1690 - Will they ever stop the celebrations?

In the words of one he’s from wallsend teacher "And they're only going to change this place by killing everybody in the human race."
always gets me that line.

Worked with a lad once who was a die hard Rangers fan. All the orange scarves etc...

Asked him at lunch one day. Why the 12th of July? Why not the 12th of May, 3rd of August 25th of September what is the significance?

He sat and mulled it over. He said "We march on the 12th of July because the weathers always good".

The two lads with me, one a Hibs fan the other Celtic, burst out laughing.

Arnly 1 of them a public Holiday though--about time we had more of a celebration for our Saint

"Our Saint" A bloke from what is now Turkey who never set foot here & is famous for telling lies about killing a creature that never existed. Forced on the English by a Frenchman who couldn't speak English & barely set foot here, replacing a Saint who was actually English in the process.

Celebrated by copying the Irish in using it as an excuse for a pissup drinking Australian/Canadian/Belgian piss & then eating foreign food.
It just seems that hatred is fuelling the world at the moment, or is it the way it's getting reported?

Hate & fear mongering sells more papers/gets more viewers than more benign stories.

Last edited:
Arnly 1 of them a public Holiday though--about time we had more of a celebration for our Saint

We'd have a lot more chance of that if we celebrated local boy St Aidan (feast day 31st August) than trying to fit in another day off between Easter and two May bank holidays, in honour of an imported Asian Saint imposed on us by an invading French army

The Northern Irish will be at it again no doubt - with the Orangemen celebrating King Billy today.
And the other side taking exception to it.

Bonfire Night in the UK is celebrating Guy Fawkes (catholic) not blowing up the the king but really it's just an excuse to burn rubbish and have fireworks and nobody really cares why it all started. Donald Trump seems to be popular on them now it seems. The bonfires in Belfast are at World Record levels just to get one over on people who think the Pope is head of the Church and not the Queen; they often reach massively dangerous levels. I get the Orange Men celebrating their culture, as the rest of the UK celebrates on Nov 5th but this isn't about celebrating a culture it's about getting one over and until the likes of this reduces to a level tolerated by the majority in NI I think there will always be a danger the troubles could start up again. Let both sides celebrate their history and culture but surely there must be a happy medium - imagine having this at the bottom of your street with banners on it wanting you dead.

Logon or register to see this image

If you're a flag maker, it's like Christmas and your birthday rolled into one. Selling Union Jacks and tricolours to both sides for them to either wave or burn.

The Northern Irish will be at it again no doubt - with the Orangemen celebrating King Billy today.
And the other side taking exception to it.
I celebrate the 12th July every year. I can't see the problem with that tbh :confused:
"Our Saint" A bloke from what is now Turkey who never set foot here & is famous for telling lies about killing a creature that never existed. Forced on the English by a Frenchman who couldn't speak English & barely set foot here, replacing a Saint who was actually English in the process.

Celebrated by copying the Irish in using it as an excuse for a pissup drinking Australian/Canadian/Belgian piss & then eating foreign food.

Hate & fear mongering sells more papers/gets more viewers than more benign stories.
Could have been worse. Could have been a Welsh slave in Ireland.

Last edited:

Back