•••the first goal•••

Status
Not open for further replies.
How I see it:-
The ref stopped play for the quick free kick by Turner, which now indicates play to the whistle. As in any direct or indirect free kick when the ref stops play.

The ref now runs away to get an advatage position ready for the free kick to be launched into Liverpools box.

As the ref turns away, Turner gestures to Mig to come and take it. He then casually back heels to him, not expecting any Liverpool to be so unsporting.

To me the Ref is NOT at Fault, however the linesman was. He would have seen the back pass was noy an intended start to the play. Also as the ref had stopped play then start of play has to be after the refs whistle or the refs acknowledges to start play, as he was running into postion this did not happen.

The linsman should have flagged and stopped play as soon as a Liverpool player approched the ball, as the ref had not indicated by whistle or gesture to start play after he stopped it for the quick free kick.

Last edited:

Dude you are off your nut.

It wasn't unsporting. Torres looked to see what the referee was wanting then played on.

He gets paid to do a job, which he correctly did.

The only one to blame here is Michael Turner for being a dumbass.

How are you people so blind to see what is correct and what is deemed as fair in your head?

If it was the other way around do you think you'd be like I wish DB hadn't scored that goal. Doesn't matter that it cost us 60Million quid.

Michael Turner did nothoing there that a centre half hasnt done in every game of football since you were born. The differeence being that Torres decided to take advantage of that situation and the referee let him.

Sorry like but after watching it this morning, Dave Bassett was bang on with his analysis.

Turner initially took the free kick but the ref blew and told him to take it from about 5 yards further back(where the ref was standing). The ref then went on his way and turned his back while Turner was in the the correct position to take the kick from. Turner then kicked the ball back to Mignolet, and when the ref turned round he saw that the free kick had been taken.

It was careless by Turner and Torres was switched on and made us pay.

Turner should not have touched the ball as he'd already gestured to the keeper to take it and Turner should not be kicking the ball like a retard any way.

Whether you like Torres or not, he wasnt in the wrong yesterday.

Sorry like but after watching it this morning, Dave Bassett was bang on with his analysis.

Turner initially took the free kick but the ref blew and told him to take it from about 5 yards further back(where the ref was standing). The ref then went on his way and turned his back while Turner was in the the correct position to take the kick from. Turner then kicked the ball back to Mignolet, and when the ref turned round he saw that the free kick had been taken.

Turner should not have touched the ball as he'd already gestured to the keeper to take it and Turner should not be kicking the ball like a retard any way.

Whether you like Torres or not, he wasnt in the wrong yesterday.

He was if you believe in sportsmanship and fair play. He knew Turner hadn't taken the free kick. Contrast what Torres did to what Di Canio did a few years ago when he caught the ball rather than score a goal.

The entire game is unsporting man there are about a handful of real player in the entire league. How do you not get this?

And I still don't understand how playing by the rules of the game is unsporting?

http://www.footytube.com/video/liverpool-sunderland-sep25-57380

2minutes and 26 seconds exactly, referee is looking when he kicks it.

So, do you think it would unsporting not to throw the ball back to opposition if they put the ball out of play when a players injurred? That's not in the rules either I believe. I think the main thing here is intent - if Torres truly believed Turner had taken that free-kick I would see no issue with Torres' actions but I think it was pretty obvious he knew fine well what Turner intended. And for the recrod, if we took advantage of something similar I'd be disgusted too. I honestly don't want us to prosper by becoming cheats.

+1
Torres cheated and should be slated in the press imo...fuck the idiot ref or linesman,... Turner done nowt wrong look at his body language ffs... i reckon none of his team mates or Bruce were pointing the finger at him at half time either and that says it all really ...instead i imagine there was cries of "lets show this cheating twat" and showed great character ..

Turner fucked up - move on accept it. Karma for the beach ball.

The moment he moved the dead ball with his foot he was fucked. The ball was active. Players don't have to be ten yards to take a free kick you don't necessarily ned to wait for the whistle once the free kick has been awarded - there's a myriad of cases of the 'quick free kick' being taken.

Why didn't Turner bend down and move the ball with his hand? Just think of the confusion it would have saved.

The moment he moved the dead ball with his foot he was fucked. The ball was active. Players don't have to be ten yards to take a free kick you don't necessarily ned to wait for the whistle once the free kick has been awarded - there's a myriad of cases of the 'quick free kick' being taken.

Why didn't Turner bend down and move the ball with his hand? Just think of the confusion it would have saved.

