1970s Blues/Guitar Rock - Friday gig

Status
Not open for further replies.

I agree - a lot more polished now but I preferred the sexy out of breath grunts and raw changes in power in his original work.

Yes, there's even a difference in his voice in Bad Co. compared with his Free days.

I suppose on Tons of Sobs he was a lot deeper than on the Free album, when I think his voice was just brilliant( Woman, Songs of Yesterday). Though my own personal favourite vocal is the alternative take of Love you so (on the box set Songs of Yesterday), which is just fantastic. .....

Yes, there's even a difference in his voice in Bad Co. compared with his Free days.

I suppose on Tons of Sobs he was a lot deeper than on the Free album, when I think his voice was just brilliant( Woman, Songs of Yesterday). Though my own personal favourite vocal is the alternative take of Love you so (on the box set Songs of Yesterday), which is just fantastic. .....

No doubt that Rodgers voice was more raw in the Free days and that it is still a fine instrument. Whatever he's taking is working....I'm sure Plant, for example, would have agreed to the Zep reunion after their one-off at the O2 but his voice clearly wasn't up to it.
Don't know about you guys but I'd really like to see Andy Fraser and Paul Rodgers end their feud and at least perform together again. Life's too short and all that....

No doubt that Rodgers voice was more raw in the Free days and that it is still a fine instrument. Whatever he's taking is working....I'm sure Plant, for example, would have agreed to the Zep reunion after their one-off at the O2 but his voice clearly wasn't up to it.
Don't know about you guys but I'd really like to see Andy Fraser and Paul Rodgers end their feud and at least perform together again. Life's too short and all that....

Too much to hope for an unannounced turn up of Rodgers and Kirke tonight for a Fraser ,Rodgers , Kirke , Buckton set??!!!

Too much to hope for an unannounced turn up of Rodgers and Kirke tonight for a Fraser ,Rodgers , Kirke , Buckton set??!!!

Wouldn't that be cLass? Fraid not ...Kirke and PR are on tour with Bad Co in the States....Simon has sat in with Freeway before.
But PR? That would be something....

Last edited:
True...but you know what I mean...in fact being from the backend of the 60`s makes it even more remarkable how well Rodgers voice has aged.

Best rock singer ever - Paul Rodgers.

Plant's voice was never the same after he had surgery on his vocal cords in the early '70s. It was gone by '75.

With Rodgers, I've often wondered if he stopped smoking in the early '70s. He has that rheumy, gravelly voice in his early Free work, and a lot of it's gone by the time of Bad Co. If you listen to Dylan on Nashville Skyline there's a dramatic change in his voice that was attributed to him having stopped smoking for a while. The vocal's a lot smoother. It's a similar change to Rodgers'.

These threads inspired me to do a little youtube trawl.

I found a video of Joe Bonnamassa and Andy Fraser playing Mr Big Live. It was excellent - except for the singing.

I also found a video of Joe Bonnamassa and Paul Rodgers playing Fire and Water live. It was excellent - but was missing Andy Frasers bass.

Now I recall reading that Bonnamassa was mooted as a potential guitarist in a Free ex-members 'reformation' and that he would be very keen (seen quotes from him on it).

He has the imagination and 'progressive' approach that would appeal to Fraser and the Blues-rock credentials that compliment Rodgers.

I'm not one for pointless attempts to recreate the past but can somebody just have a word with everybody and get a Rodgers, Frasre, Kirke Bonnamassa band together. I'd travel a long way to see and hear that.

These threads inspired me to do a little youtube trawl.

I found a video of Joe Bonnamassa and Andy Fraser playing Mr Big Live. It was excellent - except for the singing.

I also found a video of Joe Bonnamassa and Paul Rodgers playing Fire and Water live. It was excellent - but was missing Andy Frasers bass.

Now I recall reading that Bonnamassa was mooted as a potential guitarist in a Free ex-members 'reformation' and that he would be very keen (seen quotes from him on it).

He has the imagination and 'progressive' approach that would appeal to Fraser and the Blues-rock credentials that compliment Rodgers.

