“Tidal wave of sound” – Roker Park 1976

Status
Not open for further replies.

Which paper was the article from. The form of English used in the report appears very dated when compared to most current football reporting.

...I was at the away game as well - we all thought Alan Hudson might tear us to shreds but it never happened (we all thought that about Eddie Gray at Wembley 3 years before and we know what happened there!)

Stoke were not the most welcoming fans around........T***s!

Some people have an unhealthy obsession with Roker Park on here like.

because you cant begin to describe the atmoshere unless you were there on these special nights no roofs built around the stadium to amplify the sound this was pure makem the 12 th man

Which paper was the article from. The form of English used in the report appears very dated when compared to most current football reporting.

Probably something like the Times or the Guardian too much writing for the red tops.

My flat-mate, from Doncaster, had been dragged to a few Sunderland games by me, but this was his first "big" one. He couldn't believe the atmosphere. He sweated about a stone off in the middle of the Fulwell 'cos he had a git big duffel coat on. Brilliant night

Was at both games. Travelled to the away tie on one of the "football special" trains that used to run in the 70s. Agree with the poster that said they weren't the most welcoming fans, horrible lot ! Had flu for the replay at RP but went anyway. Great night, packed RP & brilliant atmosphere. We had Palace at home in the QF & a promotion/Wembley double looked a possibility. Was not to be though. We were soon back at Stoke as it was our opening fixture back in the top flight. Their lot were as welcoming as they had been in the cup game, if you call getting showered with missiles on your way back to the coaches a "welcome" .

one of my top 10 Roker Park games

I reckon anyone’s top ten at RP would probably include a disproportionate number of mid-week games. There was something about big games under the lights.

It didn’t always have to be a cup game to generate a “tidal wave of noise” either. Here’s the second division game with promotion rivals Bristol City a few weeks later:

Logon or register to see this image

I reckon anyone’s top ten at RP would probably include a disproportionate number of mid-week games. There was something about big games under the lights.

It didn’t always have to be a cup game to generate a “tidal wave of noise” either. Here’s the second division game with promotion rivals Bristol City a few weeks later:

Logon or register to see this image

only dropped 2 home points that season

Bristol City

and

Bristol Rovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back