10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL07SAFC

Goalkeeper
out of the current premier league teams we have been in the prem for the 8th longest amount of time since promotion in 06/07, this is our 10th season now. The 7 above us are the top 7 teams in the league, while we sit bottom, surely we should be more established and easily in the top half now. We have seen teams like Stoke and West Brom come up and cement themselves in the league while we hang on by a thread. We have been involved in a relagation battle 6 times out of a possible 9 times, however with all this time in the prem, we should be a decent side by now not a struggling one.

I was looking back at some of the matches we had under O'Neill the other day.

I knew his record when he first came in was excellent but I'd forgotten how high up we were. After we beat QPR at home in march we were 8th and a couple points behind Liverpool after winning 9 of the last 16.

3 days later we lost to Everton in the cup replay and we didn't win another game for the rest of the season.

That was our chance to cement our place. We had a decent squad and a very good manager. That Everton defeat completely killed him and we've been a disaster ever since. In fact we have won 40 league games since then in the 185 league games we've played.

I knew his record when he first came in was excellent but I'd forgotten how high up we were. After we beat QPR at home in march we were 8th and a couple points behind Liverpool after winning 9 of the last 16.

3 days later we lost to Everton in the cup replay and we didn't win another game for the rest of the season.

That was our chance to cement our place. We had a decent squad and a very good manager. That Everton defeat completely killed him and we've been a disaster ever since. In fact we have won 40 league games since then in the 185 league games we've played.
fuck that, what about spending the first half in 6th with Stevie B. If only we never sold Bent and Gyan :cry:

Our chance came earlier than that under Bruce. Looking at that side and the results will make you weep.

I presume Short isn't a 'football man', that is someone who decides himself which footballers to to buy 'cos he likes the way they play.
If true, it's absolutely unbelievable how many people he's employed in his time who has got it wrong time after time after time.

I bet he's more pissed off than we are. No wonder he wants to up-sticks. Personally I think the AJ/Byrne case was the thing that finally did it for him.

Our chance came earlier than that under Bruce. Looking at that side and the results will make you weep.
That was when ES started looking at the money already being spent and the extra needed to finish in the top 6 or so and decided it wasn't worth it for the risk and returns.
IE: He reckoned the extra few million in prize money for finishing 1-8thish wasn't worth the tens of millions more than it costs to finish 10-12thish.
Not only is this the truth it's also when SAFCs latest bout of problems began.

out of the current premier league teams we have been in the prem for the 8th longest amount of time since promotion in 06/07, this is our 10th season now. The 7 above us are the top 7 teams in the league, while we sit bottom, surely we should be more established and easily in the top half now. We have seen teams like Stoke and West Brom come up and cement themselves in the league while we hang on by a thread. We have been involved in a relagation battle 6 times out of a possible 9 times, however with all this time in the prem, we should be a decent side by now not a struggling one.

I'd argue we've been involved in every season. Even the hallowed "wu finished tenth" season we had a bloody good flirt with it.

I'd argue we've been involved in every season. Even the hallowed "wu finished tenth" season we had a bloody good flirt with it.

Yep. I pointed out on a thread last week that after the Birmingham defeat in April we dropped to 15th and 5 points ahead of 3rd bottom. 09/10 was the one that we never looked like going down and that's only because Burnley finished 18th with 30 points. Even then we were dropping like a stone, 4 months without a win until we beat Bolton in March so wasn't exactly comfortable

Looking back I have really enjoyed the last 10 years supporting the lads. In fact, I have enjoyed the last sixty years supporting the lads.

Looking back I have really enjoyed the last 10 years supporting the lads. In fact, I have enjoyed the last sixty years supporting the lads.

The last 10 years have been grim. Beating a championship side 6 times and one trip to Wembley doesn't change that. The 10 years before were more enjoyable and that included record breaking low points seasons

Even the two years we weren't "involved" in a relegation battle under Bruce in 09/10 and 10/11 I remember being scared about going down during the long winless runs which tended to span months at a time.

So literally every season since promotion we've faced the very real threat of relegation at some point. :oops:

Something died that night. It felt like the cock up SAFC reasserted its head and said "I'm here to stay."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back