“Tidal wave of sound” – Roker Park 1976

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Whittle

couldn't see us losing that day. even a draw would've been bad based on our home form and who we were playing. i left the ground numb and shell-shocked.

only the millwall semi-final surpasses that for shooting ourselves in the foot.

couldn't see us losing that day. even a draw would've been bad based on our home form and who we were playing. i left the ground numb and shell-shocked.

Agree 100%. Fortunately clinching promotion soon after took away that pain.

I remember the fedora.

must've been close to £1,000 worth of lose change thrown at the f**ker. you could've bought a house with that in those days.:lol:

i seem to remember a few snooker balls and other objects flying out of the fulwell. i think the police move big malc on for his own safety in the end.

must've been close to £1,000 worth of lose change thrown at the f**ker. you could've bought a house with that in those days.:lol:

i seem to remember a few snooker balls and other objects flying out of the fulwell. i think the police move big malc on for his own safety in the end.

I was in the Fulwell & had a good view. The police did make him move away for his own safety.

Last home game of 78-79 against Cardiff was up there too.

I remember a few half eaten pies and burgers being lobbed his way.

Was at all the home games that season. As a 14 yo. generally on me tod.

I remember a few half eaten pies and burgers being lobbed his way.

Mind he did the job for Palace. Took all the pressure off his team and put in on himself.

Or maybe it wasn't tactics, just that he was such a big headed bugger he wanted all the attention.

Whatever..it worked.

The Crystal Palace game in the next round was a classic. Even though we lost I remember it will. Bobby Moncur hit the bar, allison got his Fedora knocked off his barnet by someone throwing a snooker ball from The fulwell End and the Palace fans got the run around.

Edit = I'm sure that Palace's game in the 5th round was against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge where there was also hell on. The game was on MOTD.

The Crystal Palace game in the next round was a classic. Even though we lost I remember it will. Bobby Moncur hit the bar, allison got his Fedora knocked off his barnet by someone throwing a snooker ball from The fulwell End and the Palace fans got the run around.

Edit = I'm sure that Palace's game in the 5th round was against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge where there was also hell on. The game was on MOTD.

Tjhis game was on youtube but I cant find it now :-( I'm sure Denis Longhorn hit the barr with a screamer also.

Great game, Stoke were doing well in the top flight at the time and we deserved to win.
On the back of that win I could see us doing well when we got promoted, as usual it didn't go that way:cry:

Great game, Stoke were doing well in the top flight at the time and we deserved to win.
On the back of that win I could see us doing well when we got promoted, as usual it didn't go that way:cry:

Yes one of those great nights that sometime get a bit forgotten.

Another was the second replay against Derby in the League Cup when they were on top. Hat trick from Vic Halom..
\

I remember a shot crashing down off the underside of the crossbar at the Fulwell End. Was thinking it was Dick Malone for some reason but I’ve got a match report in front of me now that says it was Longhorn.

Yes one of those great nights that sometime get a bit forgotten.

Another was the second replay against Derby in the League Cup when they were on top. Hat trick from Vic Halom..
\

Yep, 73-74 season - Cloughie’s mighty Derby team blown away by VIC HALOM, VIC HALOM, VIC HALOM and the Fulwell End Wall Of Sound…

I remember a shot crashing down off the underside of the crossbar at the Fulwell End. Was thinking it was Dick Malone for some reason but I’ve got a match report in front of me now that says it was Longhorn.

Yep, 73-74 season - Cloughie’s mighty Derby team blown away by VIC HALOM, VIC HALOM, VIC HALOM and the Fulwell End Wall Of Sound…
Longhorn? I stand corrected.

Derby game. Afternoon fixture due to power cuts? If not what game am I thinking about?

i don't think the palace fans enjoyed their big day.
it was the first (and only?) time away fans were put in the fulwell side of the mainstand paddock. people climbed over the fence and got stuck straight into them.
the biggest kicking they got was outside the main stand amongst the parked cars.
for some reason i seem to remember a few of them getting a good hiding near the big roundabout next to the wheatsheaf. i have a vision of them getting pasted on a petrol station forecourt but i can't remember one around there. i didn't usually go that way home so i can't remember why i was even there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back