1999/00 Sunderland v Aston Villa (18/10/99)

Just uploaded

Very few people coming in late and nowhere near as many empty seats at the end is the first thing I noticed. And yes, I realise the stadium was crammed in those days, but even when it’s been full in recent times thousands have still poured in after ko and left before the end.

Very few people coming in late and nowhere near as many empty seats at the end is the first thing I noticed. And yes, I realise the stadium was crammed in those days, but even when it’s been full in recent times thousands have still poured in after ko and left before the end.

we were in the north east corner back then and when people left early, the north stand would start singing, 'i'm staying til the end'

Different era mate, probably didn't see thousands of people watching penalties through their phones either.

Watched this on the telly - 11 year old

Pretty sure we couldn’t get tickets for this one.

The reason people weren’t late and didn’t leave early was the simple fact going to watch Sunderland play back then was class - the fans had a real connection with the players, manager even the owner to an extent. We had quality yet relatable players in the squad who didn’t take the piss. We had a fantastic new stadium that was not looking tatty as it does now. We were on a wave.

We’ve had that many fuck ups since those days that it’s surprising so many still come back. But I reckon very few of us get absolutely buzzing to go to the match as we did back then.

Back