13 ways to Suppress Appetite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonz

Striker
I thought this article might come in handy for those of you who are looking to lose a bit of fat/weight in general. Bear in mind, this are experiments by the author so don't take them as gospel that they'll work for you. I haven't tried any of them apart from the intermittent fasting (which I struggled to feel happy with in my current lifestyle).

Shamelessly stolen from PropaneFitness.com (I'm a bit addicted to this site) but I'm sure they won't mind. There's also an article on appetite stimulation if you're that way inclined, or plan to be in the future.

Give them a try and post here what you found to be nice/suitable/effective. I'll be giving them a go as well

http://propanefitness.com/appetite-experiments-part-2-1-ways-to-suppress-appetite/

1) The Propane Latte: 8/10

Creamy banana and peanut butter protein latte. A very satisfying and filling drink that’s zero-carb, high protein and diet friendly, although not much of a looker. Click here for the recipe.

2) 0.5-1 scoop Whey Isolate before a meal: 7/10
This has additional benefits of attentuating the insulin response from a subsequent meal, and is an easy way to both hit your protein requirement for the day while suppressing cravings and appetite. Buy a nice flavour and add some ice to make it something you look forward to. I use MP Strawberry Cream Whey Isolate (Currently buy 1 get 1 half price)

Calorie intake at a lunch consumed 4 hours after consuming various protein – Source: Weightology
While protein is generally more satiating than carbohydrates and fat, increasing the protein-dominance of your total calorie intake will also be more lipolytic [1,2]. Great news. An additional tip would be to eat the protein portion of your meal first, then the vegetables, them the carbs, if any. That way, you’re at least naturally attenuating the damage by prioritising the most satiating macronutrient.

3) Intermittent fasting 7/10
An initial spike in hunger followed by a blunting for up to 36 hours. Additionally, when you do eat, you can eat a 2000kcal meal. The appetite suppression is due to an acute decrease in neuropeptide-y, a stimulator of appetite.
Experiment with different fasting schedules to find one that works best for you (ADF – 36/12, Leangains – 16/8, Propane Protocol: 2 x 24hr/week etc).
The other benefit of fasting is that it allows you to eat larger, more satisfying meals when you do eat, rather than graze throughout the day. If you do 2 x 24 hour fasts per week, this gives you a weekly calorie buffer for other days of the week to eat more.

4) Eating half of your meal, then waiting 20 minutes. 6/10
Sounds silly, but the satiety response is delayed by around this time, so staggering your meals like this is effective for appetite suppression.

5) High Volume Meals: 6/10
Whether or not you’re into fasting, always adjust the volume of your meals to meet your calorie requirements. Here are a few personal favourite high volume, low calorie density meals (recipes in the link above):
a) Pina Colada and Mixed Berry Protein Fluff:
This is so damn tasty:

Recipe here: www.propanefitness.com/forum/topic/protein-fluff
b) Diced Swede with garlic, spinach and spices:

c)1kg grilled mushrooms. That’s right.

Flickr: Daniel Eizans

d) Coconut and Broccoli soup with parmesan:

e) Large salad with low calorie dressing:
I said ‘low calorie’. Some dressings use high fructose corn syrup which do anything but suppress your appetite.

f) Whey + Cottage cheese ice-cream (nicer than it sounds, promise!)

6) Something small and intense: e.g. 2-3 anchovies: 6/10
It’s a little bit of protein + salt, both of which help suppress appetite, and nobody is going to overeat on anchovies!

Flickr: Charles Haynes

7) Black coffee or double espresso: 5/10
If you’re out and about, and can’t make a Propane Latte, regular coffee will do. Caffeine on it’s own doesn’t suppress appetite, but the other compounds in coffee do. Add 1 teaspoon of cream + concentrated sweetener if you can’t stomach it black.

Flickr: fanchonproduction

8) Pint of water: 4/10
Down a pint of water. We often confuse hunger and thirst, and you probably need to drink more water anyway.

9) Brushing your teeth/mouthwash 3/10
If you’re really stuck, at least practice some dental hygiene. Note that both toothpaste and mouthwash generally contain sugar alcohols, so don’t swallow any if you’re on a ketogenic diet… not that you’re that desperate. NB: Sugary mints caused a short-term appetite suppression followed by a rise later.

