100 Best crime novels and thrillers since 1945

Behind a paywall but you can read a couple articles free per week if you register.
Interesting list. Some I love, some I think are rubbish and some I've never heard of. Couple of slightly obscure ones that I like in there as well. Pleased to see Joe Lansdale get a bit of recognition, a very underrated writer.
The 100 best crime novels and thrillers since 1945

Cheers for this

All fiction obviously?

Will take a look

Just discussing this article in our writing group yesterday. I think he's a brilliant writer but I've read so many terrible books by people who try and copy his style.
James Ellroy wastes no time, or words, in pushing readers inside US history

Not his fault. It would be like blaming Johan Cruyff when Jeff Whitley fails to execute a Cruyff turn

On the subject of novels in this genre written by women, (I can't get behind the paywall to actually look at the article so sorry if they're all mentioned), I'd expect to see some Patricia Highsmith, Val McDermid, Daphne du Maurier, and for something a bit more modern, Sara Gran

Last edited:
Not his fault. It would be like blaming Johan Cruyff when Jeff Whitley fails to execute a Cruyff turn

On the subject of novels in this genre written by women, (I can't get behind the paywall to actually look at the article so sorry if they're all mentioned), I'd expect to see some Patricia Highsmith, Val McDermid, Daphne du Maurier, and for something a bit more modern, Sara Gran
I wasn't suggesting for one minute that it was. Apologies if that's how it came across.
There's a certain type of writer who attempts to emulate certain American authors and believe that the only reason they don't have a publishing deal is that publishers are afraid of their genius.:lol:

not subscribed to Times so can't see full list... but when it comes to crime thriller novels, etc I take it espionage is included and le Carré rides high? But also that Marathon Man by William Goldman is up there? (ended up as brilliant thriller/film in the 70's)… also rated the early dark comedy/crime novels from late 90's by Christopher Brookmyre (seem to remember one having a scene at the SoL) and back in the 80's the Eric van Lustbader crime stories where east meets west (Black Heart, The Kaisho, etc) were or are worth a read

Back