I'm not one for pointless attempts to recreate the past but can somebody just have a word with everybody and get a Rodgers, Frasre, Kirke Bonnamassa band together. I'd travel a long way to see and hear that.

I'd be ower the knot seeing those three doing a Free set like. I've seen Rodgers and Kirke with Bad Co and they were excellent like (pity Ralphs wasn't), but Free would be extra special. One of the very best rhythm sections ever Kirke and Fraser.

Anyone got two seats going from and returning to South Shields? Willing to contribute towards fuel

This - I hope they think of the fans and realise how precious they are to us, forget about rivalries and get it on.

Off for the ferry and then the metro through to Tynemouth for a couple of pre-gig liveners.
Getting quite excited now:cool:

Well...were you there?
What a great night...what a gig!
When Andy Fraser played Mr Big it was a privilege to see and hear it. He gave us a real eclectic mix of rock, jazz and blues with young Tobi Earnshaw to the fore.
But for me the night really took off when Andy joined "support" act Freeway on stage for part of their excellent set, laying down that throbbing bass for Be My Friend, Songs of Yesterday and a terrific rendition of Fire and Water. Wonderful.
But for those of you on this thread who have (quite understandably) called for a dream "Free" collaboration involving Paul Rodgers, Andy, Simon Kirke and Joe Bonamassa, I hope you understand now why I'd substitute the reLatively unknown John Buckton from Freeway as the guitarist.
He was brilliant last night...and playing Koss's very own guitar to boot. Talk about a
throwback.
Great turnout. Wonderful night.

Well...were you there?
What a great night...what a gig!
When Andy Fraser played Mr Big it was a privilege to see and hear it. He gave us a real eclectic mix of rock, jazz and blues with young Tobi Earnshaw to the fore.
But for me the night really took off when Andy joined "support" act Freeway on stage for part of their excellent set, laying down that throbbing bass for Be My Friend, Songs of Yesterday and a terrific rendition of Fire and Water. Wonderful.
But for those of you on this thread who have (quite understandably) called for a dream "Free" collaboration involving Paul Rodgers, Andy, Simon Kirke and Joe Bonamassa, I hope you understand now why I'd substitute the reLatively unknown John Buckton from Freeway as the guitarist.
He was brilliant last night...and playing Koss's very own guitar to boot. Talk about a
throwback.
Great turnout. Wonderful night.

I was there. Fully agree , John Buckton is the nearest to Kossoff in tone.
Would be great to see him play with Kirke,Rodgers and Fraser.

Great gig last night!

Hunter, it was so good you posted The same message twice.
I was nice to meet you in the bar before the gig, not sure about the white shoes you had on, reminded me of the shock I had in the sixties when King Charlie came out with baseball boots on.
Tobi was a talent, think he is in the wrong group, should be with youger people, just wish Andy Fraser had worn a big floppy hat and bobbed from side to side, as he did in Free, but, we all move on.
Freeway where inspired, the hall was very like the Bay hotel, only in those days we sat on the floor, if the people there last night sat on the floor, they would still be getting up, someone at the back of the room was selling drugs, paracetamol, cough medicine and ibuprofen!!! Well we are of a certain age. But last night I was twenty.

Hunter, it was so good you posted The same message twice.
I was nice to meet you in the bar before the gig, not sure about the white shoes you had on, reminded me of the shock I had in the sixties when King Charlie came out with baseball boots on.
Tobi was a talent, think he is in the wrong group, should be with youger people, just wish Andy Fraser had worn a big floppy hat and bobbed from side to side, as he did in Free, but, we all move on.
Freeway where inspired, the hall was very like the Bay hotel, only in those days we sat on the floor, if the people there last night sat on the floor, they would still be getting up, someone at the back of the room was selling drugs, paracetamol, cough medicine and ibuprofen!!! Well we are of a certain age. But last night I was twenty.

Ha...but less of the footwear damnation! They were my white leather chelsea boots, as modelled by Marc Bolan back in the day. Nice to see so many 50-somethings up and rocking with Freeway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back