10) Salt on your tongue: 2/10
This worked for me, I used Maldon Sea Salt during ADF to keep hunger at bay as well as replacing some electrolytes.

11) Green tea capsules: 1/10

Green Tea Extract has many health and fat loss benefits, is fantastic to use before fasted walks, and has a very mild appetite suppressant quality, but nothing to write home about on this front.

Flickr: Yuri Kim

12) Breakfast vs no breakfast:
No significant difference for me, apart from more hours available in the day to eat.
This differs according to the individual, and many find improved appetite by eating carbs in the morning, generating a disproportionate insulin spike and drop. Regardless, we’d advise against this strategy from a body-composition perspective.

Most important meal of the day… if you’re trying to get as fat as possible. Source: NeueDeutsche

EDIT: Berkhan has just published a fantastic article on breakfast here, basically saying that a fit individual with high insulin sensitivity will get MORE of a stimulatory effect on appetite from eating a high-carb breakfast, potentially leading to overeating throughout the rest of the day. The leaner you are, the more pronounced this effect.

So, best to play it safe in all regards and skip breakfast. Even in the best case scenario it will not help you with your fat loss goals.

13) Sleep
Finally, make sure to get enough sleep: deprivation is associated with higher calorie intake. I sent this article to my mum and her response was ‘if you’re asleep, you can’t eat’. Can’t argue with that kind of logic.
Severe appetite problems or fluctuations?
If you have severe appetite issues, make sure to get a full examination from your physician to determine the cause, as it may be indicative of an underlying condition.

I found the more often I eat, the more I'm thinking about my next meal and the hungrier I get.

Guess everyone if different. I have found that if I'm slack at work then my thoughts do sometimes turn to clock watching and my stomach, so a great way to keep your mind off eating is keeping busy.

The harsh reality is that if you want to get lean and you have a high bodyfat set point, or if you have a low-moderate set point and want to get absolutely cut, it's going to get to the point where you're going to be hungry ALL of the time and no matter how much food you eat, you will still be hungry.

The harsh reality is that if you want to get lean and you have a high bodyfat set point, or if you have a low-moderate set point and want to get absolutely cut, it's going to get to the point where you're going to be hungry ALL of the time and no matter how much food you eat, you will still be hungry.

No reason why you can't try things to help you on the way though. The article doesn't necessarily direct at a particular target in that sense.

I've just made tried a similar "latte".

Simply half a cup of coffee, and 100ml of protein shake (one scoop). Stir, microwave, stir, sprinkle some cinnamon on... lovely. I'm a huge coffee fan so this is a great way to get protein in at the same time.

No reason why you can't try things to help you on the way though. The article doesn't necessarily direct at a particular target in that sense.

I've just made tried a similar "latte".

Simply half a cup of coffee, and 100ml of protein shake (one scoop). Stir, microwave, stir, sprinkle some cinnamon on... lovely. I'm a huge coffee fan so this is a great way to get protein in at the same time.

Yeah finding things that 'work for you' to help you feel satiated for longer is always great, but it gets to the point where you can go through over 10k calories and still want more food, it's a horrible feeling

Yeah finding things that 'work for you' to help you feel satiated for longer is always great, but it gets to the point where you can go through over 10k calories and still want more food, it's a horrible feeling

why are you still hungry?

does your body just crave food while it is below your natural fat level

why are you still hungry?

does your body just crave food while it is below your natural fat level

It's a function of the hormone leptin, which is an apatite suppressant. How it works is when you get very lean or below your set point, you'll not be producing much leptin as your body is trying to maintain homeostasis.

It's a function of the hormone leptin, which is an apatite suppressant. How it works is when you get very lean or below your set point, you'll not be producing much leptin as your body is trying to maintain homeostasis.

full marks for me then:roll::cool:

sooooo.. I shouldn't eat breakfast? ffs.. I read on here the other day I shouldn't skip meals and breakfast was the most important.

sooooo.. I shouldn't eat breakfast? ffs.. I read on here the other day I shouldn't skip meals and breakfast was the most important.

I find it a lot easier to skip breakfast than any other meal of the day. It means I can eat larger meals during the day when I'm most hungry and still be in a deficit if I needed to be.

That Propane Latte sounds lovely, but I hate coffee

You can barely taste the coffee man. I used 100ml milk with mine when shaking the chocolate powder.

never ate breakfast in my adult life but this week I've forced porridge down my neck on the advice of this place. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back