“Tidal wave of sound” – Roker Park 1976

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't think the palace fans enjoyed their big day.
it was the first (and only?) time away fans were put in the fulwell side of the mainstand paddock. people climbed over the fence and got stuck straight into them.
the biggest kicking they got was outside the main stand amongst the parked cars.
for some reason i seem to remember a few of them getting a good hiding near the big roundabout next to the wheatsheaf. i have a vision of them getting pasted on a petrol station forecourt but i can't remember one around there. i didn't usually go that way home so i can't remember why i was even there.
I'm sure that one of their trains turned up late. That Xmas I was bought Brian Moore's football annual and it had a two page account of their day. Other than winning I dont think they enjoyed the day much. :lol:

Mind he did the job for Palace. Took all the pressure off his team and put in on himself.

Or maybe it wasn't tactics, just that he was such a big headed bugger he wanted all the attention.

Whatever..it worked.
I'm sure that there was some story of a gypsy that Allison had hired to give the team good luck. When they beat Sunderland he denied that the old witch had owt to do with where they ended up and she promptly put a curse on them. They lost in the SF to Southampton.

...I was at the away game as well - we all thought Alan Hudson might tear us to shreds but it never happened (we all thought that about Eddie Gray at Wembley 3 years before and we know what happened there!)

Stoke were not the most welcoming fans around........T***s!

Stoke fans remembering the first game at Stoke:

“The Sunderland fans were unbelievable that day. A second division club at the time and they came and swamped the place…”

“Yes they were, 12000 I seem to remember, out sung us all match.”

“Remember the coaches of Sunderland fans just coming and coming and coming. They were a second division team and I just never envisaged this invasion. I don't think I ever saw so many red and white scarves at Stoke in my whole life. You hoped they were Stokies but that little bit of black on the scarves told you they were not. I was 14 years old and the Sunderland contingent took my breath away that day and I knew, although I never admitted it, that our fans had a way to go to match that sort of passion. I can admit it now, it was truly humbling.”

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=history&action=display&thread=188211

Stoke fans remembering the first game at Stoke:

“The Sunderland fans were unbelievable that day. A second division club at the time and they came and swamped the place…”

“Yes they were, 12000 I seem to remember, out sung us all match.”

“Remember the coaches of Sunderland fans just coming and coming and coming. They were a second division team and I just never envisaged this invasion. I don't think I ever saw so many red and white scarves at Stoke in my whole life. You hoped they were Stokies but that little bit of black on the scarves told you they were not. I was 14 years old and the Sunderland contingent took my breath away that day and I knew, although I never admitted it, that our fans had a way to go to match that sort of passion. I can admit it now, it was truly humbling.”

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=history&action=display&thread=188211

Wigan Mudslide doesn't like this :-(

One of the few games I missed as was still in Hospital after being battered after the first game. Was with two mates one called Mad Eddie and walking back from the game, when about 300 Stoke Supporters came running towards us. The scarves were exactly the same and I said to my mates just keep walking towards them. Most have them had ran straight past when Mad Eddie smashed a bottle of the wall and said "come on you bastards". Got a right pasting.

One of the few games I missed as was still in Hospital after being battered after the first game. Was with two mates one called Mad Eddie and walking back from the game, when about 300 Stoke Supporters came running towards us. The scarves were exactly the same and I said to my mates just keep walking towards them. Most have them had ran straight past when Mad Eddie smashed a bottle of the wall and said "come on you bastards". Got a right pasting.

:lol: there's always a Mad eddie around when you least need him. I had a similar problem at leicester once when 2 of us got i.d. by their mob. My mates advice just walk straight through them, they don't know we are Sunderland. They knew:-(

I'm sure that one of their trains turned up late. That Xmas I was bought Brian Moore's football annual and it had a two page account of their day. Other than winning I dont think they enjoyed the day much. :lol:

I'm sure that there was some story of a gypsy that Allison had hired to give the team good luck. When they beat Sunderland he denied that the old witch had owt to do with where they ended up and she promptly put a curse on them. They lost in the SF to Southampton.

correct - it went to Seaham instead of Seaburn - I do some work with a Palace fan who was on it

:lol:

Great season that though. The Bolton game on the Easter Monday was one of my favourite ever SAFC games.

Season review taken for a website I found:

By the 1975/76 season Sunderland fans craved top flight football, and they would be rewarded. Top spot was the reward as Sunderland remained unbeaten at their beloved Roker Park, with 19 wins and 2 draws. Strangely enough the dropped points came in 1 v 1 draws with the Bristol teams. Crowds were up and a couple of massive attendances were witnessed. More of that later. Sunderland amassed 56 points the best since promotion in 1963/64.

The season started with 4 victories, 3 at home, scoring 10 goals in the process. No defeats until 18 October at bogey ground Eastville. In November a set back. Sunderland travelled to the Valley and Billy Hughes broke his leg. He would be sidelined for 4 months, by which time he had well and truly lost his place. The only real reverse of any note was at yet another bogey ground; Southampton, where we suffered a 0 v 4 hiding.

By the turn of the year Sunderland were flying and the last 18 games would produce only 4 defeats, and one of them was with promotion secured. Promotion was secured on the 40th game of the season, The Easter Monday clash with Bolton Wanderers. The game attracted 51,983 supporters and the weather was beautiful, in fact everything was perfect...almost.

With Bolton including a very young Peter Reid, he who would go on to manage Sunderland some 20 years later, Wanderers came for a game. Towers and Robson gave the Lads a 2 v 0 victory before Wanderers pulled one back. It was nail biting stuff, and when Monty was injured in the second half at the Roker end there was a hush. All was well, we hung on, Monty was ok and we were up. The scenes were as you would expect awesome.

