1963-64 Team Profiles

Too true regarding Monty. Stan Anderson from Horden Colliery, loved Sunderland and never wanted to leave. Brown forced him out. Joe Harvey really wanted him as a leader and top class right half. A few seasons later we helped them out again selling then Dave Elliott a reserve wing half who excelled in their poor team. Those pathetic useless bastards don’t realise this. Nor how we played them
In a friendly to boost their coffers many years ago.

It was Jim Baxter is better than Eusebio.
And Leeds are in for a thrashing . ( of course )
Elliott played all 3 games in the cup against Man Utd. I think Harvey only paid £10,000 to sign him and he helped to keep them up after they had been second bottom and hammered 6-0 off bottom club Blackpool.

so why no move to another club?
No freedom of contract or bosmans ruling back then. When your contract ran out you remained the property of your club even if they weren’t paying you.
Yer oldie fan bangs on about a lack of loyalty in yer modern day player but make no mistake the lads back then wadve been off if it was possible.

No freedom of contract or bosmans ruling back then. When your contract ran out you remained the property of your club even if they weren’t paying you.
Yer oldie fan bangs on about a lack of loyalty in yer modern day player but make no mistake the lads back then wadve been off if it was possible.
Also the Sunderland players were on top money

I’ve still got the promotion book and story of the season that the club published
I had that but lost in n a house move some years ago.
Some non league players turned down Sunderland according to my dad, as they could not get their boots on for notes stuffed in them, that was amateur football at the time.
I re all chatting to a guy who was scoring for , I think, Kimblesworth Cricket Club about 15 years ago and he told me he had been part of the Crook Town team that got to Wembley and was offered a contract with Sunderland but turned it down because he had a good job as a draughtsman at the County Council and he would earn more with that as his career. He said that there a few others who turned down offers on the same basis.

Last edited:
Elliott played all 3 games in the cup against Man Utd. I think Harvey only paid £10,000 to sign him and he helped to keep them up after they had been second bottom and hammered 6-0 off bottom club Blackpool.
You’re spot on Loek. A good player who was kept out of our half back line of Harvey, Hurley and McNab. Dickie Rooks covered Charlie but wasn’t in his class, Dave Elliott was good cover.

Just surprised no one came on for him,

The Board Inn have a picture of the 1966 team in their bar. It's got the bairns team in the away kit and the lads in red and white. Bobby Kerr looks about 6 and Billy Hughes with a short back and sides makes you appreciate the 70's fashion.
It's a great photo. I'd never heard of Willie McPheat before and I googled him. We didn't have a lot of good luck with forwards and injuries in the 60's

The Board Inn have a picture of the 1966 team in their bar. It's got the bairns team in the away kit and the lads in red and white. Bobby Kerr looks about 6 and Billy Hughes with a short back and sides makes you appreciate the 70's fashion.
It's a great photo. I'd never heard of Willie McPheat before and I googled him. We didn't have a lot of good luck with forwards and injuries in the 60's
In the early 60’s, It wasn’t bad luck with Willie McPheat, it was the early days of ‘Dirty Leeds’ that ruined his career. Bobby Collins was to blame and Sunderland were on the lookout for revenge. Charlie had his card marked and in the return fixture he never showed up. Revie protected him from the wrath of Roker Park.
Brian Clough’s injury was accidental and was a mixture of bad luck and a frozen pitch. It cost us promotion and we never recovered from losing him and replacing him was impossible at the time. A young Scot Nicky Sharkey came into the forward line and did well but he was no Cloughie.

Does anyone know, did most of this team live locally? I know Len lived in Whitburn. Maybe Cec lived in Ellington. Where did king Charlie live? Etc

Does anyone know, did most of this team live locally? I know Len lived in Whitburn. Maybe Cec lived in Ellington. Where did king Charlie live? Etc
Charlie - Early on in Millfield. Later on in Sunderland. Monty in Sunderland. I guess the majority were living very local and they used to go to the bowling alley after training. A good spot for autograph hunters. I remember going and getting Alex Young’s ( Everton ) autograph he was with George Herd and Geordie Mulhall. Great days in the 60’s.

How's Monty doing? I heard he wasn't very well, what's the latest?
Charlie - Early on in Millfield. Later on in Sunderland. Monty in Sunderland. I guess the majority were living very local and they used to go to the bowling alley after training. A good spot for autograph hunters. I remember going and getting Alex Young’s ( Everton ) autograph he was with George Herd and Geordie Mulhall. Great days in the 60’s.
Monty lived in Southwick with his family and moved to Hipsburn Drive by the Barnes.
I think George Herd lived in Hampden Road when he first signed (club lodgings), c
Charlie Hurley The Sycamores?

Bit older, Brian Clough St Nicholas Avenue (my father was engineer at the Children‘s Hospital and would sometimes chat to him by the bowling greens at the bottom of Barney’s Park).

Harry Hooper lived in a bungalow on Alexandra Road towards the Barnes end

Back