1917 - new war film

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date
Paths of Glory I'm sure you mean?

While the number of WW1 movies compated to 2 is tiny there are a few other good ones - Gallipoli, The Water diviner (post WW1 really) and Beneath Hill 60 are three good Aussie ones. And not to forget Lawrence of Arabia.
You`re absolutely right....the Kirk Douglas film. I always get that mixed up with Price Of Glory, the brilliant book about Verdun by Alastair Horne, which I`d stick my neck out and say is the best book I`ve ever read about WWI.

Gallipoli, is a great film too, as you say.

Ta, in May we went to tyne cot to pay our respects. It was utterly depressing to think of so many people being killed over a short stretch of fields.
Mine died first day of the somme at lochnagar crater. We saw his name on thiepval memorial. The scale of what went on is utterly incomprehensible and the futility of it is unimaginable. He was part of the tyneside scottish and they suffered horrendous losses that morning. I'm going to go back in the summer to take in more battlefields before they are lost forever. The youth of today should go and see it and it might make them realise what is important and what's not.

WW1 a horrific experience. I know it looks like a lot survived but if you were unlucky enough to be in forward trenches when it kicked off it was indescribable. Just been listening to Dan Carlin's podcast about "drum fire" artillery barrage. You were almost guaranteed to lose your shit literally and mentally. Too much for men.

Mine died first day of the somme at lochnagar crater. We saw his name on thiepval memorial. The scale of what went on is utterly incomprehensible and the futility of it is unimaginable. He was part of the tyneside scottish and they suffered horrendous losses that morning. I'm going to go back in the summer to take in more battlefields before they are lost forever. The youth of today should go and see it and it might make them realise what is important and what's not.
To be fair there were a few coach loads of Belgian kids at tyne cot when we were there.

What’s amazing is how few people actually know the logistics of “World” War 1, as in the minute area the majority of it took place in.
It took place across a huge number of areas mate. All across the Middle East, Russia, Italy, a huge naval war, all of the nations in the Austro Hungarian empire vs the British empire, oh and Americans came over, not to mention Belgium and France.

“But, despite the solemn ambience of the cemeteries and the Last Post ceremony at the Menin Gate, it was a visit to the Vladslo German War Cemetery, where some 25,000 German troops are buried, that most moved Terry Harragan.
Standing in the late-afternoon sun, we looked out at the tidy rows of stones, their black marble punctuated by an occasional splash of poppy red.
“There are 20 in each plot,” he said, a tear rolling down his cheek. “Twenty men in each plot.”

Old soldiers never forget. But they do forgive.”

'I died in hell (They called it Passchendaele)': A poignant voyage through the battlefields of Flanders

I’m proud to call Terry Harragan my friend. He and his wife are my “London Mam and Dad”. It’s a good article, the cruise bit in the middle is a bit dull mind, but the beginning and end sum up the area very well I think.

Back