1963-64 Team Profiles

Monty lived in Southwick with his family and moved to Hipsburn Drive by the Barnes.
I think George Herd lived in Hampden Road when he first signed (club lodgings), c
Charlie Hurley The Sycamores?

Bit older, Brian Clough St Nicholas Avenue (my father was engineer at the Children‘s Hospital and would sometimes chat to him by the bowling greens at the bottom of Barney’s Park).

Harry Hooper lived in a bungalow on Alexandra Road towards the Barnes end
Good to know Monty was originally a Northsider like me (somehow I never knew he was from Southwick).
Interesting that Charlie and the others you mention settled on Barnes and Alexandra Road areas, I suppose if I had to live on the Southside it would be in the Ashbrooke area.

Charlie - Early on in Millfield. Later on in Sunderland. Monty in Sunderland. I guess the majority were living very local and they used to go to the bowling alley after training. A good spot for autograph hunters. I remember going and getting Alex Young’s ( Everton ) autograph he was with George Herd and Geordie Mulhall. Great days in the 60’s.
Dunno about the 63/4 players but a lot of the early 70s team frequented the cafe on Fulwell Road , loads of tomato sauce on their fry-ups no doubt.
I think the bowling alley (Locarno) opened in about 1963

Dunno about the 63/4 players but a lot of the early 70s team frequented the cafe on Fulwell Road , loads of tomato sauce on their fry-ups no doubt.
Once saw them playing crazy golf in Seaburn those were the days.

The younger generation of fans will not be able to reminisce in the same fashion. Foreign players come and go and even with our British players there is now always a big turnover in the close season.

Good to know Monty was originally a Northsider like me (somehow I never knew he was from Southwick).
Interesting that Charlie and the others you mention settled on Barnes and Alexandra Road areas, I suppose if I had to live on the Southside it would be in the Ashbrooke area.

Quite a few England international bowlers played here. It was a new world to us lads from Houghton, American style design.

Len Ashurst lived on Newcastle Road for a time. My parents were friends. That's where I first met him. probably 68 or 69
He had a nice house in Nicholas Avenue Whitburn and lived there for years. When I was about 11, I was waiting for the bus at the top of Newark Drive and he stopped his car and gave me a lift to Roker Park. It was very kind of him but he'd probably be arrested now. Anyway RIP Len.

I’ve still got the promotion book and story of the season that the club published
So have I. A very proud moment. Massive crowds and a solid team.
Stepney would of got the nod ahead of monty
Wye aye Man Utd, nailed on . England
scouts thought England stopped at Manchester. Monty was a better keeper, he starred week in, week out.Match of the day had a bid say on who should play for England.
Monty and later Todd we’re overlooked at Sunderland.
Todd, like Watson and Tueart in later years excelled for England having left Sunderland.

Last edited:
Charlie - Early on in Millfield. Later on in Sunderland. Monty in Sunderland. I guess the majority were living very local and they used to go to the bowling alley after training. A good spot for autograph hunters. I remember going and getting Alex Young’s ( Everton ) autograph he was with George Herd and Geordie Mulhall. Great days in the 60’s.
Always a chance of meeting King Charlie on a Friday night in Pearies Fish & Chip shop in Millfield. Oh to be young again........

Would have done a better job than Bonetti when Bonetti was called upon in Mexico(1970)
Bonetti was called up because Gordon West turned down the 2nd goalkeeper slot as he wanted to stay at home with his family.
West was a better goalie than Monty by the way.
A lot of the posters on here seem to forget that. 🤷‍♂️
Ron Springett was ahead of Monty in the pecking order too.

Bonetti was called up because Gordon West turned down the 2nd goalkeeper slot as he wanted to stay at home with his family.
West was a better goalie than Monty by the way.
A lot of the posters on here seem to forget that. 🤷‍♂️
Ron Springett was ahead of Monty in the pecking order too.
The three keepers that went to Mexico were Banks, Bonetti and Alex Stepney. You are right Gordon West declined to go and at the time was considered to be number 2 behind Banks and ahead of Bonetti.
Monty was very unlucky to be left behind especially as he was considered a far better keeper than Stepney. Monty was in the "reserve" group that were on standby. I think Peter Shilton was also in the original provisional squad but did not make the final squad. My recollection at the time (I was 16) is that Stepney came from nowhere to be included. I remember the Look North presenter (Mike Neville ?) saying Monty was by far a better goalie than Stepney.

Back