€13m Sunderland bid for Sow rejected

Status
Not open for further replies.

If that's what we're paying and we have a good season on the back of his goals it pays for itself. It's the 2015/16 season after all, top Championship strikers in the last few seasons have gone for £11m and maybe more on Rhodes. Ideally we'd sign someone young and his value would increase, but the likelihood is if he has even one decent season someone else will come in and take him anyway. Maybe signing some actual quality for once will see us progress and attract more talent, or improve ones already here. Can't always think of resale fees.

What if he's really f***ing good?
What if he isn't? He never played at this level. We could end up with another 29 year old flop on a 4-5 year contract on big wages. We already have 30 and 33 year old strikers, plus Fletcher who looks like 35.

How good is he? Good goalscoring record. Question marks over his age. But there's been some class strikers at 29 who have thrived in the PL. Next three years could be his prime.

What if he isn't? He never played at this level. We could end up with another 29 year old flop on a 4-5 year contract on big wages. We already have 30 and 33 year old strikers, plus Fletcher who looks like 35.
We might sign a player who's played and performed in the PL and it might not work out for him here too. Every signing is a risk. I know nothing about this Sow fella, but if he's the one that's been identified by Dick as the one he wants then I'm happy to trust his judgement. Not fancying him because he plays in Turkey and is 29 is daft IMO. There's a whole wide world of players out there. Just because they haven't played in the PL doesn't mean they couldn't. And at 29, it wouldn't be an impossibility to get at least three good seasons from him. That would be an improvement on every striker we've had since our return to the PL.

We might sign a player who's played and performed in the PL and it might not work out for him here too. Every signing is a risk. I know nothing about this Sow fella, but if he's the one that's been identified by Dick as the one he wants then I'm happy to trust his judgement. Not fancying him because he plays in Turkey and is 29 is daft IMO. There's a whole wide world of players out there. Just because they haven't played in the PL doesn't mean they couldn't. And at 29, it wouldn't be an impossibility to get at least three good seasons from him. That would be an improvement on every striker we've had since our return to the PL.
I'm not a fan of the resale value argument, but we can't fill the squad with 29-32 players on big wages and 10m+ is madness in this case, especially with the FFP rules.

I'm not a fan of the resale value argument, but we can't fill the squad with 29-32 players on big wages and 10m+ is madness in this case, especially with the FFP rules.
I wasn't trying to turn it into a resale debate. All I'm interested in is getting better players. Of course they have to prove value for money too. If he was an important first teamer for three seasons then we would have made a good signing. All guesswork of course.

I'm not a fan of the resale value argument, bu
t we can't fill the squad with 29-32 players on big wages and 10m+ is madness in this case, especially with the FFP rules.

Realistically though we'd have Pants at 28 coming into his prime. Kaboul at 29 going on 30 an area where he should be reliable if fit and Coates at 24, whilst phasing out O'Shea (34) and Brown (35 1 year deal). Around those we have Van Aarnholt 24, Jones 28 and Matthews added to bring the ages down at 23.

In midfield we've added Lens 27, Johnson (maybe) 28, Cattermole 27, Larsson 30, Rodwell 24, Bridcutt 26, Giaccherini 30, Gomez 30, Buckley 25. We also may be adding to this area and losing one or two.

Fletcher 28, Graham 30 in August, Defoe 33 October.

Adding to that we have Mannone 27, but are adding Pickford, Watmore and Beadling who are relatively young.

We're naturally going to lose Brown for nothing at the end of the season and unless we move them on now, also Fletcher and Graham will go too, possibly one or two more I forget. Large wages will be freed up at the end of the season regardless.

I don't see any problem with adding one or two players at 29/30 to that squad if they're going to give us good reliable performances. That will have a beneficial effect on league placings, income and maybe help bring others in or on. Regardless of age whoever comes in has to perform, so if they're 29 so be it.

Realistically though we'd have Pants at 28 coming into his prime. Kaboul at 29 going on 30 an area where he should be reliable and Coates at 24, whilst phasing out O'Shea (34) and Brown (35 1 year deal). Around those we have Van Aarnholt 24, Jones 28 and Matthews added to bring the ages down at 23.

In midfield we've added Lens 27, Johnson (maybe) 28, Cattermole 27, Larsson 30, Rodwell 24, Bridcutt 26, Giaccherini 30, Gomez 30, Buckley 25. We also may be adding to this area and losing one or two.

Fletcher 28, Graham 30 in August, Defoe 33 October.

Adding to that we have Mannone 27, but are adding Pickford, Watmore and Beadling who are relatively young.

We're naturally going to lose Brown for nothing at the end of the season and unless we move them on now, also Fletcher and Graham will go too, possibly one or two more I forget. I don't see any problem with adding one or two players at 29/30 to that squad if they're going to give us good reliable performances. That will have a beneficial effect on league placings, income and maybe help bring others in or on. Regardless of age whoever comes in has to perform, so if they're 29 so be it.

Sow 29
Graham 30
Defoe 33
Fletcher 28

Sow for 10m-15m? That would be a panic buy and proof that we don't have a long term plan or more targets indentified. I'm pretty sure we won't pay that for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back