1992 FA Cup Final

NutballPFC

Full Back
Should've been Pompey in the final and not Liverpool, after we lost on pens at Villa Park. Most disappointing result in my time as a Pompey fan after we played them off the park at Highbury. I read an article from John Byrne recently, he often wonders what might've been if it was the Mackems v Pompey at Wembley and how it would've been great for football. Probably be the only time in history it would've been an all 2nd division (Championship) final. Any thoughts?

Should've been Pompey in the final and not Liverpool, after we lost on pens at Villa Park. Most disappointing result in my time as a Pompey fan after we played them off the park at Highbury. I read an article from John Byrne recently, he often wonders what might've been if it was the Mackems v Pompey at Wembley and how it would've been great for football. Probably be the only time in history it would've been an all 2nd division (Championship) final. Any thoughts?
Definitely shouldn't have been cause you lost on pennas.

I often think how different our Wembley record might be if we didn't draw clubs like Liverpool and Man City in their pomp.

Then I remember that we also lost to Norwich, Charlton, Swindon and Portsmouth and realise we are just the worst team in the world to support when it comes to getting your hopes up only to kick you in the knackers.
Point taken, but Liverpool were quite far from their pomp in 1992 iirc.

My biggest disappointment was because the game over ran at Highbury they had about 5 minutes build up for the Sunderland v Norwich game. At the time I think it was the 2nd live Sunderland game I had watched on TV (1st being the 85 milk cup final).

Point taken, but Liverpool were quite far from their pomp in 1992 iirc.
They were League runners up the previous season, which was their 10th consecutive season in the top 2, 6 of those they were champions, plus 2 FA cups and a losing final, so not that far from their pomp.

Last edited:
They were League runners up the previous season, which was their 10th consecutive season in the top 2, 6 of those they were champions, plus 2 FA cups and a losing final, so not that far from their pomp.
It was the season after they were utter shite I think. Which was a total one off and have been top 8 ever since mainly being top 5. Their pomp was something else. The relative shit they’ve had since is success a club like us can only dream of. I hate the scouse bastards but they’ve always been upper tier of clubs in my 34 years blessing this earth

Why shouldn't Liverpool have won?

We were properly shit tbf. I had the choice of going to the Cup Semi with my dad or WWF with my cousin and his family that day, both in London. 9 year old me chose to go to the WWF. :oops:

I assumed Liverpool or Everton won everything, all the time then and the wrestling was more exciting. It seemed that way at school. Little did I know I'd grow into my teenage years as a football obsessive and realise wrestling was fake. :lol:

Still, final was good.

Last edited:
It was the season after they were utter shite I think. Which was a total one off and have been top 8 ever since mainly being top 5. Their pomp was something else. The relative shit they’ve had since is success a club like us can only dream of. I hate the scouse bastards but they’ve always been upper tier of clubs in my 34 years blessing this earth
Sixth in '92 then sixth and eighth the seasons after, that's after finishing outside the top 2 only once in the previous 19 seasons. They've been runners up 3 times since '92. As you say shit by their standards but what we would give to be that shit.

Back