132 new homes approved for Vaux and Riverside Sunderland Area

i'm 58 ,my family rented a house ,i rented until i was 30 .It is what it is ,houses are expensive but the % loan rate is cheap as chips to get you one
2 lads at work should be saving but they blow every cent on F all . There's not a lot of money in property prices any more year on year unless you're in ceartin areas and average rent is about the same as a mortgage payment or thereabouts ? In saying all that Councils and governments should provide a basic level of decent housing for people at the bottom but thats not all renters

Agree with that. It's a shame those lads don't try and put something aside. I hope if they prefer renting to owning, they're able to save some money too.
There will always be rental needs for people like that ,they wont change

If she does, I'd be absolutely astonished.

Agree with that. It's a shame those lads don't try and put something aside. I hope if they prefer renting to owning, they're able to save some money too.
Its a massive jump,even in 1986 when i left the my Dads the rent for my shite flat was easy 4 times more than board
Being an adult living in your parents house doesnt compute to me.

Thing is though how many people already live within walking distance of the city centre. Remember it's already surrounded by Millfield, Eden Vale, Ashbrooke, Hendon, the East End, Roker, Monkwearmouth etc... add to that the uni students and people already live in the city centre there must be 1000s

I think it means walking distance as in a couple of minutes away.

Its a massive jump,even in 1986 when i left the my Dads the rent for my shite flat was easy 4 times more than board
Being an adult living in your parents house doesnt compute to me.

Not in this day and age. I'd wonder why they wouldn't want their independence - if they could afford it I suppose

From memory, the pictures shown had a caveat of stating they were just indicative drawings, detailing area and mass and are not the actual planned homes.

to be managed by Igloo Regeneration. So they are going to build affordable igloos? I know it can get cold but haway.

Cue loads of moaning about noise, car parking fast food litter etc on matchdays and how they want the club to move the ground
to be managed by Igloo Regeneration. So they are going to build affordable igloos? I know it can get cold but haway.
Watch out for polar bears

Why not just build bog standard semis/detacheds. Everyone likes them, they never go out of style and it will be cheaper in Architect's fees.

Nee need for modern architecture. It's crap.

Very true, and then complain about the quality of materials, the Labour prices the companies pay and the amount of greenfield land that’s being built on.

I would counter that same argument that some of the profit levels that the resi companies have made are obscene at times. The good thing here is that I doubt profit is the driver more market maker.

Flat roof does seem to be the choice for most architects for one reason or another, not sure if it’s to put PV on or to create accessible outdoor space, but like you I am usually dubious about a flat roof.
Maybe water collection.

Amazed that anyone would twist at the idea of new housing in the heart of the city centre.

And the this bollocks about "housing for the homeless veterans" that you sees on Facebook ... does your napper in.

Which part of the Vaux site are they? can't be much room on the top with council offices, eye hospital and that Ocado offices? Are these under neath the cliff then between Vaux and the river?

Great idea imo.
That's what I see every time a new load of houses are going up.
It's absolute bollocks.

They're not building "affordable" housing anymore because there's no money in it for them.
If I won Euromillions big style, I'd be tempted to buy some land to build an estate of actually affordable homes for people.
It wouldn't stop people moaning about things mind, but it might mean there's one less new estate of 3 bedroom vertical shoeboxes that are "detached" because there's a 2ft gap between the houses but you can still hear each other take a dump

theres loads of affordable housing in sunderland. There’s loads of knackers with an axe to grind because they fucked about at school and gentoo won’t build them a 4 bed detached for 100k.

Last edited:

Back