1. The forums are temporarily closed for new registrations
    We expect to re-open for new users towards the end of July.
    Dismiss Notice

› UK Plastic bag charge to be doubled to 10p in all shops across England

Discussion in 'SMB' started by steve30000, Dec 27, 2018.

1. steve30000

steve30000 Striker

2. BlackOps

BlackOps Winger

Silly now this how shops can profit from this. Thought it was brought in for the environment. Are retailers putting the money back into solving plastic polution? Doubt it

safcforever likes this.
  3. steve30000

steve30000 Striker

That was the intention of it. The money is supposed to go into charity's, bet if they investigated it, they might be shocked.

4. Hugh Gains

Hugh Gains Winger

Just another tax

5. The Resource

The Resource Central Defender

The 5p on the single use bags goes to charity, as the 'bags for life' are multi use the 10p or whatever for these does not.
    Notice which bags the supermarkets no longer provide? That is why the number of single use bags had declined, you can't get them any more.

6. Goat Eyes

Goat Eyes Striker

McDonalds charge you for a bag to put your food in.

Made the mistake of not ordering a bag the other week and got my food on a tray even though it was takeaway. Bizarre.

Plus paper bags were supposed to be exempt. I assume McDonalds are profiteering from it.

Are the ones in supermarkets (Sainsbury’s orange ones which are the size of a postage stamp but thicker for example) not classed as single use?

7. The Resource

The Resource Central Defender

Not sure on Sainsbury, but Tesco Morrisons and Asda don't offer single use bags as standard now.

Dredd likes this.
  8. It has made a difference outside. I've noticed less carrier bags in trees and bushes since the charge came in.

Arkle, Epping and Vinyl Score like this.
  9. HABA87

HABA87 Winger

Primark paper bags are free. I thought McDonald's were too.

10. Goat Eyes

Goat Eyes Striker

That’s how it should be so goodness knows what McDonalds do with their 5p.

11. steve30000

steve30000 Striker

Why? :lol:it's not plastic ffs.
    Honestly, greedy profiteering bastards

There's still cans, bottles, crisp packets and fag boxes hoyed in the bushes and trees though.
    This country is scruffy as fuck in that respect.

And that paper is definitely recyclable, so why are they charging for?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    Goat Eyes likes this.
  12. Old Prestonian

Old Prestonian Striker

You see more McDonalds paper bags full of shite discarded in the hedgerows than anything else. There should be a scratter tax on everything they sell to pay for the cleaning up.

Makem57 likes this.
  13. Oh I know. And used dog poo bags thrown up into the branches :neutral:

There's a lane near mine and the hedgerow is always full of McDonalds bags. It's about ten minutes drive away from the Drive Thru so I assume that's how long it takes people to scran their food and lob the packaging out the window :neutral:

14. steve30000

steve30000 Striker

Do people not think that it's wrong when they're doing this?

No respect for themselves, the environment, or the wildlife...

Boz33 likes this.
  15. Alan BStard

Alan BStard Striker

*fewer* js. :D

16. steve30000

steve30000 Striker

Does this happen in every other country, or is it just here that we treat our country like a bin?

17. I was in a submarine off Lanzarote earlier this year and was disappointed to see plastic bottles and packaging littering the sea bed :(

18. spitfire

spitfire Striker

Less plastic bags blowing around the SOL after 75 minutes.

19. japs

japs Striker

It won't, needs to be 50p or a pound imo...as I rarely remember or know in advance that I'm off to the shops. Hope delivery each week costs 40p and.must get 20 bags minimum. Total waste, but can't be bothered to carry loose items across my living room etc. Wish they would use re-usaboe bags that we paid a deposit for or something....total pain.

20. Gingga

Gingga Winger