› UK Plastic bag charge to be doubled to 10p in all shops across England

Silly now this how shops can profit from this. Thought it was brought in for the environment. Are retailers putting the money back into solving plastic polution? Doubt it

Silly now this how shops can profit from this. Thought it was brought in for the environment. Are retailers putting the money back into solving plastic polution? Doubt it
That was the intention of it. The money is supposed to go into charity's, bet if they investigated it, they might be shocked.

The 5p on the single use bags goes to charity, as the 'bags for life' are multi use the 10p or whatever for these does not.
Notice which bags the supermarkets no longer provide? That is why the number of single use bags had declined, you can't get them any more.

McDonalds charge you for a bag to put your food in.

Made the mistake of not ordering a bag the other week and got my food on a tray even though it was takeaway. Bizarre.

Plus paper bags were supposed to be exempt. I assume McDonalds are profiteering from it.

The 5p on the single use bags goes to charity, as the 'bags for life' are multi use the 10p or whatever for these does not.
Notice which bags the supermarkets no longer provide? That is why the number of single use bags had declined, you can't get them any more.
Are the ones in supermarkets (Sainsbury’s orange ones which are the size of a postage stamp but thicker for example) not classed as single use?

Made the mistake of not ordering a bag the other week and got my food on a tray even though it was takeaway. Bizarre.

Plus paper bags were supposed to be exempt. I assume McDonalds are profiteering from it.

Are the ones in supermarkets (Sainsbury’s orange ones which are the size of a postage stamp but thicker for example) not classed as single use?
Not sure on Sainsbury, but Tesco Morrisons and Asda don't offer single use bags as standard now.

Why? :lol:it's not plastic ffs.
Honestly, greedy profiteering bastards

It has made a difference outside. I've noticed less carrier bags in trees and bushes since the charge came in.
There's still cans, bottles, crisp packets and fag boxes hoyed in the bushes and trees though.
This country is scruffy as fuck in that respect.

Primark paper bags are free. I thought McDonald's were too.
And that paper is definitely recyclable, so why are they charging for?

Last edited:
Why? :lol:it's not plastic ffs.
Honestly, greedy profiteering bastards

There's still cans, bottles, crisp packets and fag boxes hoyed in the bushes and trees though.

And that paper is definitely recyclable, so why are they charging for?
You see more McDonalds paper bags full of shite discarded in the hedgerows than anything else. There should be a scratter tax on everything they sell to pay for the cleaning up.

Oh I know. And used dog poo bags thrown up into the branches :neutral:

You see more McDonalds paper bags full of shite discarded in the hedgerows than anything else. There should be a scratter tax on everything they sell to pay for the cleaning up.

There's a lane near mine and the hedgerow is always full of McDonalds bags. It's about ten minutes drive away from the Drive Thru so I assume that's how long it takes people to scran their food and lob the packaging out the window :neutral:

Do people not think that it's wrong when they're doing this?

No respect for themselves, the environment, or the wildlife...

Oh I know. And used dog poo bags thrown up into the branches :neutral:

There's a lane near mine and the hedgerow is always full of McDonalds bags. It's about ten minutes drive away from the Drive Thru so I assume that's how long it takes people to scran their food and lob the packaging out the window :neutral:
Does this happen in every other country, or is it just here that we treat our country like a bin?

Does this happen in every other country, or is it just here that we treat our country like a bin?

I was in a submarine off Lanzarote earlier this year and was disappointed to see plastic bottles and packaging littering the sea bed :(

Back