11.11.1978...Wayne Entwistle and Gary Rowell earn..

Loved going to the Valley.
Saw Supa Mel score his first away goals for safc there in promotion season 75 to 76.

Also saw, a demolition job in promotion season 79 to 80 when we won 4 nil. Ossie scored a cracker.

And a vital 2-2 draw under Reidy when we narrowly avoided the drop. Went down following season instead.

I don’t remember any bother the day we won there. I know I got wrecked on Brakespear’s at the Ship and Shovel in Charing Cross and spent the night shouting for God down the big white telephone at Euston Station!
Entwistle also scored the winner when we won 1-0 at the Den - now that was dodgy!

West Ham turned up at the 75/76 game, remember one of them getting knocked through someones front window, in a long terraced street stretching down the hill.
Imagine sitting eating your tea, watching final score, and a West Ham fan comes through the big window and lands on his arse in front of the telly.

And got a hat trick on a snow covered pitch against Bristol Rovers
Funny how memory works. To me I remember Wayne Entwistle as a mad skinheed, running around like a headless chicken. Don't remember seeing him score any goals. My memory stands corrected !

I don’t remember any bother the day we won there. I know I got wrecked on Brakespear’s at the Ship and Shovel in Charing Cross and spent the night shouting for God down the big white telephone at Euston Station!
Entwistle also scored the winner when we won 1-0 at the Den - now that was dodgy!
My first away game

And got a hat trick on a snow covered pitch against Bristol Rovers
My first game.
I told my dad that I thought entwistle was great and he was my favourite player. My dad told me that Rowell was much better and I should be a fan of him instead. He was right, and soon after I was running about with a Sunderland shirt with 11 sewn on the back...no printed numbers in 70’s

Funny how memory works. To me I remember Wayne Entwistle as a mad skinheed, running around like a headless chicken. Don't remember seeing him score any goals. My memory stands corrected !
He was a headless chicken ! In a two year spell around that time six or seven players got hat tricks including Rowell Hawley Brown Rostron ( including 2 pens I think ) and Cummins ( he got 4 against Burnley ) .

Back