1963-64 Team Profiles

The other thing worth mentioning...the football gods smiled on Monty years later when he'd left us and had spells with Birmingham (under Ramsey!!), Southampton and then Forest. Cloughie (who was in the Sunderland side when Monty made his debut as a kid) signed him as experienced cover for Shilton...and Monty, in his dotage, won a European Cup winners medal! He deserved that!

Stan Anderson started the season played approx a dozen games the fell out with Alan Brown who replaced him with Harvey who was a good player but I think Anderson was better. Monty was a much better goalkeeper than just about every goalkeeper in the first Division apart from Banks . He certainly deserved an International cap.

Stan Anderson started the season played approx a dozen games the fell out with Alan Brown who replaced him with Harvey who was a good player but I think Anderson was better. Monty was a much better goalkeeper than just about every goalkeeper in the first Division apart from Banks . He certainly deserved an International cap.
That's right. Stan was class but getting on a bit...Harvey got better and better. Stan, then, had a small hand in Sunderland's promotion season and followed it the following year by captaining that lot up the road to their 64-65 promotion.

How close was monty to being an international?
Played for England B if I recall correctly.
Year I left school on Isle of Wight . Emigrated to NZ following year .
IIRC Bonetti got the reserve goalie spot for Mexico 70 just ahead of Monty. I recall watching us get knocked out and the older relatives in the room reckoned Monty would not have conceded at least a couple of the german goals.
Yeah !
Cost us the world cup that decision !

Last edited:
Bon
Very...but not close enough. A disgrace really. Banks was deservedly No1 but Monty should have won caps.
Bonetti was NOT better than Monty but other keepers also won caps - Gordon West, Alex Stepney, Ron Springett and, later in his career, Joe Corrigan, when Monty, in my view, was superior.
He should have been in Mexico.
His closest to a cap come when he was on the bench for a game against France circa 69-70 ...but that was it.
He got quite a few Under-23 caps and also played for the Football League team and, IIRC, England B.
Not any way good enough a reward for a top, top keeper. Thank goodness for 73...his brilliance gave him - and all of us - a day in the sun.
Our 1970 relegation probably weighed on Ramsey's decision to axe him from the Mexico squad when it was cut from 40 to 22. And then Div 2 football from 70 to 76 did him no favours.
But no caps? Still unfathomable.

Bonetti was the best I ever saw in the 1963 promotion decider, last game of the season against Chelsea, Chelsea won 1-0 without him they would have lost

Bon

Bonetti was the best I ever saw in the 1963 promotion decider, last game of the season against Chelsea, Chelsea won 1-0 without him they would have lost
Doesn't alter that fact ,that he had a shocker in the 70 WC ,costing us the chance to progress . If Monty had gone ,he would have probably not as played as badly as Bonetti did that day .
Bonetti was a good keeper but too flashy in my opinion and that was the case in the WC.

Too true regarding Monty. Stan Anderson from Horden Colliery, loved Sunderland and never wanted to leave. Brown forced him out. Joe Harvey really wanted him as a leader and top class right half. A few seasons later we helped them out again selling then Dave Elliott a reserve wing half who excelled in their poor team. Those pathetic useless bastards don’t realise this. Nor how we played them
In a friendly to boost their coffers many years ago.
And Sharkey was better than Eusebio.
It was Jim Baxter is better than Eusebio.
And Leeds are in for a thrashing . ( of course )

Last edited:

Back