132 new homes approved for Vaux and Riverside Sunderland Area

Great idea imo.

theres loads of affordable housing in sunderland. There’s loads of knackers with an axe to grind because they fucked about at school and gentoo won’t build them a 4 bed detached for 100k.

That's also the problem with a lot of younger generations. They've been brought up with "You want it? You can get it" parenting and societal influence.
No deferred gratification or saving, it's get it now now now

Who on earth designed these monstrosities? Looks like 1970’s prefab.

I think you’re right but apparently these avante garde design are best we can hope for, and some will be along to shoot down any opinion opposing them.
Personally I’m not a fan of them, I think they look like they’ll date very quickly and there’s a huge opportunity cost to using the land for housing which will kibosh any other developments for generations.

I think you’re right but apparently these avante garde design are best we can hope for, and some will be along to shoot down any opinion opposing them.
Personally I’m not a fan of them, I think they look like they’ll date very quickly and there’s a huge opportunity cost to using the land for housing which will kibosh any other developments for generations.
If that is the style they look very poor.

I still thin we are missing a massive trick with a riverside location. There should be leisure overlooking the river a bit like what Durham have done with Milburn gate

I still thin we are missing a massive trick with a riverside location. There should be leisure overlooking the river a bit like what Durham have done with Milburn gate

I agree, once the land was is given over housing the opportunity to use it for something else is gone as it’s dealing with hundreds of ownership issues rather than one.
The style is very unusual. Houses inspired by “Wearside Maisonettes”. The much maligned maisonette that gentoo/council spent years eradicating from Sunderland? They don’t exactly hark back to a halcyon day of architecture and happy living, rather they were synonymous with problem estates that required years redevelopment to get rid of! Too often these developers misinterpret local history like shipbuilding or housing and try to incorporate an aspect as if it’s a tribute to the past. They’re just making a superficial gesture about development that’s supposed to be engaging to locals.
If something is history it’s there for a reason, it’s time to try something else!

They must be a popular design at the minute. There’s similar going up at Ouseburn, Blyth and Birtley that I know of.

Any parking? Any useable and private outside space? Anywhere to stick a clothes hoss full of wet washing out of sight? Anywhere to put an ironing board? Is there enough space in the master bedroom to store a reasonable amount of clothes so that the 2nd bedroom can actually be used as a 2nd bedroom as opposed to a walk in wardrobe or storage space?

Got to say after a year+ of not being able to gan out to entertain myself the least of my housing worries has been achieving carbon neutrality by 2040

I don’t think it’s a bad idea to put housing nearer the town centre either, it could increase much needed foot fall for the shops, I just think people want proper houses, at least I do and most people I’ve spoken to about it, might be wrong. Who is buying these daft over priced apartments? Landlords that’s who. See the echo building.

Plenty affordable options throughout the city, no problem paying a premium for city centre housing. Stop private landlords buying up and leasing to anyone.

Plenty affordable options throughout the city, no problem paying a premium for city centre housing. Stop private landlords buying up and leasing to anyone.

This is the thing. As much as many on here are quick to judge me, I lived in my flat in Manchester. I didn't buy it with the purpose of renting it out.
When it came to getting a house with Mrs K, it made no sense to sell it, and at that time I'd nearly paid the mortgage off on it, which I then did a short while after.

Plans at Durham aren’t massively different with some ground floor leisure use and either residential or offices above. The main difference is the viability of apartments in the centre of Durham against Sunderland and the topography of the two developments are very different. Durham is almost at river level whereas the Sunderland scheme must be circa 30M+ above river level. Not sure how much of a river view you’d actually get from gf units on vaux as presumably they must be set back from the cliff edge?

You could have outdoor space spilling on to the cliff edge I guess to take in views though might be a tad windy. They will still have decent views of the gorge and bridges I suspect. Personally I’d have preferred a higher rise apartment approach but suspect the values just aren’t there - could be wrong.

there is the option to build in the park where levels are better from that perspective but suspect there are other constraints in doing so - potential for cliff collapse, ground contamination, river wall stability, ecology, services. Anything is ultimately doable but perhaps not viable to do so.

Plans at Durham aren’t massively different with some ground floor leisure use and either residential or offices above. The main difference is the viability of apartments in the centre of Durham against Sunderland and the topography of the two developments are very different. Durham is almost at river level whereas the Sunderland scheme must be circa 30M+ above river level. Not sure how much of a river view you’d actually get from gf units on vaux as presumably they must be set back from the cliff edge?

You could have outdoor space spilling on to the cliff edge I guess to take in views though might be a tad windy. They will still have decent views of the gorge and bridges I suspect. Personally I’d have preferred a higher rise apartment approach but suspect the values just aren’t there - could be wrong.

there is the option to build in the park where levels are better from that perspective but suspect there are other constraints in doing so - potential for cliff collapse, ground contamination, river wall stability, ecology, services. Anything is ultimately doable but perhaps not viable to do so.
Next to the new cinema there is leisure facilities over looking the river. They are well above river level

Next to the new cinema there is leisure facilities over looking the river. They are well above river level
Sorry you are referring to the old milburn gate development, riverwalk(?) my apologies. I guess that is equivalent to galleys gill level but can’t recall the units alo there having much of a view albeit it’s nice to walk along the rivers edge.

This is the thing. As much as many on here are quick to judge me, I lived in my flat in Manchester. I didn't buy it with the purpose of renting it out.
When it came to getting a house with Mrs K, it made no sense to sell it, and at that time I'd nearly paid the mortgage off on it, which I then did a short while after.
Thats fair enough, but if you look at the Echo building for example, was mainly buy to lets. The Town needs people living in the town and using the facilities.

There's flats on the river too(durham) and its a nicer view
saying that the stuff opposite the Radison is all a bit crap looking with more going up
Strange place for a massive council Headquarters too
so much for internal congestion

Back