1895 World Championship....

Hearts deemed the game to be the world championship and in previous seasons it had been known as The International tournament/similar.

I only found out the other week and it had bugged me for ages, that no trophy was presented. Renton who won it in 1888 had a trophy made themselves to commemorate the game and it is now in the Scottish Football Museum at Hampden (?)

At the time The London Illustrated News used to have an artist at some of the games and althoguh they didnt have one at the SAFC game they had one at the Renton game v WBA. someone colourised it at some point and here it is.

Logon or register to see this image

upload image

johnny Campbell who also played in the 1895 game played for Renton that day and so I guess you could say that he is the only/first British footballer to ever play in 2 x world football finals.

World championship with all teams based in Britain. It’s like when the Americans call things a ‘world series’.

Also, I’m sure this is the first ever game where an English team named an all non-English 11. All our players were Scottish.
Baseball World Series has Canadian and Japanese teams?

Edit: USA and Canada only.

Last edited:
World championship with all teams based in Britain. It’s like when the Americans call things a ‘world series’.

Also, I’m sure this is the first ever game where an English team named an all non-English 11. All our players were Scottish.
Im falling asleep as i type this and i hate defending the yanks but the "world series"was originally a competition created and sponsored by the" Boston World" newspaper ...they went bust but the cometition carried on and they dropped the Boston bit! sorry if seb.

Im falling asleep as i type this and i hate defending the yanks but the "world series"was originally a competition created and sponsored by the" Boston World" newspaper ...they went bust but the cometition carried on and they dropped the Boston bit! sorry if seb.
Never knew that

The Origin of the Name 'the World Series'
For many years, it was believed that the name came from the fact that the original series was sponsored by the New York World Telegram newspaper, thus becoming known as the ‘World’s Series’. However, popular as this explanation may be, it’s not actually true and although the newspaper did report the results of the games, it had nothing to do with the naming of the competition.

The real reason behind the name is thanks to Barney Dreyfuss who was the owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates. In 1903, he wrote to the owner of the Boston Red Sox challenging them to a ‘World’s Championship Series’. The Pirates were the best team in the National League and the Red Sox were the best in the American League.

The games went ahead and Boston won the series five games to three. Over time, the 'World’s Championship Series' name has been shortened to the World Series and has been played every year apart from 1904 and 1994.

Wrong

The Origin of the Name 'the World Series'
For many years, it was believed that the name came from the fact that the original series was sponsored by the New York World Telegram newspaper, thus becoming known as the ‘World’s Series’. However, popular as this explanation may be, it’s not actually true and although the newspaper did report the results of the games, it had nothing to do with the naming of the competition.

The real reason behind the name is thanks to Barney Dreyfuss who was the owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates. In 1903, he wrote to the owner of the Boston Red Sox challenging them to a ‘World’s Championship Series’. The Pirates were the best team in the National League and the Red Sox were the best in the American League.

The games went ahead and Boston won the series five games to three. Over time, the 'World’s Championship Series' name has been shortened to the World Series and has been played every year apart from 1904 and 1994.
Why wasn’t it played in 1994 out of interest?

Back