[1st Test] England v Pakistan (Old Trafford)

Seen a stat elsewhere and apparently buttler has had 5 stumping opportunites and missed them all

If we go to India he cannot be behind the stumps.
That is f***ing horrific

Compare that to the incredible stumping Foakes took in the ODI in Ireland

I'm sorry but there is no longer any viable excuse not to have Foakes behind the stumps

Tomorrow is massive for Buttler. He has kept ok this summer, but he needs to make runs. And it’s now or never.

Genuinely hope he makes a double ton and this is the making of him
He is obviously very talented but I agree with the consensus that Foakes should be in the team, on current form. But there is always tomorrow ...

The mandatory loss v Pakistan is worth finally get rid of Buttler for me. Fed up of seeing players who are the selectors' pets who should be nowhere near the team. Last year we had Roy, Bairstow and Buttler cost us the Ashes. We still have Buttler. I have precisely zero confidence in a setup that has cod ordinary 'faces that fit' Giles and Ed Smith involved. If anything epitomises England's strive for mediocrity it's Ashley Giles and his 54! Test caps.

I defend Jof from some of the absurd crap he gets, but that sounds a cop out to me.
To counter...

Last edited:
Pakistan just being typically Pakistan. No rhyme or reason, how they do is down to how they're feeling on the day. They might concede 400 runs today or skittle England out twice

Surprised more hasn't been said of Root having stokes bowl an 11 over spell which has forced the change to the extra bowler.

Worked against the windies but arrogant we stuck with the same team.

Obviously today could go well and it's vindicated. But that extra batter sees stokes not coming in so soon.

Back