132 new homes approved for Vaux and Riverside Sunderland Area

'Affordable'. Aye right

That's what I see every time a new load of houses are going up.
It's absolute bollocks.

They're not building "affordable" housing anymore because there's no money in it for them.
If I won Euromillions big style, I'd be tempted to buy some land to build an estate of actually affordable homes for people.
It wouldn't stop people moaning about things mind, but it might mean there's one less new estate of 3 bedroom vertical shoeboxes that are "detached" because there's a 2ft gap between the houses but you can still hear each other take a dump

It looks like the right way forward to me. City centres are shrinking rapidly as retail moves more and more online. Having 2,500 people living within walking distance increases the chances of creating a smaller, thriving city centre

Many towns/cities need to do this.
I think Bolton is developing a living village in the centre of town. They need to as so many massive things have gone bust leaving big empty units

That's what I see every time a new load of houses are going up.
It's absolute bollocks.

They're not building "affordable" housing anymore because there's no money in it for them.
If I won Euromillions big style, I'd be tempted to buy some land to build an estate of actually affordable homes for people.
It wouldn't stop people moaning about things mind, but it might mean there's one less new estate of 3 bedroom vertical shoeboxes that are "detached" because there's a 2ft gap between the houses but you can still hear each other take a dump

that’s because affordable housing isn’t affordable to build I suspect? I Think the definition they use to define affordable tends to be 80% of market value (the profit element on housing usually) however what they do is sell the affordable housing to a Registered Social Landlord (Gentoo or whoever) and then they rent them out so the affordable homes don’t necessarily come to market to sell, but they do to rent. I believe.
I’d be surprised if they make much profit on this as the house types are non-standard, supposedly off site construction, built to passiv haus standards, with renewables, oh and on a brownfield site.

Last edited:
It looks like the right way forward to me. City centres are shrinking rapidly as retail moves more and more online. Having 2,500 people living within walking distance increases the chances of creating a smaller, thriving city centre

Yeah, I think in shrinking commercial city centres, more nice residential homes and green spaces would be the way forward.

Business could complement the residential needs and would be more boutique and specific.Rather than have boarded up units and charity shops everywhere.

a bit like the nice part of jesmond

that’s because affordable housing isn’t affordable to build I suspect? I Think the definition they use to define affordable tends to be 80% of market value (the profit element on housing usually) however what they do is sell the affordable housing to a Registered Social Landlord (Gentoo or whoever) and then they rent them out so the affordable homes don’t necessarily come to market to sell, but they do to rent. I believe.
I’d be surprised if they make much profit on this as the house types are non-standard, supposedly off site construction, built to passiv haus standards, with renewables, oh and on a brownfield site.

Correct. Well it's affordable in the sense that it costs less than say an estate of 3/4 bed houses, but it's not in the sense that they won't make enough profit from the sale to make it worth building in the first place

Correct. Well it's affordable in the sense that it costs less than say an estate of 3/4 bed houses, but it's not in the sense that they won't make enough profit from the sale to make it worth building in the first place

they tend to be 2/3 bed houses. As I say to be affordable they have to reduce the sale price by 20% which is often the projected profit level for a house. They have to build them due to planning but developers do try to reduce the need on a viability basis which is often just made up numbers on an appraisal.

Back