2 bands with the same name

Suede are known as London Suede everywhere but the UK because of some bint in the US performing under the same name. Makes them sound like a cheap factory outlet shoe shop.

A couple for the oldies.
Cliff Richard's backing band were originally called The Drifters, and became The Shadows after Norrie Paramour, under threat of a lawsuit from Atlantic Records, sacked the session musicians, hired Hank etc. and changed their name.
There were two blues-harp maestros in the 40s playing under the name Sonny Boy Williamson, one (John Lee Williamson) in Chicago and another, whose real name was Rice Miller, in Memphis. The first was killed in an armed mugging in Chicago in 1948; 'Sonny Boy II' played in this country a lot in the 60s and his last recording was 'I'm Tryin' to Make My Home in London' with a young Jimmy Page on guitar.

I think it happens fairly often with smallish bands until one of them makes it big enough for the others to notice they have the same name. I'm not really basing that on much though.

A couple for the oldies.
Cliff Richard's backing band were originally called The Drifters, and became The Shadows after Norrie Paramour, under threat of a lawsuit from Atlantic Records, sacked the session musicians, hired Hank etc. and changed their name.
There were two blues-harp maestros in the 40s playing under the name Sonny Boy Williamson, one (John Lee Williamson) in Chicago and another, whose real name was Rice Miller, in Memphis. The first was killed in an armed mugging in Chicago in 1948; 'Sonny Boy II' played in this country a lot in the 60s and his last recording was 'I'm Tryin' to Make My Home in London' with a young Jimmy Page on guitar.
Beat me to it.

The Spinners
The Detroit Spinners - just called the Spinners in the US

Dinosaur Jr were so named because of an existing band called Dinosaur. I think.
Yup, they made their first album while they were stilled called Dinosaur.

Yazoo were called Yaz here (and as mentioned, Suede, Charlatans, Beat are all different), The Mission UK

There was an Antlers and The Antlers

I was in a band in London and we got a letter from a band in Canada asking us to change our name

Back