200 best albums of the last 25 years

With respect that’s not the case - Dark Side of the Moon, Ziggy Stardust, Revolver, Pet Sounds to name 4 random albums - all before my time and all four absolutely piss on anything made in the past 25 years
And that’s coming from someone who is neither a Floyd or a Beach Boys fan

I’ve tried my best to embrace newer music but very little stands out for me and I don’t see much in the original list that will be regarded as game changing classics in 25 years time
They're hardly four random albums though are they, they're four albums that most people would have in the top 20 albums of all time so no surprise "they piss on" anything made in the past 25 years.

4 random albums would be

Perry Como - Its impossible
David McCallum - A part of me / a bit more of me
Falling in reverse - The drug in me is you
Olivia Newton John - have you never been mellow

which do not piss on anything in that list.

(apologies to all the Falling in reverse fans out there!)

They're hardly four random albums though are they, they're four albums that most people would have in the top 20 albums of all time so no surprise "they piss on" anything made in the past 25 years.

4 random albums would be

Perry Como - Its impossible
David McCallum - A part of me / a bit more of me
Falling in reverse - The drug in me is you
Olivia Newton John - have you never been mellow

which do not piss on anything in that list.

(apologies to all the Falling in reverse fans out there!)
The point I was making is that you could easily come up with 100 -200 albums from the 50's to 1995 which would piss on anything made in the past 25 years
The fact remains that there are very few albums made in the past 25 years that would make any credible all-time list

The point I was making is that you could easily come up with 100 -200 albums from the 50's to 1995 which would piss on anything made in the past 25 years
The fact remains that there are very few albums made in the past 25 years that would make any credible all-time list
It’s not a fact though is it, it’s your opinion which is fine.

New Adventures in Hi-Fi should be in there.
Other notable exceptions not yet mentioned for me would be -
Before The Calm by Witness.
Midnight Organ Fight by Frightened Rabbit.
Faded Seaside Glamour by Delays.

Witness! Givower man, they were REMs Reserve team. Shakin Stevens to REMs Elvis.

Faded Seaside Glamour I’ll give you mind. Poor lad died last week iirc.

Disagree. Just because you don’t listen to the music released today (partially because it’s not in the public consciousness in the same way), it doesn’t mean there aren’t incredible records

I'm not sure any of them had much of an impact on the US centred voters of Pitchfork TBH and there's loads of personal favourites I could pick. Where are Titus Andronicus (aside from their awful last two albums)?

Got 9 of those lps.
Fleet Foxes x 1
White Stripes x 2
Beck x 1
Strokes x 1
Amy Winehouse x 1
Bob Dylan x 1
Massive Attack x 1
Bon Iver x 1

A couple more I likez quite a lot I'd put in there

Disagree. Just because you don’t listen to the music released today (partially because it’s not in the public consciousness in the same way), it doesn’t mean there aren’t incredible records

I think this is a big thing. If someone like, say, Sufjan Stevens had been born a lot earlier, he'd be regarded on a par with some of the icons of the 60s and 70s. There's a lot of reference now to chart music as being all there is currently, which blatantly isn't true. It never really was true though. The Velvet Underground, Nick Drake, Tim Buckley, Laura Nyro and many, many, many more barely grazed the charts but are now regarded as icons.

I think this is a big thing. If someone like, say, Sufjan Stevens had been born a lot earlier, he'd be regarded on a par with some of the icons of the 60s and 70s. There's a lot of reference now to chart music as being all there is currently, which blatantly isn't true. It never really was true though. The Velvet Underground, Nick Drake, Tim Buckley, Laura Nyro and many, many, many more barely grazed the charts but are now regarded as icons.
Quite. Most people will never have heard of him

Indeed, by most people I meant the broader public. Music isn’t as big deal as it once was as far as popular culture goes

There are so many other options now. When I was a youth, you could play Monty Mole and listen to the latest Frankie Goes to Hollywood twelve inch simultaneously. You need all your 8 speakers to play Call of Duty or Football Manager nowadays so can't stream anything by Bob Vylan.

Given how much you like Bon Jovi, that’s quite the relief for the rest of us
You have no idea how much I really like Bon Jovi and how much I just say it for effect. Mind you, Bon Jovi are a zillion times better than Bon Iver.
And shite like Deerhunter, Fleet Foxes and Yo La Tengo - ugh. Give me a break! Laughable tripe.
You've listened to all 200 at least three times?
:lol: just a horrible list imo. Even idiots like Noel Gallagher have made better music

Last edited:
You have no idea how much I really like Bon Jovi and how much I just say it for effect. Mind you, Bon Jovi are a zillion times better than Bon Iver.
And shite like Deerhunter, Fleet Foxes and Yo La Tengo - ugh. Give me a break! Laughable tripe.

:lol: just a horrible list imo. Even idiots like Noel Gallagher have made better music
imo being the key three letters there.

Music is subjective, I'd rather rim Priti Patel than listen to a full Bon Jovi album but you carry on listening to them and other such bands if you want.

Back