“Tidal wave of sound” – Roker Park 1976

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palace fans remembering their visit to Roker:

“Sunderland? God that was terrifying. We were on one of the trains that got through late and the police had allowed the home fans into our alloted space in one of the ends. There were Palace in the side terrace almost next to the home end who seemed to suffer badly. I recall little of the game but more about trying to remain on my feet tightly packed amongst Sunderland fans and resisting saying a word, and travelling home on a windowless train. But do remember the goal and the feeling that our victory here was inevitable.”

“Yeah, I was on one of the late trains and in the side terrace next to the home end. When we scored the Sunderland 'fans' came over the top like troops over the trenches. it was mayhem. Left the ground a few minutes before the final whistle for my own safety, only to be met by a few hundred Sunderland outside. Thank God I didn’t wear my colours that day. Blinds down on the train to ensure damage limitation from the bricks which were thrown. Still a great day though.”

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38059

Palace fans remembering their visit to Roker:

“Sunderland? God that was terrifying. We were on one of the trains that got through late and the police had allowed the home fans into our alloted space in one of the ends. There were Palace in the side terrace almost next to the home end who seemed to suffer badly. I recall little of the game but more about trying to remain on my feet tightly packed amongst Sunderland fans and resisting saying a word, and travelling home on a windowless train. But do remember the goal and the feeling that our victory here was inevitable.”

“Yeah, I was on one of the late trains and in the side terrace next to the home end. When we scored the Sunderland 'fans' came over the top like troops over the trenches. it was mayhem. Left the ground a few minutes before the final whistle for my own safety, only to be met by a few hundred Sunderland outside. Thank God I didn’t wear my colours that day. Blinds down on the train to ensure damage limitation from the bricks which were thrown. Still a great day though.”

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38059

a few questioned me at the time but this backs up my post a few months ago when i said palace where in the fulwell side of the mainstand paddock.
at least i hope they were palace as we climbed over the fence and got stuck into them anyway.:lol:
they did get a hard time in there and i do remember some sunderland already in there with them.
i know most of what happened as i was personally involved but the above post and late train kind of clarifies a few vague areas of the story and how events unfolded.

a few questioned me at the time but this backs up my post a few months ago when i said palace where in the fulwell side of the mainstand paddock.
at least i hope they were palace as we climbed over the fence and got stuck into them anyway.:lol:
they did get a hard time in there and i do remember some sunderland already in there with them.
i know most of what happened as i was personally involved but the above post and late train kind of clarifies a few vague areas of the story and how events unfolded.

How very strange your recollection of the Millwall replay.I normally stood on the Holmesdale , but was in the Old stand Whitehorse lane end. I think going back through the mists of time thst the crowd for the Holmesdale was enormous so we did a bunk down the other end,that and being a coward I was trying to avoid the neaderthals from New Cross.
Doc Savage your memory of the Sunderland game says it all. Everyone at that game has virtually the same recollections. Got into a punch up with a few of my mates on the way to the station.We put the tossers to flight then got grabbed by the law. If it had not been for the intercession of some older Sunderland fans who told the copper we were only defending ourselves after being jumped we would have ended up in a Weirside nick and missed being bombareded on the train home.

Sounds like they gave yous the run around like

How very strange your recollection of the Millwall replay.I normally stood on the Holmesdale , but was in the Old stand Whitehorse lane end. I think going back through the mists of time thst the crowd for the Holmesdale was enormous so we did a bunk down the other end,that and being a coward I was trying to avoid the neaderthals from New Cross.
Doc Savage your memory of the Sunderland game says it all. Everyone at that game has virtually the same recollections. Got into a punch up with a few of my mates on the way to the station.We put the tossers to flight then got grabbed by the law. If it had not been for the intercession of some older Sunderland fans who told the copper we were only defending ourselves after being jumped we would have ended up in a Weirside nick and missed being bombareded on the train home.

Sounds like they gave yous the run around like

palace got battered left right and f**king centre that day.
be in absolutely no doubt there wasn't anywhere that palace came out on top, not even in a f**king scuffle. that might sound like a very bold statement but they had nowhere to hide. it was an impossible situation for them and i'm glad we didn't go over the top.
reading that palace forum they said we were worse than leeds and chelsea. most said they were terrified before, during and after the game.

the worst trouble was in the mainstand car park area. it only stopped out of mercy.
i saw some getting dragged out of cars near the wheatsheaf roundabout and i also seem to remember some getting battered on a petrol station forecourt.

The one goal I can clearly remember Mel Holden score , glanced it past everyone at the near post Fulwell end. Motor neurone disease at the age of 27?, what a sad loss.

Great season that though. The Bolton game on the Easter Monday was one of my favourite ever SAFC games.

