132 new homes approved for Vaux and Riverside Sunderland Area

I agree but the issue is they didnt support what was there to start with. The usually ask for better shops and pubs just won’t happen unless they change the make up and social demographic of the city centre in terms of disposable spend as why would business come to Sunderland?

Stuff like leisure centres is a discussion point but there is an aquatic centre pretty much in the city centre.
So really building more houses in and around the city centre is likely to not have any really impact of the prosperity of the city centre
Its more creating a feel buzz.We're talking breakfast bars ,small grocers and bakeries ,early evening night life ,people walking 2 minutes to a place not 15-20 minutes
The caste majority of those are 5 mins walk from the city centre

Last edited:
First of all, fuck off.
Second of all, you have no idea how/why I'm a landlord.

If I'd bought with the purpose of renting out then I would be in your eyes "as bad as the rest of them", but I didn't.
I've lived in both my properties as I've moved and worked.

You’re still contributing to the lack of supply of housing. The rest is unimportant.

If you’re truly comfortable with it then you won’t need to get angry and tell people to ‘fuck off’. I’m not saying anyone is as bad as anyone else as I have no problem with landlords, I do have a problem when they also bemoan a lack of affordable housing :lol:

So really building more houses in and around the city centre is likely to not have any really impact of the prosperity of the city centre

Yes it will, the more people living in a city centre will create more footfall and ultimately more spend in shops. Housing alone will not change that as it needs to also include employment and leisure offers. You are however unlikely to attract the leisure offers without changing the demographic of Sunderland.

you are using the argument that there is already housing surrounding the city centre however if we stay stagnant they the city centre will decline further as history has shown. I don’t think building a leisure centre for argument sake is purely the saviour of the city centre, nor am I suggesting you are either.

My point is that the type of housing and tenant will determine the amount of money said person is likely to spend in the city centre ie those with higher disposable income will like visit more often stuff like cinema, cafes, restaurants, pubs, theatre etc to those with less disposable income. At the moment the majority of people living in the city centre will likely have less disposable income, that’s not to say they are not important in supporting the city centre as they will certainly add to the overall spend. You just have to look at the cities which are thriving like manchester, Leeds where there is lots of high rise city centre living where residents are more likely to go out and spend locally. The smaller town centres that are doing well tend to be much smaller centres with a limited offer but reasonable population catchment surrounding them.

Reeto :D

Its more about the centre having some sort of use as time goes on because it being a central hub for the city is no required

Last edited:
First of all, fuck off.
Second of all, you have no idea how/why I'm a landlord.

If I'd bought with the purpose of renting out then I would be in your eyes "as bad as the rest of them", but I didn't.
I've lived in both my properties as I've moved and worked.
you can sugarcoat it as much as you want but at the end of the day you lick your lips at the thought of collecting your rent so don't trot out the Euro millions do gooder patter. Fooling nobody :lol:

Last edited:
There is a place for private landlords, as a nation we perhaps need to review our thinking about house ownership and move to a more European model of renting, which may help to push rental prices down. I appreciate that It’s easy to say that as someone who has bought a house of course.

you can sugarcoat it as much as you want but at the end of the day you lick your lips at the thought of collecting your rent so don't trot out the Euro millions do gooder patter. Fooling nobody :lol:
Its also a common choice for everday social hero's once they get a few quid or an inheritance drops

You’re still contributing to the lack of supply of housing. The rest is unimportant.

If you’re truly comfortable with it then you won’t need to get angry and tell people to ‘fuck off’. I’m not saying anyone is as bad as anyone else as I have no problem with landlords, I do have a problem when they also bemoan a lack of affordable housing :lol:

To be fair, the fuck off was more towards KN, rather than you.
Our old house was £100,000. That was affordable to us then. It's an end terrace. These new ones they're throwing up aren't affordable for anyone trying to get out of the blocks.
Its also a common choice for everday social hero's once they get a few quid or an inheritance drops

What? Thinking about other people when you have the ability to help?
How awful.

Last edited:
To be fair, the fuck off was more towards KN, rather than you.
Our old house was £100,000. That was affordable to us then. It's an end terrace. These new ones they're throwing up aren't affordable for anyone trying to get out of the blocks.

What? Thinking about other people when you have the ability to help?
How awful.
On about grabbing a second house and renting it
slagging landlords when they'd do it in a heartbeat if they had the wonga

That's some textbook jealousy right there.
As it happens, the rent cover the mortgage. Hey ho.

I bet you wouldn't give a fuck about anyone else if you won the Euromillions, so you can climb down from your cross now.
He literally dislikes everyone who isn’t giving their life up for the needy. There’s a few posters the same. Every thread they come on and say the person is an arsehole etc.

Bit of a stretch that mind. At what point did I say you have to do that?!
Give over man
On about grabbing a second house and renting it
slagging landlords when they'd do it in a heartbeat if they had the wonga

I wouldn't know about them. That's not my situation. I believe we had a poster the other week on about his daughter wanting to buy a house to rent it out. I don't recall this much rage being aimed that way.

Anyway what I was saying was building actually affordable housing that people would stand a fighting chance of being able to buy.

Last edited:

I bet you wouldn't give a fuck about anyone else if you won the Euromillions, so you can climb down from your cross now.

Give over man

I wouldn't know about them. That's not my situation. I believe we had a poster the other week on about his daughter wanting to buy a house to rent it out. I don't recall this much rage being aimed that way.

Anyway what I was saying was building actually affordable housing that people would stand a fighting chance of being able to buy.
I’m sorry but I post as I see and I think you’re a canny lad but have very little patience for other people’s opinions and come across as very closed minded. It seems if someone doesn’t do exactly as you do then you call them. It does you no favours that

I’m sorry but I post as I see and I think you’re a canny lad but have very little patience for other people’s opinions and come across as very closed minded. It seems if someone doesn’t do exactly as you do then you call them. It does you no favours that

I don't appreciate being lumped in with a group of people whom I'm nothing like.
I cannot stand bad landlords. I think it paints anyone with a second property in a bad light. I wouldn't want anyone to live in a property I wouldn't live in myself. I respect them. I hope they respect me and my old house etc too.
That's not always been the case. It's a massive breach of trust.

Give over man

i'm 58 ,my family rented a house ,i rented until i was 30 .It is what it is ,houses are expensive but the % loan rate is cheap as chips to get you one
2 lads at work should be saving but they blow every cent on F all . There's not a lot of money in property prices any more year on year unless you're in ceartin areas and average rent is about the same as a mortgage payment or thereabouts ? In saying all that Councils and governments should provide a basic level of decent housing for people at the bottom but thats not all renters

I don't appreciate being lumped in with a group of people whom I'm nothing like.
I cannot stand bad landlords. I think it paints anyone with a second property in a bad light. I wouldn't want anyone to live in a property I wouldn't live in myself. I respect them. I hope they respect me and my old house etc too.
That's not always been the case. It's a massive breach of trust.
Fair enough.

Back