant summer with loads of miles in.

Aye happy new year to all the cyclists. 40 mins on the turbo for me last night, that's the training over for 2013. Hope we get another brilliant summer with loads of miles in.
Happy new year to all me cycling marras. Hope to get better soon, get fit and get some rides in with some of you next year. (if anyone has an old turbo they don't want to help me back to fitness Ill happily pay some good wedge for it!)

Happy New Year Ciclistas. Just been out for a run as it's too flooded around here to get the bike out. Though it's forecast to be 20 degrees in Spain when I arrive on Thursday!! :cool::cool::D

Have a good one everyone and particularly thinking of Mal at the moment (and good on you Fullwell for contemplating the turbo - unfortunately I need to use mine myself) :cry: Halfords have one advertised for £70 in their sale.

I'm up for another SMB ride in the Spring if Flav pulls his finger out and gets it organised (although I reckon CeeJay's organisational skills could come to the fore in Flav's absence!!). Happy to do another C2C in a day if others are up for it………...

Nice to see the cycling thread back up.

Cant get moved for roadies though.Cyclocross season easing to a close in a few weeks.Just had my first ride for a week and a half,after knacking my back,pushing my bike through the mud at Carlisle.Feels great to be back on my bike.

six weeks to start of season . .
Fuck Fuck Fuck

and Hitchin i play the idiot role so i can avoid responsibility of organising duties !

new year best and all that

Happy New Year Ciclistas. Just been out for a run as it's too flooded around here to get the bike out. Though it's forecast to be 20 degrees in Spain when I arrive on Thursday!! :cool::cool::D

Have a good one everyone and particularly thinking of Mal at the moment (and good on you Fullwell for contemplating the turbo - unfortunately I need to use mine myself) :cry: Halfords have one advertised for £70 in their sale.

I'm up for another SMB ride in the Spring if Flav pulls his finger out and gets it organised (although I reckon CeeJay's organisational skills could come to the fore in Flav's absence!!). Happy to do another C2C in a day if others are up for it………...

I agree Cee Jay for leader! Have a good un lads :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back