Common Sense should have prevailed and the linesman was the main one at fault as the ref did not even see Turner passing the ball back. Obvious to everyone what Turner was doing and the linesman should have been big enough to rule out the goal. Not a chance of that happening though at Anfield.

We tried to take the quick free quick but because Liverpool were not ready the ref was picky about moving it 3 yards back.

Yes they do.

With a 'quick free kick' the opposition players are infringing, but the ref plays advantage.

Vanquish please stop posting shit on this thread. The goal was clearly bad sportmanship by Torres. As most people with common sense have pointed out, turner was flicking the ball back for Mignolet to come out and take the free kick. I imagine you have never played the game before as you say by the rules Torres has done nothing wrong.

In that case, every time a player picks the ball up to take a throw in, then another player comes to take it and he throws it to him, should the ref blow up and give a foul throw? In some situations common sense should prevail, unfortunately for us it didn't yesterday.

Watch the replay - the ref wasn't even looking when Turner tapped it back

the thing that irks me about it is this - i realise there are rules to the letter of the book but there are also ethics - we has won a free kick because of a very poor, possibly bookable challenge on Bramble - therefore the aim of the award of the free kick is to give us back the advantage. The decision of the ref, and on this occasion i equally blame the linesman and fourth official as the ref didn't see what happened (though watching the game is an advantage for a ref i find), actually made it appear the intention was to give the advantage to liverpool. It should not have counted - i don't blame the Liverpool players - Torres was looking and waiting for the ref to blow but he didn't so he carried on - he looked unsure himself of what was going on. It was naive on our part i think, but they really should have disallowed it in keeping with the ethic of the game. Liverpool got the advantage of very near injuring a player and a were rewarded with a goal

He was if you believe in sportsmanship and fair play. He knew Turner hadn't taken the free kick. Contrast what Torres did to what Di Canio did a few years ago when he caught the ball rather than score a goal.

he would booked for handball if he done that now ....the way these refs are.

End of the day, forget that goal, it probably spurred us on a bit to be fair. What pisses me of are the decisions the ref got wrong which are not debatable ones.
Gerrards elbow on Welbeck. If the ref has seen it, he has to give a red card. If he thinks it was accidental, then no card. Simple enough.
Stonewall penalty denied 2 mins before Bents second goal, the ref bottled giving 2 penalties to us at Anfield.
Skrtel being allowed to remain on the pitch after his treatment (he was only allowed to be treated on the pitch because carragher was off) even if you are generous and say that it was a head injury so treatment is allowed on the pitch, why was he not asked to leave the pitch after treatment was completed.

In my opinion, the ref has been very fortunate with the Turner free-kick incident, as it was one which the FA could defrend, and such a major one that the other terrible decisions in the game can be swept under the carpet.

why did he give a fuckin free kick anyway in our half when titus cleared to our player,our player had the ball in there half its supposed to be our advantage for fuck sake and they ended up scoring off it

whether you like TURNER on not he done nothing wrong

I'd go further and say the likes of Torres should be brought up for gross misconduct.:) Are there no gentlemen in the game any more ffs? Tut,tut. I forgot about football as a genuine, pure sport at least twenty years ago. Cheating has been positively encouraged by both the people running the game and those taking part for at least as long. Nor do the media pundits do much to stamp it out. Go with the flow or pursue another interest.

its f***ing nuts like the refs just totally guesed whats happened, it happenes every week man you see them roll it like that wonder if he picked it up would he have give hand ball

At fault..............

1. Turner for not waiting for SM to come out before carelessly pushing the ball in his direction. He created the confusion by not making his intentions clear. He's a professional, he knows you don't leave those things to chance. Reminded me of the carry-on with Fabianski & \Campbell in the Champions league for Arsenal last year.

2. Torres for showing unsporting behaviour. Cheap opportunism that sparked the controversy. We should expect better from a player at that level. Remember the slaughtering Marc Overmars got for playing on at Highbury in the FA cup v Sheff Utd?

3. Attwell for allowing play to continue when he had neither indicated a restart, nor seen the freekick being taken. Ultimately, he carries the can and should be taken off refereeing in any of the professional leagues until he learns his trade to a satisfactory standard. So many controversial decisons in such a short space of time is no coincidence. He was panicking when surrounded by SAFC players yesterday. Inept.

4. The linesman for not spotting the obvious and assisting an error-prone ref. Again, a spell back in the Sunday leagues might encourage paying attention to the task.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back