17th November 1973...A 2 nil loss at Bristol City further

Luna17

Winger
.... dents our promotion hopes and at season's end, we missed out by 2 points to Carlisle United.

However, what was it about Bristol in the 70s ???
What a bogey city it was as we rarely got a decent result at City or Rovers. The best I recall was a 2-2 draw at Eastville in promotion season 79/80 where Dunny scored?
Only major city in UK I've not been to and supposed to be fab city, but apparently going to both grounds in the 70s was very very dodgy.
@T_Bone @Vauxie @Cochise 2 @Wakey ftm in Sussex

I visited Eastville on a Soccer Special. Got on at Hartlepool, shared a table with two lads from South Shields. There was two of us. The trip down was great, uneventful, drinking beer eating stotties and playing black jack.
Landed at a small station and had a day full of trouble. Trouble in a pub before the game where it all went up, big trouble after the game when we were pelted with bricks and bottles going through a subway then we had running fights all the way back to this little station. We left the stadium in a crowd of about 1000 but by the time we hit the Main Street there was only about 20 of us.
We were attacked several times, We got to the station and there was about 200 Home lads waiting for us. The train was due to leave. We had to go through them. We hung around and were joined by maybe another fifteen or twenty lads then we charged them. Proper fighting, the Polis were involved, we were t hanging around, I wanted to get on that train.
We managed it. Quite a few lads were bloodied. Quite a few windows were put through.
The train pulled into Birmingham and there were about fifty Wolves lads on the platform. I didn’t get involved but loads of our lads piled into them. Bloody Hell on.
That’s a brief memory of a visit to Bristol. I was 17.

I visited Eastville on a Soccer Special. Got on at Hartlepool, shared a table with two lads from South Shields. There was two of us. The trip down was great, uneventful, drinking beer eating stotties and playing black jack.
Landed at a small station and had a day full of trouble. Trouble in a pub before the game where it all went up, big trouble after the game when we were pelted with bricks and bottles going through a subway then we had running fights all the way back to this little station. We left the stadium in a crowd of about 1000 but by the time we hit the Main Street there was only about 20 of us.
We were attacked several times, We got to the station and there was about 200 Home lads waiting for us. The train was due to leave. We had to go through them. We hung around and were joined by maybe another fifteen or twenty lads then we charged them. Proper fighting, the Polis were involved, we were t hanging around, I wanted to get on that train.
We managed it. Quite a few lads were bloodied. Quite a few windows were put through.
The train pulled into Birmingham and there were about fifty Wolves lads on the platform. I didn’t get involved but loads of our lads piled into them. Bloody Hell on.

This is accurate

the yr before was even worse with less numbers & getting bricked from the new road being built over the away end.

Mind Sheff & me had a laugh in their end at 3 am with paint sprays :)

It was Bristol City that colluded with Coventry to send us down too - bastards!

Was that the 2-2 draw 1980?
This is accurate

the yr before was even worse with less numbers & getting bricked from the new road being built over the away end.

0-0 draw, Clarke sent off ??
8003 the gate.

Last edited:
Even in the glorious 75-76 promotion season, we lost 3 nil at Ashton Gate, and one half of the 'Smash and Grab' duo - Bruce Bannister, sank us 1 nil at Eastville.

Incredibly, our home league record that season was P 21 W 19 D 2. Guess who the 2 draws were against ??
Yep, Bristol City and Bristol Rovers !!!!

This is accurate

I'm almost certain that some Sunderland fans did a similar thing at Burnley in the early '70s, with Turf Moor ending up with red and white goalposts!

Pretty sure we lost 3-2 at Eastville mid late 70’s as well there were only a few hundred of us standing under the flyover end of the ground, strange ground that one was

Back