10 secs to break into new cars

trying to work out how this happened as if the minute you open the door and a couple feet away from the car it highlights on the dash the key is out of distance so im calling a load of bullshit on this as it would have happened just as she dropped him off and wouldnt have got 20ft away nevermind all the way to the petrol station.
Well it did. Someone from work had to go and pick up the keys. She probably didn’t notice the warning light, being a woman.

They can immobilise it once the vehicle is stationary though and obviously, locate it. That’ll do for me.

Then there’s the convenience side, in the winter you can start the car from your bed and have it nice and toasty for when you’re ready to go or alternatively, chill it out when you’ve been parked up on a hot day.

Thinking on, this is why humanity is coming to a conclusion and we’re all going to die.

Makes the insurance a tad cheaper too.

Are you sure mate....so if it's stationary on a slip road, or at a junction.....or been sat in the fast lane in a bottleneck that clears....

I also have Vodaphone and 100% they cannot immobilise it anywhere. They can locate it, but not stop it in its tracks.

The number of cars that go near me would leave a graveyard every morning!

Well it did. Someone from work had to go and pick up the keys. She probably didn’t notice the warning light, being a woman.
ah woman! haha aye makes complete sense now. might be a model version tbh. mines a f30 2014 reg so my fob may be wireless where others may use mobile frequencies to be able to start the car from that distance.

i do know the BMW Connect app which is about 40quid a year i think lets you start the car from anywhere im sure. can most certainly use it to turn the cold fans on a hot day and track where the car is etc.

So the convenience of not having to press a button to open/close your car but put it in/take it out a pouch is more effort than just having normal remote entry? :lol::lol:
This, it's just gadgets for gadgets sake. Some of the tech in cares no is unnecessary arry arry for me.

Are you sure mate....so if it's stationary on a slip road, or at a junction.....or been sat in the fast lane in a bottleneck that clears....

I also have Vodaphone and 100% they cannot immobilise it anywhere. They can locate it, but not stop it in its tracks.

The number of cars that go near me would leave a graveyard every morning!

100% that the vehicle can be prevented from being restarted, that’s why I pay for it. It’s called PVTS and operated by Vodafone.

It won’t just cut out whilst sat at a roundabout, that wouldn’t be logical or safe. What it does do is wait for the ignition to be turned off and then it blocks it from ever being restarted. By then, in theory you’d have got to the vehicle.

100% that the vehicle can be prevented from being restarted, that’s why I pay for it. It’s called PVTS and operated by Vodafone.

It won’t just cut out whilst sat at a roundabout, that wouldn’t be logical or safe. What it does do is wait for the ignition to be turned off and then it blocks it from ever being restarted. By then, in theory you’d have got to the vehicle.

We're just talking about different levels of immobilisation then. So it's a standard tracker.

My only bugbear with them at the minute is that it would be you going to get it. The police don't bother, unless it trips an ANPR and they have the resource (very likely.....).

Had to use a company car a few months ago it took 4 of us 15mins to work out how to start the damn thing.

We're just talking about different levels of immobilisation then. So it's a standard tracker.

My only bugbear with them at the minute is that it would be you going to get it. The police don't bother, unless it trips an ANPR and they have the resource (very likely.....).

Is that a standard tracker? Where Vodafone will send a signal blocking the vehicles ignition. That sounds like more than a standard tracker to me.

Cars are the highest value item most people will own other than their houses. I’d be pretty confident that automotive manufacturers, telecommunications companies and the insurance industry would be fairly assured that the local constabulary would respond should a car be stolen and then located.

Is that a standard tracker? Where Vodafone will send a signal blocking the vehicles ignition. That sounds like more than a standard tracker to me.

Cars are the highest value item most people will own other than their houses. I’d be pretty confident that automotive manufacturers, telecommunications companies and the insurance industry would be fairly assured that the local constabulary would respond should a car be stolen and then located.

Yeah. You don’t even need a tracker to do that.

Not had your car nicked recently then have you. You’re lucky if an ANPR equipped plod car picks it up. Very rarely do they go hunting for them.

Yeah. You don’t even need a tracker to do that.

Not had your car nicked recently then have you. You’re lucky if an ANPR equipped plod car picks it up. Very rarely do they go hunting for them.

I’d love to know what a more than standard tracker does then if this ones standard?

The moment I leave the house without the transponder they’re on the phone. The moment it leaves a geofence location it alerts me. I can locate it at any moment in time from my phone or online. That’s standard? Really?

I’ve not had my car nicked recently, but I have had a car nicked many years ago. They pursued it to such an extent they let me know it was in Malta 18 months after the insurance paid out. What does ANPR have to do with a telematics system that locates your vehicle for you.

I’d love to know what a more than standard tracker does then if this ones standard?

The moment I leave the house without the transponder they’re on the phone. The moment it leaves a geofence location it alerts me. I can locate it at any moment in time from my phone or online. That’s standard? Really?