Season review taken for a website I found:

By the 1975/76 season Sunderland fans craved top flight football, and they would be rewarded. Top spot was the reward as Sunderland remained unbeaten at their beloved Roker Park, with 19 wins and 2 draws. Strangely enough the dropped points came in 1 v 1 draws with the Bristol teams. Crowds were up and a couple of massive attendances were witnessed. More of that later. Sunderland amassed 56 points the best since promotion in 1963/64.

The season started with 4 victories, 3 at home, scoring 10 goals in the process. No defeats until 18 October at bogey ground Eastville. In November a set back. Sunderland travelled to the Valley and Billy Hughes broke his leg. He would be sidelined for 4 months, by which time he had well and truly lost his place. The only real reverse of any note was at yet another bogey ground; Southampton, where we suffered a 0 v 4 hiding.

By the turn of the year Sunderland were flying and the last 18 games would produce only 4 defeats, and one of them was with promotion secured. Promotion was secured on the 40th game of the season, The Easter Monday clash with Bolton Wanderers. The game attracted 51,983 supporters and the weather was beautiful, in fact everything was perfect...almost.

With Bolton including a very young Peter Reid, he who would go on to manage Sunderland some 20 years later, Wanderers came for a game. Towers and Robson gave the Lads a 2 v 0 victory before Wanderers pulled one back. It was nail biting stuff, and when Monty was injured in the second half at the Roker end there was a hush. All was well, we hung on, Monty was ok and we were up. The scenes were as you would expect awesome.

The last game of the season clinched the championship trophy with a 2 v 0 defeat of Portsmouth. Joe Bolton having his shooting boots on that day scored a rasper. The average crowd was nearly 33,000, easily the best in the division by some 12,000. If anyone deserved promotion then it was the famous Roker roar, they had been magnificent.

The FA Cup had provided highlights and big crowds as well.

It all started fairly tamely with 2 home victories over Oldham and hull city. We crept into the 5th round and faced Stoke City at the Victoria Ground. With 41,176 at the Potteries, including a massive contingent from Wearside an exciting 1 v 1 draw was witnessed and the Roker Park replay eagerly anticipated, at least by Sunderland! A stunning 47, 583 turned up to will the lads onto a 2 v 1 victory and the right to play 3rd division Crystal Palace in the last 8. With Newcastle United playing at Derby County that day there was every chance of a north East semi final but alas it wasn’t to be, as both went out.

The game on Wearside saw Malcolm Allison the Eagles Manager come out before the game to wind the Sunderland fans up. Unfortunately for him his Fedora hat was dislodged by an exuberant fan at the Fulwell end. Still with a Gypsies good luck message carried from round 3 Palace needn’t have worried. An Alan Whittle goal settled a tense affair in front of 50,850. Bob Moncur, as if to emphasise The Eagles good luck saw a shot rebound back off the woodwork.

The combined attendances for the 4 FA cup games were almost 160,000; incredible.
My youngest son remembers the Bolton game as the names on his birth certificate is the team that played that day Montgomery.Malone Bolton,Train,Ashurst,Moncur,Kerr,Hughes,Holden,,Robson,and Greenwood not enough room on the certificate for the subs that day.

Anybody at the Palacs cup game? Must have been gutting to lose a quarter final home tie to a third division team given our home record that season.:neutral:

This game was the first 'crushing' defeat I can remember. You know the type that leaves you feeling physically sick afterwards. I think because of 1973 everyone was convinced that we would win that game, especially as we were at home.

Can't remember much about the game. I can remember Big Mal getting a reaction after parading around like a tit and I can remember asking my dad where the Palace fans were. We were expecting loads but couldn't see any in the usual spot in the Roker End. Having read the Palace accounts, seems like they were all over the shop. Palace must have thought their name was on the cup that year, so losing to Southampton in the semi must have been tough to take. 'Crushing' in fact.

Great game, Stoke were doing well in the top flight at the time and we deserved to win.
On the back of that win I could see us doing well when we got promoted, as usual it didn't go that way:cry:

I was at both the Stoke away games in '76.

In the cup game we were in the open air seats as the stand had just had a recent fire and the roof was later removed. After the game we witnessed a couple of our lot snap the barrier at the railway station car park in order to get their car out. That was the only bother I saw that day.

Six months or so later it was wall to wall bother with lots of confusion as both sets of fans wore the same colour scarves. I think that has been well documented in other threads.

Which paper was the article from. The form of English used in the report appears very dated when compared to most current football reporting.

It’s from The Times.

Apologies for the delay in replying to your question.

Longhorn? I stand corrected.

Derby game. Afternoon fixture due to power cuts? If not what game am I thinking about?