The last game of the season clinched the championship trophy with a 2 v 0 defeat of Portsmouth. Joe Bolton having his shooting boots on that day scored a rasper. The average crowd was nearly 33,000, easily the best in the division by some 12,000. If anyone deserved promotion then it was the famous Roker roar, they had been magnificent.

The FA Cup had provided highlights and big crowds as well.

It all started fairly tamely with 2 home victories over Oldham and hull city. We crept into the 5th round and faced Stoke City at the Victoria Ground. With 41,176 at the Potteries, including a massive contingent from Wearside an exciting 1 v 1 draw was witnessed and the Roker Park replay eagerly anticipated, at least by Sunderland! A stunning 47, 583 turned up to will the lads onto a 2 v 1 victory and the right to play 3rd division Crystal Palace in the last 8. With Newcastle United playing at Derby County that day there was every chance of a north East semi final but alas it wasn’t to be, as both went out.

The game on Wearside saw Malcolm Allison the Eagles Manager come out before the game to wind the Sunderland fans up. Unfortunately for him his Fedora hat was dislodged by an exuberant fan at the Fulwell end. Still with a Gypsies good luck message carried from round 3 Palace needn’t have worried. An Alan Whittle goal settled a tense affair in front of 50,850. Bob Moncur, as if to emphasise The Eagles good luck saw a shot rebound back off the woodwork.

The combined attendances for the 4 FA cup games were almost 160,000; incredible.

Longhorn? I stand corrected.

Derby game. Afternoon fixture due to power cuts? If not what game am I thinking about?

The first replay might have been (power cuts being almost the theme of the 70s). The two teams tossed a coin to decide where the secobd replay would be played and we won. That was definitely played at nght.

Great season that though. The Bolton game on the Easter Monday was one of my favourite ever SAFC games.

Season review taken for a website I found:

By the 1975/76 season Sunderland fans craved top flight football, and they would be rewarded. Top spot was the reward as Sunderland remained unbeaten at their beloved Roker Park, with 19 wins and 2 draws. Strangely enough the dropped points came in 1 v 1 draws with the Bristol teams. Crowds were up and a couple of massive attendances were witnessed. More of that later. Sunderland amassed 56 points the best since promotion in 1963/64.

The season started with 4 victories, 3 at home, scoring 10 goals in the process. No defeats until 18 October at bogey ground Eastville. In November a set back. Sunderland travelled to the Valley and Billy Hughes broke his leg. He would be sidelined for 4 months, by which time he had well and truly lost his place. The only real reverse of any note was at yet another bogey ground; Southampton, where we suffered a 0 v 4 hiding.

By the turn of the year Sunderland were flying and the last 18 games would produce only 4 defeats, and one of them was with promotion secured. Promotion was secured on the 40th game of the season, The Easter Monday clash with Bolton Wanderers. The game attracted 51,983 supporters and the weather was beautiful, in fact everything was perfect...almost.

With Bolton including a very young Peter Reid, he who would go on to manage Sunderland some 20 years later, Wanderers came for a game. Towers and Robson gave the Lads a 2 v 0 victory before Wanderers pulled one back. It was nail biting stuff, and when Monty was injured in the second half at the Roker end there was a hush. All was well, we hung on, Monty was ok and we were up. The scenes were as you would expect awesome.

The last game of the season clinched the championship trophy with a 2 v 0 defeat of Portsmouth. Joe Bolton having his shooting boots on that day scored a rasper. The average crowd was nearly 33,000, easily the best in the division by some 12,000. If anyone deserved promotion then it was the famous Roker roar, they had been magnificent.

The FA Cup had provided highlights and big crowds as well.

It all started fairly tamely with 2 home victories over Oldham and hull city. We crept into the 5th round and faced Stoke City at the Victoria Ground. With 41,176 at the Potteries, including a massive contingent from Wearside an exciting 1 v 1 draw was witnessed and the Roker Park replay eagerly anticipated, at least by Sunderland! A stunning 47, 583 turned up to will the lads onto a 2 v 1 victory and the right to play 3rd division Crystal Palace in the last 8. With Newcastle United playing at Derby County that day there was every chance of a north East semi final but alas it wasn’t to be, as both went out.

The game on Wearside saw Malcolm Allison the Eagles Manager come out before the game to wind the Sunderland fans up. Unfortunately for him his Fedora hat was dislodged by an exuberant fan at the Fulwell end. Still with a Gypsies good luck message carried from round 3 Palace needn’t have worried. An Alan Whittle goal settled a tense affair in front of 50,850. Bob Moncur, as if to emphasise The Eagles good luck saw a shot rebound back off the woodwork.

The combined attendances for the 4 FA cup games were almost 160,000; incredible.

A memorable season. Promotion was effectively secured over the Easter with a 4-1 win at Hull (which has already been well documented on here) & confirmed v Bolton on the monday. If I remember correctly we played at Blackpool the day after Easter Monday & went in our thousands. We lost 0-1 with old nemesis Micky Walsh scoring for them.

A memorable season. Promotion was effectively secured over the Easter with a 4-1 win at Hull (which has already been well documented on here) & confirmed v Bolton on the monday. If I remember correctly we played at Blackpool the day after Easter Monday & went in our thousands. We lost 0-1 with old nemesis Micky Walsh scoring for them.

barry siddall's 2nd ever away game that - went down with the Plains Farm aggro boys

37 years ago this week, we played Stoke in the 5th round of the FA Cup.

0-0 draw away then the replay at Roker:

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

14th of February isnt in this week.

I remember going down with my Dad and Grandad, I dont think my Grandad ever went to a match before or after. Come to think of it, I dont remember him at the match, think he just stayed in the pub

Anybody at the Palacs cup game? Must have been gutting to lose a quarter final home tie to a third division team given our home record that season.:neutral:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back