I’ve not had my car nicked recently, but I have had a car nicked many years ago. They pursued it to such an extent they let me know it was in Malta 18 months after the insurance paid out. What does ANPR have to do with a telematics system that locates your vehicle for you.

Yes mate. That’s what a tracker should do. Many cars you can do that without a tracker.....loads are wireless hotspots - in fact I think that’s standard on BMW’s now.

If you honestly think the police go looking them you’re deluded.

How do you think they spot nicked cars? Good old police work? ANPR cameras are fixed in suburban locations, on most traffic cars and some other vehicles. They flag up when they see number plates that belonged to stolen/not taxed etc. Of course, the first thing people do definitely isn’t change the plates......

Yes mate. That’s what a tracker should do. Many cars you can do that without a tracker.....loads are wireless hotspots - in fact I think that’s standard on BMW’s now.

If you honestly think the police go looking them you’re deluded.

How do you think they spot nicked cars? Good old police work? ANPR cameras are fixed in suburban locations, on most traffic cars and some other vehicles. They flag up when they see number plates that belonged to stolen/not taxed etc. Of course, the first thing people do definitely isn’t change the plates......

I know what an ANPR camera is, I’m not sure why you’re going on about them.

When Vodafone or Porsche call them to tell them this is where the car is, this is who it belongs to and this is where it was taken from, what does ANPR have to do with it.

For what it’s worth, you’re probably right in some cases, given police resources but I have no interest in worrying about whether the police will pick it up, I’ll leave that to the insurance company to sort out with them. Either it’s a payout for the value of the vehicle or they save themselves some money and go and collect it however they want to. I’d prefer not to have it back if it’s stolen to be honest. Just give me the money and I’ll buy a replacement.

I believe BMW have a key that won’t omit a signal if it’s not moving , plus eBay sell faraday bags to keep your keys in whilst at home.
Just put your key fob in a tin & it works, we use a tin with a lid, tested it with the tin in the car, car wouldn't start, took the keys out of the tin, car started , there's a video on YouTube with some bloke testing beer & pop cans with the tops cut off, all worked :lol:
New cars 'can be broken into in 10 seconds' New cars 'can be broken into in 10 seconds'
Being a tight old codger means that I don’t have a new car, but if I did I would be very worried about this.
I'd be more worried about your house, very surprised the scum bags up here arn't up to this yet, Darren Bents motors got knicked after they got into his house this way iirc

Last edited:
I know what an ANPR camera is, I’m not sure why you’re going on about them.

When Vodafone or Porsche call them to tell them this is where the car is, this is who it belongs to and this is where it was taken from, what does ANPR have to do with it.

For what it’s worth, you’re probably right in some cases, given police resources but I have no interest in worrying about whether the police will pick it up, I’ll leave that to the insurance company to sort out with them. Either it’s a payout for the value of the vehicle or they save themselves some money and go and collect it however they want to. I’d prefer not to have it back if it’s stolen to be honest. Just give me the money and I’ll buy a replacement.

:lol::lol::lol: wondered when this would slip out!

I was talking about ANPR and the police. In very clear paragraphs.

:lol::lol::lol: wondered when this would slip out!

I was talking about ANPR and the police. In very clear paragraphs.

You seem a bit odd. If I recall correctly, you first mentioned a manufacturer, BMW. As the conversation progressed and you keep talking inexplicably about ANPR, I thought I’d offer a little more detail to try and shake you from your ANPR fixation.

I’ll repeat for you. I don’t know what ANPR, which you keep talking about, has to do with a tracking system operated by Vodafone and the vehicle manufacturer that locates a stolen vehicle and through the insurance company, arranged recovery of the vehicle.

Have you only recently learned about ANPR or something?

Last edited:
You seem a bit odd. If I recall correctly, you first mentioned a manufacturer, BMW. As the conversation progressed and you keep talking inexplicably about ANPR, I thought I’d offer a little more detail to try and shake you from your ANPR fixation.

I’ll repeat for you. I don’t know what ANPR, which you keep talking about, has to do with a tracking system operated by Vodafone and the vehicle manufacturer that locates a stolen vehicle and through the insurance company, arranged recovery of the vehicle.

Have you only recently learned about ANPR or something?

How's the Porsche? Surprised it took you so long.

You seem a bit dim to be fair.

Just put your key fob in a tin & it works, we use a tin with a lid, tested it with the tin in the car, car wouldn't start, took the keys out of the tin, car started , there's a video on YouTube with some bloke testing beer & pop cans with the tops cut off, all worked :lol:

I'd be more worried about your house, very surprised the scum bags up here arn't up to this yet, Darren Bents motors got knicked after they got into his house this way iirc
Used to go out regular with locksmiths. Absolutely terrifying how easy it is to get through front doors. Cheap euro locks can be picked in seconds nevermind snapping the barrel. Yales are scary too piece of plastic and a few seconds and your in. Surprisingly old fashioned locks always took the longest.

Back