The Derby replays were evening games. I never went to any of the midweek afternoon games so can’t really help – although they should be pretty easy to identify on Stat Cat as they will be the ones where the attendance suddenly plummets.

Great season that though. The Bolton game on the Easter Monday was one of my favourite ever SAFC games.

Season review taken for a website I found:

By the 1975/76 season Sunderland fans craved top flight football, and they would be rewarded. Top spot was the reward as Sunderland remained unbeaten at their beloved Roker Park, with 19 wins and 2 draws. Strangely enough the dropped points came in 1 v 1 draws with the Bristol teams. Crowds were up and a couple of massive attendances were witnessed. More of that later. Sunderland amassed 56 points the best since promotion in 1963/64.

The season started with 4 victories, 3 at home, scoring 10 goals in the process. No defeats until 18 October at bogey ground Eastville. In November a set back. Sunderland travelled to the Valley and Billy Hughes broke his leg. He would be sidelined for 4 months, by which time he had well and truly lost his place. The only real reverse of any note was at yet another bogey ground; Southampton, where we suffered a 0 v 4 hiding.

By the turn of the year Sunderland were flying and the last 18 games would produce only 4 defeats, and one of them was with promotion secured. Promotion was secured on the 40th game of the season, The Easter Monday clash with Bolton Wanderers. The game attracted 51,983 supporters and the weather was beautiful, in fact everything was perfect...almost.

With Bolton including a very young Peter Reid, he who would go on to manage Sunderland some 20 years later, Wanderers came for a game. Towers and Robson gave the Lads a 2 v 0 victory before Wanderers pulled one back. It was nail biting stuff, and when Monty was injured in the second half at the Roker end there was a hush. All was well, we hung on, Monty was ok and we were up. The scenes were as you would expect awesome.

The last game of the season clinched the championship trophy with a 2 v 0 defeat of Portsmouth. Joe Bolton having his shooting boots on that day scored a rasper. The average crowd was nearly 33,000, easily the best in the division by some 12,000. If anyone deserved promotion then it was the famous Roker roar, they had been magnificent.

The FA Cup had provided highlights and big crowds as well.

It all started fairly tamely with 2 home victories over Oldham and hull city. We crept into the 5th round and faced Stoke City at the Victoria Ground. With 41,176 at the Potteries, including a massive contingent from Wearside an exciting 1 v 1 draw was witnessed and the Roker Park replay eagerly anticipated, at least by Sunderland! A stunning 47, 583 turned up to will the lads onto a 2 v 1 victory and the right to play 3rd division Crystal Palace in the last 8. With Newcastle United playing at Derby County that day there was every chance of a north East semi final but alas it wasn’t to be, as both went out.

The game on Wearside saw Malcolm Allison the Eagles Manager come out before the game to wind the Sunderland fans up. Unfortunately for him his Fedora hat was dislodged by an exuberant fan at the Fulwell end. Still with a Gypsies good luck message carried from round 3 Palace needn’t have worried. An Alan Whittle goal settled a tense affair in front of 50,850. Bob Moncur, as if to emphasise The Eagles good luck saw a shot rebound back off the woodwork.

The combined attendances for the 4 FA cup games were almost 160,000; incredible.

Don't know where that came from but I don’t recall an ‘exciting 1-1 draw' at Stoke…

14th of February isnt in this week.

I remember going down with my Dad and Grandad, I dont think my Grandad ever went to a match before or after. Come to think of it, I dont remember him at the match, think he just stayed in the pub

Hutch lad, you’re the last one on here I would have had down as pedantic :lol:

The original cuttings and subject of the thread was the replay played on Tuesday 17 Feb. I started the thread on Thursday 21 Feb. I was going to start it sooner but didn’t get round to uploading the cuttings until then. My opening line of ‘37 years ago this week’ was really just to give an excuse for posting the ‘Shipyard Hammers’ cutting.

Anybody at the Palacs cup game? Must have been gutting to lose a quarter final home tie to a third division team given our home record that season.:neutral:

Still the biggest disappointment of my Sunderland supporting life...

I was at both the Stoke away games in '76.

In the cup game we were in the open air seats as the stand had just had a recent fire and the roof was later removed. After the game we witnessed a couple of our lot snap the barrier at the railway station car park in order to get their car out. That was the only bother I saw that day.

Six months or so later it was wall to wall bother with lots of confusion as both sets of fans wore the same colour scarves. I think that has been well documented in other threads.

Those red, white and black bar scarves always caused confusion when we played Man Utd in those days as they wore the exact same ones...

My youngest son remembers the Bolton game as the names on his birth certificate is the team that played that day Montgomery.Malone Bolton,Train,Ashurst,Moncur,Kerr,Hughes,Holden,,Robson,and Greenwood not enough room on the certificate for the subs that day.

do you just call him pop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back