132 new homes approved for Vaux and Riverside Sunderland Area

They should be building new offices and moving Doxy Park and Rainton Meadows into the city centre. Then building new housing estates on both sites.

That could take years. Businesses have 10-15 year leases all probably and different commencement and completion dates. I agree it is the strategy that they need to follow however. Office development will then be built in stages as letting expire and better office accommodation becomes available. One of the big factors is parking provision - parking probably forms part of the rent at doxford and rents are probably lower than what it costs to build new development.

Purely business.

👎
That hasn't really been working n Sunderland for however many years. Plus now with more businesses thinking about working from home is the demand for more office space there? Without that demand and footfall is there demand for shops, cafes, restaurants? By putting people in the city centre footfall increases and you would hope the long term plan is for more business to fill the space.

They should be building new offices and moving Doxy Park and Rainton Meadows into the city centre. Then building new housing estates on both sites.
They are building new offices, it's on the plans. There's empty units at Doxy and Rainton. There's always empty units. Wonderful city centre sight.

If that were the case, why did Darlington get the treasury? Levelling up really needs to region-wide as well as a national level

The north east has 2 sub regions.
The south sub region (tees valley) has a tory mayor & quite a fee tory mp's
That's why Darlo got the treasury jobs

Newcastle always seems to be quoted as what Sunderland should be and do. Is every piece of office and business space in Newcastle occupied?

If you hadn't noticed theyre doing well.....why wouldnt you replicate the successes?
The north east has 2 sub regions.
The south sub region (tees valley) has a tory mayor & quite a fee tory mp's
That's why Darlo got the treasury jobs

It needs a 3rd Sub region........Sunderland!

Last edited:
I'm talking about HMRC.

I ask again, every piece of office/retail space is occupied?

Is that a good indicator? If theyve got far greater capacity for office accommodation some is bound to be speculative. It show confidence in their economy that speculative office accommodate exists for when companies wish to relocate (most cities do).

Is that a good indicator? If theyve got far greater capacity for office accommodation some is bound to be speculative. It show confidence in their economy that speculative office accommodate exists for when companies wish to relocate (most cities do).
So you're advocating building commercial space to stand empty? Seems a false economy to me. Build things that people will use, encourage people, change teh way we live if need be. I don't know the answers but office/retail space is notthe answer in my opinion..

The plans for either side of the river look thought out and balanced, let's see what happens.

So you're advocating building commercial space to stand empty? Seems a false economy to me. Build things that people will use, encourage people, change teh way we live if need be. I don't know the answers but office/retail space is notthe answer in my opinion..

The plans for either side of the river look thought out and balanced, let's see what happens.

There is a balance to be had. Some speculative office space is definitely worth while as it can meet unexpected demand and allow companies to quickly move but too much can flood and depress the market making development unviable. All cities will have unused office accommodation particularly older office stock. I think there has always been an under supply of grade A office accommodation in Newcastle and the north east city centres generally.

Office accommodation won’t go away it will just change, and new developments need to be able to accommodate that need.

I agree that we need a balance of housing, commercial, leisure, retail and training in the city. The retail core needs to be tighter and more concentrated than what we have presently, hence why certain areas become more popular at different times. A lot of talk now about 15 minute cities

not at all, I’m saying if a company was looking to relocate to a place…..the available office accommodation would be factored into it.
Sunderland wouldn’t have the Ocado offices on the vaux site had they not speculated on it

not at all, I’m saying if a company was looking to relocate to a place…..the available office accommodation would be factored into it.
Sunderland wouldn’t have the Ocado offices on the vaux site had they not speculated on it
But how much do you build on speculation? I am not against office space but there are swathes of empty offices scattered throughout the region in both urban sites and business parks. Incentives are what bring in the business, not the available space.

But how much do you build on speculation? I am not against office space but there are swathes of empty offices scattered throughout the region in both urban sites and business parks. Incentives are what bring in the business, not the available space.

I'm not really sure why people keep saying that. Are they expecting a department or company to be scattered amongst different office spaces throughout the region?

As far as Sunderland city centre is concerned, to date there hasn't been much speculated on at all

Agreed, though companies can often begin looking for office space a couple of years in advance of lease breaks or expiry. Spec office space does give flexibility and able to meet new business ventures that require quick turn around, they do also however bring in significant risk and have to plan for lengthy void periods which can affect viability.
As far as Sunderland city centre is concerned, to date there hasn't been much speculated on at all

The beam must have been the first for 20+ years? Don’t think software city or hope street exchange are classed in the same bracket.

Last edited:

Back